The last part of my .257 Roberts AI project is complete!

calebibcalebib Senior MemberPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
My very long term .257 Roberts AI Remington 700 project is nearing completion. The last component was completed today, the floorplate engraving. The barreled action is blued, I just need to get it from the bluer once he's back from vacation and I can get it all put together.
To avoid the fine, here's a pic of the freshly engraved floorplate.

58t6x.jpg

Replies

• ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Beautiful. Cant wait to see the end result and range report.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Beautiful. Cant wait to see the end result and range report.

Thanks, me too. I've put a ton of thought and effort into this rifle so I can't wait to see how it shoots.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Dude, that is SWEET! Can't wait to see the rest of it.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member

I know this rifle is going to be sweet! I can't wait to see it! :popcorn:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »

I know this rifle is going to be sweet! I can't wait to see it! :popcorn:

What Tim said! Drool......
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :beer: cool I bet it shoots good!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Very well done, that is beautiful, man I can't wait to see the whole rife put together. Man, just love good craftsmanship, especially in these day and times. :beer:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    My heart is with you on this one, as my .257 Bob AI is still in progress. I can't wait to get mine done. Thanks to robert38-55 I have brass for it. Now I need to get me a die and when I get the rifle I will load me some rounds and start fire forming brass.
    Mine will have a 1-10 twist barrel and I will shoot 115 bergers and 117 grain Sierra Game Kings and Hornaday Interlocks. Mine is on a Yugo Mauser action. I too am going to put a hinged floor plate on the action, but it will be aluminum for a couple reasons. ONe ot save weight and another to save money. Then I will Ceramicote the stainless barrel and bottom metal. The receiver's blue job is so nice I'm leaving it original military. I bought this one from Samco as a barreled action and the metal was pristine. Anyway, I will be interested to see how your's does with your range report.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Ya know, overall I am inclined to agree with those on here that say you no longer get a good gain out of the AI due to better powders these days, But I take exception with a couple of them. One being the 280 Remington AI and the other being the .257 Bob. I have seen ballistics on it and you get gains of up to 300+ FPS over the plain jane Bob. That's worth the effort in anybodies book. I have an old Speer #9 loading manual that said this 35 years ago. And if you look around on the net you will still see good gains, even with the most modern propellents. It puts the BOB in another class. I will have my smith throat mine out a bit so it will take the longer heavier bullets without cutting into powder capacity. In the Yugo Action I'll have plenty of room for that. Are you using a short or long Remington action?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    It's a short action that's been blueprinted and fitted with a Shilen 1 in 10 twist match grade barrel. If your interested in getting the floor plate engraved on yours, shoot me an IM and I can get you some info on it.