Home Main Category Personal Defense

Best home defense weapon

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    My killer Petbull loves to kill steaks and pork chops and sometimes he kills off 1/2 a chicken as a little snack.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Does my Jack Russel count as an attack dog???? Actually you wouldn't believe the amount of strength and courage that these little dogs pack. I have one that could corner a bobcat lol.
    Actually, I don't think the Jack Russel breed is as smart as people think, one bit My dog and I swear My dog looked like he was laughing.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Does my Jack Russel count as an attack dog???? Actually you wouldn't believe the amount of strength and courage that these little dogs pack. I have one that could corner a bobcat lol.

Isn't it "Jack Russell" with 2 "lls"? I don't know dog breeds so I may be wrong.

Thing about midsize or even small dogs isn't their attack power, although they can certainly distract an intruder. It's their guard ability and how they can provide an early warning system. They sound the alarm and you, being the "alpha dog", are now ready to take action to protect the family.

My big ol' cat's the same. Any movement on the walkway outside or any unusual noise, he's alert, ears perked up, his body perched in the ready position just like lions on the veldt. Of course, during an actual crisis, he'd just sit there, watch, and take side bets on who wins.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    "First thing was that I grebbed my XD .45, "

"Grebbing" is what I do when it's after midnight, ha ha.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Isn't it "Jack Russell" with 2 "lls"? I don't know dog breeds so I may be wrong.

Thing about midsize or even small dogs isn't their attack power, although they can certainly distract an intruder. It's their guard ability and how they can provide an early warning system. They sound the alarm and you, being the "alpha dog", are now ready to take action to protect the family.

My big ol' cat's the same. Any movement on the walkway outside or any unusual noise, he's alert, ears perked up, his body perched in the ready position just like lions on the veldt. Of course, during an actual crisis, he'd just sit there, watch, and take side bets on who wins.
    Yep it is two l's. But anyways. I know what you mean about the dog being an early alert system. Its funny how she knows the "usual" noises and doesn't make a peep when she hears them. But if she does stir in the night..... its real and you better grab the gun. ANd Doc, there are so many bastard breads of Jack Russells out there. I payed big bucks for mine and the paper that verifies she is AKC. You should see her climb a tree lol.
    I've known friends who owned Jack Russells and they seem to be wondeful, smart dogs, excellent house pets as well as "working" dogs. And not so big as they require huge runs or other large living space.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Of course, during an actual crisis, he'd just sit there, watch, and take side bets on who wins.

And probably cozy up to whoever wins hoping to get fed, if he's anything like the two furry moochers at my house... :roll:
    Decided to sell all my guns and revert to the organic style of home devense:

guard2.jpg

Will strike fear in the heart of evil.
  • swetilyswetily Banned Posts: 35 Member
    the same pistol that you SHOULD be ccwiing everywhere else should also be ccw'ed at home. You are most unlikely to be allowed to run and get ANY gun,and no, you don't carry a longarm everywhere in your home. You certainly don't take it out to mow the lawn, take out the trash or the pets, or get the mail, paper, etc., either. Remember, 90+% of the time, yo neve have to hit anyone with a bullet. What matters is the speed with which you can get a gun, any gun really, pointed at your attacker, while leaving him an "out". He will almost certainly take it, saving you the 50k expense of your having to defend your self in court, both criminally and civilly.
    "any gun really, pointed at your attacker, while leaving him an "out". He will almost certainly take it, saving you the 50k expense of your having to defend your self in court, both criminally and civilly."

Leaving your attacker that "out" can get you killed, it gives the attacker time to kill you.
    Who cares how much a defense in Court may cost, as long as you are alive ?

Then why not let your attacker kill you and save lots of money ? :confused:
    I said NOTHING about allowing him to keep firing at me, dude. I've held men at gun point 4x, have you? 3x my fast draw literally "blew their minds", you could see it in their faces. Had I shot them, with witnesses there, after they stopped their attacks, it would have been a murder case for me, and it will be the same for you. Sounds to me like your draw aint fast enough. Go TRY dropping a coin from waist height, using the back of whichever hand clears your concealing garment. See if you can even drysnap your ccw pistol before the coin hits the ground. Not 10 men alive are this fast.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    swetily wrote: »
    I said NOTHING about allowing him to keep firing at me, dude. I've held men at gun point 4x, have you? 3x my fast draw literally "blew their minds", you could see it in their faces. Had I shot them, with witnesses there, after they stopped their attacks, it would have been a murder case for me, and it will be the same for you. Sounds to me like your draw aint fast enough. Go TRY dropping a coin from waist height, using the back of whichever hand clears your concealing garment. See if you can even drysnap your ccw pistol before the coin hits the ground. Not 10 men alive are this fast.

