Home Main Category Personal Defense

FN Five Seven

UseyUsey MemberPosts: 102 Member
Opinions? I want one bad but not willing to pay 2500+ for one to the price gougers on gun broker...anyone in the louisiana area know anyone looking to sell all shops in the baton rouge area are sold out...

Replies

• FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    What's a Five Seven?
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I heard a weenie on the radio call the 5.7 an assault pistol.
    I enjoy the hell out of mine.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    My BIL has one. When I asked him what the big deal was he went on a long rant about how the best ammo was illegal or something. Other than the obscure article or two I've read, that's all I know.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • UseyUsey Member Posts: 102 Member
    Ya deff will not pay 2500 for one but the ballistics and performance of it is pretty good from all the stuff I researched plus 30 rounds on your hip is a good feeling...I've seen a lot of stuff that alot of spec forces units are carrying five sevens.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I heard a weenie on the radio call the 5.7 an assault pistol.

That's pretty much it's design purpose. A little pistol that renders body armor useless although civilians can't get the ammo that the gun was meant to fire. We know how that works though. My friend has one and I didn't care for it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I like mine a lot, so does my brother but IMO that's too much money for one, it is a gun that a lot of folks get and don't like, I know someone that got one on a private sale for $300 mostly because the seller was in a financial bind and then the ammo here was ridiculoulsy expensive, $50 for 50 rounds!!!

Hopefully all the ban stuff will not come to fruition and they will be available at more reasonable prices, if not those that got them new for a grand and took good care of them have some ammo hoarded up made a very good investment.

As this is the self defense section regarding if it is an effective gun in that scenario it is the gun the murderer at Ft. Hood used in his killing spree. It is also used by some "elite forces" around the world.

Seems that it is also used by the White House and president's secret service detail along the P90 PDW which uses the same ammo and that there is data on actual uses claiming that due to it's velocity, around 2300 FPS and that the round being around and inch long plus it tumbles in soft tissue it is a very effective attacker stopper, also that all that have been shot in vital areas have perished. Now it is without a doubt a toy looking plastic gun and that irritates a lot of folks.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Neat concept. Lost on civilian ownership because it was a gun designed for a particular purpose, that being essentially as a defacto PDW capable of defeating armor. Seeing as how you can't get penetrating rounds anymore its a handgun that's a neat gun, but little more than a curio...IMHO. Kind of like driving a Lamborghini around NYC...looks neat, has some appeal because of what it is, but mostly pointless from a functional standpoint...
    As far as I know the AP bullets incorporate some kind of a steel penetrator (SS190...IIRC)...not available on the civilian market. They were for a while, but were pulled by FN, they are the only ones that manufacture the ammo, last I saw the few boxes that were out there were going for around $500 for 50...
    Then again other than size, what's the benefit when you can just go get/build an AR pistol that carries 30 rounds of .223.

For home defense I also vote for an AR pistol, concealment the AR pistol is huge! The FN 57 works for CCW much better and being so light comfortable.

There are those that claim that some of the civilian available ammo can penetrate armor and yes reloading could deal with that issue.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well it IS a WHOLE lot easier to conceal the FN handgun that an AR pistol. But another point I failed to add, I tried just about every available commercial round and never got that 100 yard head shot capable accuracy everyone talks about.

Well what I have read is that the P90 is a 50 yard head shot gun in the hands of folks that use them and practice for real life stuff and that the handgun can be a centermass 100 yard gun, there was an article on a gun magazine that also claimed that the handgun was "accurate" to 200 yards... I don't recall what their definition of accurate was.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,320 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Well what I have read is that the P90 is a 50 yard head shot gun in the hands of folks that use them and practice for real life stuff and that the handgun can be a centermass 100 yard gun, there was an article on a gun magazine that also claimed that the handgun was "accurate" to 200 yards... I don't recall what their definition of accurate was.

So now that everybody's feeling all fast-ropey and tacti-cool, would this be a bad time to to bring up Elmer Keith's 600 yard mule deer kill, made with a S&W revolver?:roll:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    How about a 100 yard headshot on a coyote with a five seven.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    RIA arms has a 1911 chambered for .22 TCM, essentially a short 5.56 cartridge, somewhat similar and you can hand-load armor piecing bullets.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    FiveSeven wrote: »
    How about a 100 yard headshot on a coyote with a five seven.

Consistently? I've lucked hits into critters at some stupid ranges, but wouldn't bet money that I could do it again on request....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I didn't make the shot but i saw it. It was a bet.....which i lost. My buddy was pretty impressed with himself after that one.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    So now that everybody's feeling all fast-ropey and tacti-cool, would this be a bad time to to bring up Elmer Keith's 600 yard mule deer kill, made with a S&W revolver?:roll:

Was it an S&W or a Ruger, was it was chambered in Magnum 44?

The late Bob Munden on the TV show "Impossible Shots" made a 600 yard shot with I think a 44 magnum revolver, he shot at a metal target and a red balloon was placed on it to make the hit evident, not a lot of energy is required to pop a balloon and I am ignorant about this so I am asking, as the story goes Keith killed a Mule deer with the revolver round, does that round have the legs to do so at 600 yards, was it perhaps something loaded up so capable of this?
    There are lucky shots, no question about it.

