Going to Georgia....

Grizz1219Grizz1219 MemberPosts: 424 Member
Some friends that took me sword fishing asked me to come down and call turkeys for them in March... I of course said yes, but asked if I could take a hog while I was there and they said no problem!!! So... I might get my first feral hog this March... Just got to call in a few turkeys first!!!! So.. my question is... for an eater hog, what am I looking for?? Size... boar.. sow???

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,001 Senior Member
    150 lbs or less, in my opinion, but bigger ones are sometimes OK.

I quarter them and leave them in an ice chest in the back of my pickup to slosh around for week. I add ice and drain the water every day. The blood leeches out and it looks like store-bought pork. I've never had a gamy one in the smaller sized ones, by preparing it this way.
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    So shoot a nice small hog.... I figure I'm going with carry on only... I'll pack it in my carrry cooler and ship clothes back if I have too.. LOL
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    Some friends that took me sword fishing asked me to come down and call turkeys for them in March... I of course said yes, but asked if I could take a hog while I was there and they said no problem!!! So... I might get my first feral hog this March... Just got to call in a few turkeys first!!!! So.. my question is... for an eater hog, what am I looking for?? Size... boar.. sow???

I prefer a 80-100 pound Sow, although my last hog was a 200-250 pound (I didn't weigh it) boar. He smelled to high heaven until I took his jammas off (Skinned Him) but he was fat and in good shape. When I cut the meat up it smelled good.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Small hog, Grizz.....60-80 lbs, something like that, maybe 100 lbs is OK. You'll get the best meat out of that.
    Where in Georgia? Biggest state east of the Mississippi, you know, and most of it is excellent turkey habitat, especially here in the Southern part.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,338 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

I quarter them and leave them in an ice chest in the back of my pickup to slosh around for week. I add ice and drain the water every day. The blood leeches out and it looks like store-bought pork. I've never had a gamy one in the smaller sized ones, by preparing it this way.

^This^.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    not sure where their lease is.... I'll find out... I think they said it was a 5 hour ride from Orlando airport to get there .. if that helps... I'm thinking if I get the chance, I'm shooting some little piggies and bringing them weeeeee weeeeee weeeee all the way home.. LOL
    Small hog, Grizz.....60-80 lbs, something like that, maybe 100 lbs is OK. You'll get the best meat out of that.
    Where in Georgia? Biggest state east of the Mississippi, you know, and most of it is excellent turkey habitat, especially here in the Southern part.

Edison Ga....
    The big city of Edison....maybe 75 miles or so from me. That's the southwest corner of Georgia. All large agricultural or timberland holdings in the area. I manage the timber/wildlife on a 1,500 acre tract not 10 miles from Edison. Just spent last Sunday up there entertaining a couple of guests for my client introducing them to quail hunting with flintlocks. The birds were totally safe :roll2:! I'm going to send you a private message later today. I've been having trouble with this...pm'd shush and Hawken both unsuccessfully....so if you don't get it later this evening please give me a "heads-up" and I'll simply tell you here on the Forum.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,288 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

But...But I LIKE my piggies to taste like pig!!! Growing up in PR most of the pork you bought was local farm raised and there was no such thing as castrating them or commercial feed for that matter. They grew eating the farmers garbage and anything else they could get their tusks on. I was so used to pork "smelling" like pork that when I came to the states and someone fed me some pork chops I asked what they were. Store bought pork is tasteless and I seldom buy because of that. I do like my pig drained of blood but that is usually attained by a good heart shot or head shot followed by a quick knife slash to a main artery.

I also LOVE pig blood sausage with intestines used as casings.. Yummmmmmm...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,001 Senior Member
    I like pork in all its various forms. I've never eaten any that was too rank for me. But this is just a good way to care for the meat and get the blood out. Plus, it is just the right temperature for butchering when you take it out.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,202 Senior Member
    Grizz you will be about 3 hours west of me, else I'd love to meet up. Good luck, and remember.....

"Squeal like a pig" is not an invitation to try to call in some hogs to shoot; rather, it's a mating call for lonely rednecks.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,038 Senior Member
    Good luck.

I lived in GA, even have a Georgia cracker in the family because of living there.
    I have a need for speed
    Grizz,

I fired off a PM to you and immediately got messages that there had been an error in transmission, wait 16 seconds (:uhm:) and resubmit.
    If it gets to you, fine. If not, let me know.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Grizz you will be about 3 hours west of me, else I'd love to meet up. Good luck, and remember.....

"Squeal like a pig" is not an invitation to try to call in some hogs to shoot; rather, it's a mating call for lonely rednecks.

Yeah and I hear some a those lonesome Red Necks can get mighty lonesome. I hear they just love Yankees!!!:silly::wink::roll2:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Grizz,

I fired off a PM to you and immediately got messages that there had been an error in transmission, wait 16 seconds (:uhm:) and resubmit.
    If it gets to you, fine. If not, let me know.

Got it and replied!!! Thanks!!!
    Buffco wrote: »

Point taken... LOL... I'll be hunting on a lease with some Florida boys.... But I'll run if I hearthat "call"... LOL