Video Please
    $5.00 fine for no proof of such claims
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    where's the videos of all YOUR claims. Ask Ken Hackathorn, Rick Miller, Bill Wilson, Mickey Fowler, Mike Dalton, Mas Ayoob about John Davis and his draw speed. :-)
    where's the videos of all YOUR claims. Ask Ken Hackathorn, Rick Miller, Bill Wilson, Mickey Fowler, Mike Dalton, Mas Ayoob about John Davis and his draw speed. :-)

Well first of all I have NEVER made any claims in the three years I have been on this forum,and I did not start out by being condensending to the members here.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Well Quickdraw McGraw here is sure making a reputation heah !!!
    Sounds more like Quickdraw McMall Ninja
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    He is most likely a disgruntled former forum member trying to sneak back privily with none the wiser.

Quickdraw McMall Ninja sounds about right.

He will not hesitate, he will brake bones. (break)
    And boots...don't forget the boots
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    He is the rootinist tootinist shootinist meanist hombre west of the Peccos !!!

unYS11a.jpg
    I like it
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I like this new guy. Can we keep him? Huh? Huh? Can we?

I see hours and hours of mindless intertainment. :popcorn:
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I said NOTHING about allowing him to keep firing at me, dude. I've held men at gun point 4x, have you?
    Do we really want to get into pee-pee measuring? Are wanting a medal or some form of honoring for this accomplishment of yours? Wait......here ya go.......:applause:

3x my fast draw literally "blew their minds", you could see it in their faces.
    Was it your 'fast draw' that blew their minds or the fact that the 'bad decision bug' just bit them in the butt?

Sounds to me like your draw aint fast enough. Go TRY dropping a coin from waist height, using the back of whichever hand clears your concealing garment. See if you can even drysnap your ccw pistol before the coin hits the ground. Not 10 men alive are this fast.
    Are you among these ten men?

:popcorn:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    :popcorn:

Dude...the new guy probably MAKES Gladiator movies...

I'll start the countdown....10.....9....8...7......
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Dude...the new guy probably MAKES Gladiator movies...

Stop that! I am in tears! Can't. Stop. Laughing.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    My head is spinning from all the good info you guys have posted on this thread.Thanks.
    I guess that the bottom line is " What works the best for YOU".
    I'm working on assimilating all that info & putting some kind of simplified package together.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    My head is spinning from all the good info you guys have posted on this thread.Thanks.
    I guess that the bottom line is " What works the best for YOU".
    I'm working on assimilating all that info & putting some kind of simplified package together.

I'm guessing it's the lack of oxygen due to laughing so hard.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    A dog, or dogs in my case, are IMO the best alarm system. Although most of my late night alarms have mostly critters. However, when they get old they, like us, loose a lot of there alertness and hearing. My 12yr old Lab wouldn't become aroused unless
    the BG tried to steel the couch she's sleeping on. I travel a lot, often being gone for weeks, my wife always has her Lady Smith
    nearby and her little imitation Dog hears everything. My Son,when he lived in Phoenix, during a one year period was awakened
    twice by the Dog to discover a BG attempting to open the glass sliding doors to the bedroom. In both incidents the BG was
    alerted by the Dog and fled before he was shot!! The BG was very lucky, a Colt 1911 ,45 was almost his demise!!
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    If you can place a bullet with surgical precision from an accurate handgun, even if it is .22 LR, lets say My Ruger MK ll, I somehow doubt anyone wants second helpings of blammo, I mean if I shoot a bad guy in the thorax 3-4 times, I think by that time the guy will be in a hurry to get away as quickly as possible, I doubt he will say, it was only a .22 LR !!!!

And yes, My dog is a great help to Me, hears everything I don't and when he growls, I know it is not good !!!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    There's no right answer. I note that most of the responses center around the gun (what type, etc.) and none take into account the environment. Like who else is in the house, penetration, and where the bullet or shot is going if it doesn't go in the bad guy.

If this is for older people, that affects the type weapon that might be best. A hammer shotgun may not be the right choice. I let my old mother borrow my Win Model 37 shotgun because she was worried (as lots of older women are) about bad guys, although she'd never had a bad guy steal anything from her before, or any other encounter with bad guys. I think this paranoia is a product of the aging process.

Anyway, one night a possum tried crawling up a drain pipe. My old mother thought it was a burglar and got the shotgun out and BACKED THE HAMMER. She panicked. And having backed it and finding out she was being terrorizd by a possum, she couldn't let the hammer down. I'd showed her, but she'd forgotten. I'm not sure she would have had the hand strength to let it down anyway, especially when scared.

So I had to drive up to her house, about 60 miles away, to take the shotgun away. It had set in the corner cocked and loaded for about a week before she called.

Which means training can be forgotten in time and with lack of practice. Generally, grannies don't practice. Also, old folks tend to panic more than young folks, at least my mother did. And some people, my mother, doesn't need a firearm. She did have my pistol before that, but fired it up in the air in response to dove hunters dropping shot on her roof. So I took the pistol, leaving my mother unarmed and still afraid. I was far more concerned with her shooting herself than with her getting robbed which just never happened in our neighborhood.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    First and foremost what they can handle the best and WILL TRAIN WITH when possible be it a revolver or shotgun or even a carbine.

nuff said