Breaking in the .280 Remington. (Caution - Autopsy Photos)

1235»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I seem to recall someone shooting a deer front on with a 404 a few years back. There was some conjecture about the entry and exit wound from one of the members here as the bullet placement was into the centre of the chest and travelled the full length of the animal. The entry point looked more like an exit than the other end of the animal.

My belief, is that when a bullet enters an airtight 'vessel' which an animal certainly is, it will pressurise the contents and can have the effect of blowing out the entry hole on some occasions. I have experienced this myself with a quartering shot on a deer where I put the bullet behind its left shoulder and it came out in front off its offside shoulder. In doing so, the heart was blown out through the entry wound along with part of its ribs.........

Yes, sir. That was me. You and I had nearly identical effects with the bullet building a pressure wave so intense, and so quickly, that it shot the contents of the inards back out the weakened entry hole before the bullet's shockwave had a chance to blow everything out the exit wound as we usually see with the entry/exit realationship. This was the doe that demonstrated the same effect in my case, and Barnes' ballistician did affirm on hypothesis on that principle.

Entry wound:
    Deerentrywound.jpg

Exit wound:
    Nebraskadoeexitwound.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

280Rem140grBergerBodyShot01-132.jpg

I can haz venizun??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    In this video, a donkey is shot with a .375 Ruger (it is in Australia where they are an invasive species like hogs are down south). You can actually see the shock wave travel through it's body...
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    One other thing with regards to the p-dogs... There is physics at work here, total surface area to body weight that diminishes as the quarry gets larger... Humans... Elk... The small size of a pdog, I think, is what lends itself to the vaporization.

Not hydraulic shock.
    No, its hydrostatic shock, you are just seeing more of the effect exposed because the critter is small. The bullet will do the same thing in a big critter, you just dont see it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    Plenty of humans have been hit in history with cannon balls, and that is probably closer to a 40gr bullet vs p-dog then an elk. I have read about entire limbs being ripped off or bodies being torn in half but I don't recall ever hearing about vaporized humans from cannon fire. But that, in comparison is an extremely low velocity round.
    A cannon ball is so low velocity and it is non expanding, it has crushing power, not shock. More like a roundball from a flinter, You dont get a massive wound channel, you get a hole, a 50+ caliber hole, but a hole.
    This thread has a heart shot on it and you do the stare and compare. http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2917592#Post2917592
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I can haz venizun??

Ja Hanz, sie kan vinizun habben. BTW that cat is getting hungrier everytime I look at this pic. I think he's praying for something to eat... :silly: :roll2::roll2::roll2:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,655 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Ja Hanz, sie kan vinizun habben. BTW that cat is getting hungrier everytime I look at this pic. I think he's praying for something to eat... :silly: :roll2::roll2::roll2:

You have no idea what he was talking about.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    You have no idea what he was talking about.

No I guess not because I'm not IMming and emailing everybody behind the scenes.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,655 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    No I guess not because I'm not IMming and emailing everybody behind the scenes.

Nor am I.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    man, they get to shoot so many more cool things in Australia. Donkeys, various wild bovine, camels, goats, sheep, kangaroos, pigs....probably missing another half dozen imported feral animals. Might get expensive on bullets.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Linefinder told you about this. If you would shoot a .270 with a good, separating cup and core bullet, you could call yourself a rifleman, rather than a tracker. ;)

No truer words were ever spoken.
1235»