Deer Season is over and Hogs are on!

2»

Replies

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    They're a little GE fixture I bought at Wally World. They have two 6 inch fluorescent bulbs and use 4 AA batteries.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Four dry cell batteries of any kind, AAA, AA, or even D cells probably produce 6 volts when they're connected in series. (1.5 volts each). How about just using a 6 volt wet-cell motorcycle battery and recharge it once a night? Since you're not walking around with it, why not just use a full-sized 6 volt car battery?

Here's one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-Honda-C70M-Yuasa-Standard-6-Volt-Battery-6N11-2D-/230870922676?hash=item35c0fab5b4&item=230870922676&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,478 Senior Member
    For a given light, LED's are going to give you more output using less power. You can use them for floundering too.
    I've thought about a motor cycle battery, but wasn't sure if it would work. But I bet it would last all night. OK, I'll give it a whirl.

Ya know, those four AAs were bright up to right before they went dead. I thought they were going to last all night for awhile. Then when the front blew in, it wasn't 10 minutes and they were half what they had been. Then another 3-4 minutes and they were out. At first I thought it was getting foggy because I looked up and the light was real dim. Didn't take long. I think it was a combination of 3 hours of being on and then the cold. You know batteries and cold. Heat is energy's friend. Cold is its enemy. Oh well, Heat IS energy.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    For a given light, LED's are going to give you more output using less power. You can use them for floundering too.

Yeah, I will eventually try the LEDs. Right now I'm set up and will pursue what I have. But LEDs are probably in my future here.
    Robert90 wrote: »
    Well, I'm rigging up the lights for two feeders and will try them out this weekend, that is my grandson and I, will go out this weekend at about 6 PM, turn the feeder lights on and hunt till they go dim. I figure they should last 4-5 hours. That should give us time for hogs to show up. I'm making a bucket of sour corn as we speak. I just put about a teaspoon of baker's yeast in a five gallon bucket with warm water and corn.

Yep, and for those home brewers out there reading this, I know all about different yeasts as I was a wine maker and home brewer. However, I still recommend using baker's yeast for this. It makes a smellier product and it does it fast. In the middle east, in places like Kuwait and Saudi, westerners make wine because it's easy and it can be fast. I knew an Irishman who made wine with Rauches' Grape Juice, Sugar, and Baker's Yeast. He would ferment it four days and pour it through a coffee filter and drink it. And it was surprisingly good. Bakers yeast, when started in warm water can go from idle to top end speed in record time, where some beer and wine yeast take days to cultivate, that is multiply. Baker's yeast also makes a clearer product faster. Only problem is if you are a picky drinker and happen to actually enjoy the taste of alcoholic beverages, baker's yeast sucks. But who cares here, I mean we're dealing with Swine!!! And Swine ain't picky. They'll pick quantity over quality any day.

Of course, no fine wine or beer connoisseur is going to be taste testing this and the smellier the better. Most people just cover corn with water and let it sit for a week. The natural bacteria on the corn will do it. However, this time of year, as cool as it tends to be, those natural bacteria aren't as fast or as concentrated as a cultured yeast that you can add warm water to and jump start. You can get it soured in 3-4 days using yeast and keeping it in a warm environment in your house. Most dry yeast won't be very active below 70 degrees F so keep it in a fairly warm room, between 75 and 80 degrees. Of course, your wife may throw both you and the corn out the back door because it can smell up the house. If you've got a bathroom with a vent fan directed to the outside it will help.

And a known yeast culture won't give you some kind of rogue culture that will produce some off the wall smell and taste that might actually keep the hogs away. Of course, it would have to be pretty bad to keep a hog away.

Just remember when concocting this brew, not to add water that is above 98-100 degrees F because it can kill the yeast. But get it as close to that as possible to help get it going faster.
    Like I said, I mainly use the store bought yeast because it's faster.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Four dry cell batteries of any kind, AAA, AA, or even D cells probably produce 6 volts when they're connected in series. (1.5 volts each). How about just using a 6 volt wet-cell motorcycle battery and recharge it once a night? Since you're not walking around with it, why not just use a full-sized 6 volt car battery?

Here's one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-Honda-C70M-Yuasa-Standard-6-Volt-Battery-6N11-2D-/230870922676?hash=item35c0fab5b4&item=230870922676&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Jerry

I agree with Jerry.
    For what you want to achieve, dont mess around with batteries best suited to your 'Boom box' or walkman.

Go get yourself one or 2 of these............. http://www.newbattery.co.nz/Alarm.htm

They are 12v 7amp/h Gel batteries. I use them for spotlighting as I dont have to worry about spilling battery acid.

If you know someone who services home burglar alarms ask them nicely for some of the replacement batteries.......over here they normally replace them every 3 years even if they dont need replacing. There is normally nothing wrong with them after 3 years that a good charge wont cure. Charge it up at a maximum rate of 1 amp and it should be good to go. Get him to give you 2 or three.