I shoot my Ruger 22/45 a lot at 25 yards, once at the 100 yard range an IPSC buddy kept making the statement that 22 LR was only accurate to 25 yards, I know this is not so as I make 1.5" groups all day long with my CZ 452 at 100 yards with bulk ammo so I figure give it a whirl, not having the CZ at hand I pulled out the 22/45 and took aim at an 8" plate set at a 100 yards, I am not a precision handgun shot by any means, but soon enough with bulk ammo and the aid of a rest I was hitting the plate 8 out of 10 times, I know that my FN 57 can be more accurate than my plain Ruger 22/45 so in the right hands a decent group at 100 yards with the FN ought to be doable, now doing so in the heat of the moment is another thing but some folks train for just that for a living on our pocket.

This guy at the range pretty much can hit the 8" plate at 100 yards with an HK P7 all day long, give him a gun he has never shot and he wont be able to do so off the back, another guy that makes one hole groups all day long with a precision rifle at 100 yards can't hit the side of a barn with a revolver!

It is more a matter of training and practice, lots of it and keeping this to one weapon pays off for some folks.

This sounds like fiction, still for entertainment I'll share. There this tale I heard on the local IPSC circle about a kid whose dad has deep pockets so he built a range at home for him to practice daily after school, dad provided him with 500 rounds per day, at a match he faced one of the top shooters on a man to man stage, al metal targets, first to clean his side wins and the kid told the RO to take down 2 of the poppers on the top shooter's side and still cleaned the floor on him.

On one fiction book I read it claim that some "special forces" types would shoot constantly for practice between 1000-2000 rounds with their main gun every week, doubt also that their weapons are off the rack, not necessarily a fact but I would not be surprised that not so far from reality maybe not capable of hitting a bumble bee on demand but guys at this level ought to make seriously small groups.
    Next time I get to the range I'll take some pics.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    Elmer used a S&W Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel to make that shot...You need to remember that Elmer worked at long range revolver shooting extensively...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,662 Senior Member
    I think the round would work well in a HD weapon. The rapid expansion of a 40gr V-max would have less penetration thru walls than most bullets, but would be a little tamer firing in a house.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Elmer used a S&W Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel to make that shot...You need to remember that Elmer worked at long range revolver shooting extensively...

No doubt that hitting the target at that distance is doable, reinforced that when I mentioned that Bob Munden did a similar shot, question is if the 44 magnum round at that distance has the legs to take down the mentioned mule deer, many a time I read here that taking a shot at that distance and less at game with a RIFLE is not the responsible thing to attempt, at least for mere humans.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'll volunteer the 200-yard gong a the SE Shoot as a test range. My grandkids were sticking orange target dots over the 2" hole in the center of that marine engine flywheel and putting .223 bullets through it from somebody's AR without touching the steel with boring regularity.
    Jerry
  • AKToshiAKToshi New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    As far as I know the AP bullets incorporate some kind of a steel penetrator (SS190...IIRC)...not available on the civilian market. They were for a while, but were pulled by FN, they are the only ones that manufacture the ammo, last I saw the few boxes that were out there were going for around $500 for 50...

I don't know where you're buying your ammo, but in Alaska it's only $80 for 50 rounds. Also Hornady signed a contract to start manufacturing 5.7x28mm because FN can't keep up with sales demands. Also there are three different types of ammunition for the Five-Seven. I know only one is available for civilians and the other two are military application only. The blue tipped rounds are civilian. I can't remember about the other two.
    Some talk too much, others don't talk at all. Few are up for the moment, welcome to life.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    AKToshi wrote: »
    I don't know where you're buying your ammo, but in Alaska it's only $80 for 50 rounds. Also Hornady signed a contract to start manufacturing 5.7x28mm because FN can't keep up with sales demands. Also there are three different types of ammunition for the Five-Seven. I know only one is available for civilians and the other two are military application only. The blue tipped rounds are civilian. I can't remember about the other two.
    Welcome to the forum.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

I was referring to the AP ammo...IIRC it was available for civilians for a short amount of time when first introduced, and then pulled... I am pretty sure I saw a few boxes of it out on the interwebs going for extremely high prices...I am fully aware that civilian/non AP (SS196/7) ammo is available...I was answering the question relating to why the weapon is not in its civilian form what the original designers intended.

And I had forgotten about the Hornaday thing, but since FN owns the patents to the design, I'm sure Hornaday will have to refrain from manufacturing the original "mil-spec" ammo or bullets...

Below is a link to a site still selling "Pre-ban" AP (SS190) ammo for the low, low price of $19.95-$24.95 per round...Or about $1000 for a box of 50....
    http://www.ammo-one.com/5-7x28mm.html

Thanks.
    I don't know where you're buying your ammo, but in Alaska it's only $80 for 50 rounds.

Check to see if it is made by FN and type SS 190, if it was obtained by the LGS before it was banned and legal to buy, get all of it!

FN makes more than one type of the 5.7 x 28 round but only the SS 190, is deemed to have "armor piercing" capability, saw once a video where a round went through 7 bulletproof vests. There are claims that the SS195 and SS197 where also armor piercing capable and banned but Hornady after the ban came with their version of SS197 and has been selling over the counter for years.

Whatever of the armor piercing deemed rounds remain on the hands of civilians as they where banned very early on if procured legally where purchased before the ban and why those that got any ask such elevated prices for it.

Some claim that some of the still legal for civilians to buy versions of this round will also go through body armor. I don't reload so a lot of that stuff is foreign to me but seems you can use SS 109 62 grain bullets for this?

The other versions of the round, at least here in Puerto Rico are legal to be sold to civilians and they go for around $35 a box of 50 rounds, Midway USA obviously is out of stock and is not even taking backorders on it but advertises the Hornady SS197SR 50 round box for $23.99.

$80 for 50 rounds of the non banned stuff seems steep but I got no idea on how stuff is priced due to your location?