Then go buy a few of these.......... http://cmledlighting.co.nz/work-lamps/work-lamp-rectangular-16-led-12v-twin-pack-b-p
    Current draw on these is .11amps per hour. Four of these should last over 12hrs on a 7 amp/h battery.

Being LED's they have a very low current draw compared with normal halogen lights. They will last a heck of a lot longer than normal lights. If you like, you can use led brake lights which will give you a red light that wont disturb the hogs as much as a white light.
    If you can, buy the sealed ones which will work underwater. That way you can use them for flounder lights when you are not chasing hogs.

Dont set the lights up on the feeder. Set them up away from the feeder so that they 'shine' towards it which will stop you getting shadows esp under the feeder stand.

If you want, save yourself some hassles with the charging and get a solar charger.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/

It will save you 'spreading' your scent around the feeder when you want to shoot hogs.

Get yourself a timer and rig the whole thing up. The timer will allow the hogs to get used to the light.

Go shoot some bacon.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,195 Senior Member
    His lights are 6 volt. 12 volt batteries and 6 volt lights dont mix.
    There are 6 volt rechargeable batteries out there. Most commonmy found in exit and emergency lights.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    There are 6 volt rechargeable batteries out there. Most commonmy found in exit and emergency lights.

cpj speaks the truth. Also I called up that company that makes those alarm batteries and talked to a technical representative. He says that AA batteries are about. 1.22 Volts each for a total of 4.80 4.90 volts and that it would be detrimental to the light over time to use a 6 volt battery. However he said to call GE and ask them if they thought this light would hold up to 6 volts.

Also Alec, where I have my lights are on the very bottom of the feeder timer-motor box. Nothing between the ground where the hogs eat and the light but air and hopefully Hog. So it doesn't give shadows off of anything. All I need is hogs to cooperate. Oh, and yeah, also a better battery arrangement.

I'm also looking into the LED thing. I don't know if I want to use a red light. True, the hogs would probably like it better, but I don't know how well I could see them in a red light.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Snake, the lights will work with a 6V lead-acid battery- - - -trust me on this! All it will take is a little tinkering with a soldering iron and some 18-20 gauge wire. If you want to get fancy, incorporate a garage door opener controller and a RF relay to turn the lights on and off from your hidey-hole. Radio Shack will probably have the necessary electronics to do that, if you can get past the salesman trying to sell you a cell phone to the shrinking part of the store where they have the electronic hobbyists' parts!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    An inverter is WAY over complicating things. WAY.
    Mike, the 6 volt will work fine.
    Zee
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I'm no expert with electronic gagets. I'm going to get the 6 volt. However, I may change lights because I know Fluorescent lights are sensitive to cold. How do LEDs hold up to cold temps? And also, can you get a 6 volt or thereabouts LED light?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,227 Senior Member

Did you miss the bit about buying 12v Led worklights................?
    orchidman wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit about buying 12v Led worklights................?

Ummmm, no?

I was just testing you. Yeah. Thats it. Testing you.
    Zee
    This is what you need.
    http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12955_-1

Walmart likely has them too. I replied to your IM, ut nkt sure if it went through.

The above light and a 12 volt battery will outlast you in the woods. Leds are not temperature sensitive like florescent lights, draw very little current, and this particular one is weatherproof.
    Zee
    Ummmm, no?

I was just testing you. Yeah. Thats it. Testing you.

Did I pass?
    Or was it one of the new fangled edumacation thingies where nobody fails and everybody passes....................
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,478 Senior Member
    An inverter is WAY over complicating things. WAY.
    Mike, the 6 volt will work fine.
    ...But I got all that stuff. Actually not the batteries (that I would spare), but I do have one of these looking for a purpose in life...
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/energizer-12-volt-commercial-battery-group-size-8d/prod6780015.ip?navAction=push
    I have more corn souring as we speak. I haven't been back out there since Saturday night, but it's a bit cool, LOL!!! Now all you Yankee boys tell me how big a wimp I am. I don't care, it's just too warm and toasty here inside. Of course there's no hogs to shoot in here. SO I guess I need to venture forth tomorrow night. But got a meeting first at 7:30 PM. I should be through at about 9 and can get over there by 10. The Porkers should be out and about by that time.

Now, I guess until I get a gel cell battery in, the AAs will have to suffice.
    I ordered these LED lights. There's 9 little LEDs in the head and it each head uses 3 AAA batteries that are suposedly good for 10 hours.
    http://www.100candles.com/i/6460/Nine-LED-Battery-Operated-Lantern-Light-Lantern-Illuminater

I tried em last night here in the house with all the lights off. Each head seems to put out about twice as much light as one of the Fluorescent lights do and it gives you 3 times the duration as they do with four AAs using 3AAAs instead.

My friend Arnold, , my youngest son, James, and I are headed out tonight to try em out.
2»