Just when I though I was completely done with watefowl...

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,077 Senior Member
I coughed up the cash for a non-resident Arizona annual license + AZ waterfowl stamp to last me into next season and the experience was anything but a disappointment. With a buddy and his friend at my side, I had 5 of my 7 duck limit filled in the first 15 minutes of legal daylight. I slowed down my pace to let the other guys catch up and by 9AM, I was limited out. Despite not having hunted since Thanksgiving day, I was absolutely on fire with my shooting. I only can remember one bird that I needed more than one shot to drop a bird in the morning push. I had to waterswat a couple of cripples that went down, but clean misses were almost non-existent.

More importantly, I heard not a single shot fired before legal shooting time. We were actually the first to fire any shots in the area with birds sitting right in the spread. There was ample space between hunting parties - hundreds of yards - and nobody within our periphery took impossible pot shots at sky-high birds. Everyone either let the birds work their decoys or took sensible passing shots at birds well within gun range. THAT is what it's all about!

Here's what George and I pulled in (the other gentleman, Joseph, had already left with his birds). I was fortunate enough to be the hot shooter today and got the lion's share of the birds. It's not always like that, but today, I got 2 redheads, 2 shovelers (3 actually, but we lost 1), a mallard drake, and my very first bull pintail sporting a decent sprig on his tail. That's a full limit downed and all but one recovered. I feel like a new man.

The total for two of us - (from left to right) - redhead hen, eclipse phase shoveler drake, redhead drake, common merganser hen, eclipse phase shoveler drake, mallard drake, green winged teal drake, redhead drake, pintail drake, redhead drake:
ArizonaDucks-19Jan2013.jpg

Me and George with the haul
LuisandGeorge-19Jan2013.jpg

My bull (drake) pintail
ArizonaPintail-19Jan2013.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,232 Senior Member
    Well done Luis :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,524 Senior Member
    Nice haul except :vomit: for the type of merganser.

Just so you know I tried to eat one of those once.

Tried and once being the operative words.
    This message has been deleted
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Nice haul except :vomit: for the type of merganser.

Just so you know I tried to eat one of those once.

Tried and once being the operative words.

Oh, I know. I have been warned, but George's neighbors will apparently eat ANY waterfowl type, to include mergansers and coots! He was willing to at least give it away to someone who could use it.
    I did feed the meat to a dog and the dog liked it.
    I have tried coots, not any more.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    Excellent Luis. Glad you didnt give up and 'stayed the course'.

Those birds look pretty, especially the pintail drake. Is he destined for the wall or do you already have one up?.

I just got back from a cull. Like you, my shooting was on the mark. At one stage I had the video running when 4 birds came in, a female Paradise duck followed by 3 males. 4 shots, 4 birds down with all drt in the air before the first one hit the ground.. Was going to post up the video but my hunting mate let rip with some shocking language directed at me cos I shot them all. I was pissing myself with laughter when he described how he saw the first bird fall so swung on the second which fell before he could hit the trigger......he then swung on the 3rd bird which dropped before he could fire.....he then tried to beat me to the shot on the 4th bird only to see it fall as he swung through it. He didnt sulk for long though as I replayed the video shortly afterwards and each of my shots was punctuated by a swear word (his).
    We ended up rolling on the ground in laughter and flared the next mob that came in.............

Look forward to seeing some more duck hunting reports.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,232 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

Was going to post up the video but my hunting mate let rip with some shocking language directed at me cos I shot them all.
    Ummmm Alec, you can upload it and then send me a link to it...
    PLEASE :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,869 Senior Member
    Congrats!
    Awesome day hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent Luis. Glad you didnt give up and 'stayed the course'.

Those birds look pretty, especially the pintail drake. Is he destined for the wall or do you already have one up?.

I just got back from a cull. Like you, my shooting was on the mark. At one stage I had the video running when 4 birds came in, a female Paradise duck followed by 3 males. 4 shots, 4 birds down with all drt in the air before the first one hit the ground.. Was going to post up the video but my hunting mate let rip with some shocking language directed at me cos I shot them all. I was pissing myself with laughter when he described how he saw the first bird fall so swung on the second which fell before he could hit the trigger......he then swung on the 3rd bird which dropped before he could fire.....he then tried to beat me to the shot on the 4th bird only to see it fall as he swung through it. He didnt sulk for long though as I replayed the video shortly afterwards and each of my shots was punctuated by a swear word (his).
    We ended up rolling on the ground in laughter and flared the next mob that came in.............

Look forward to seeing some more duck hunting reports.

Talking with George (who is a hobbyist taxidermist himself), I think I will get this pintail drake mounted because not only was this the first bull pintail I've ever shot, but it's a pretty nice one. They can get even longer sprigs on them, but what the heck...I'll put it up. I am going to use the same place that did my canvasback drake from last year. The guy who did that bird did an AMAZING job and people who've seen his work can't believe how well it comes out.

If you still have that video, I'll make the same request as Paul: PM that sucker because it sounds too funny.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,733 Senior Member
    Luis, I see Karma in action.

Congrats on your haul.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    Nice pile o ducks Luis...Great mix of species with the potential for some great eating..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Luis, I see Karma in action.

Congrats on your haul.

D

It's amazing how good the hunting can be when you get the heck out of the Las Vegas area (i.e. the land of "it's all about me") and go out with hunters who don't have to pull the trigger so badly that they will screw over others to do so.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nice pile o ducks Luis...Great mix of species with the potential for some great eating..

I found a KILLER looking recipe in this month's Duck Unlimited recipe for a duck Chile Colorado. I have to do some homework to find the particular chiles needed for the recipe, but I'm keeping the birds frozen and when I do find that chile, it's on!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Good show! Too bad the world is full of selfish slobs, no matter what type of game they're hunting! The fact that you were among some real sportsmen for this hunt is a good thing- - - -there are still a few of them out there!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Absolutely true, Teach. If this bunch was representative of most Arizona hunters, I'm going to be on their side of the border lot more this coming season. Let the record show that we had ducks passing through our spread with regularity before legal light and I'm sure others were in the same position, but none of us had the gall to break the law in the name of self-fulfillment. I'm not naive enough to think there aren't slobs in Arizona, too, but for the moment, it was great to be without a plethora of them like we have in southern NV.
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    I was going to recomend cibola national wildlife refuge, but thought you wouldn't go as its in AZ, but now that you have come over, it's good spot. There are a few good spots over her on the Gila River, but it's been a while since I shot a limit. It sounds like you had a good experience, I'm glad AZ hunters aquitted themselves well.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
    Seth -

I was VERY impressed with the quality of the guys over there. I'll get on a map here shortly and see what's cooking for next season at Cibola. Thanks for the tip!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    Well Done! Nothing better than shooting ducks over decoys!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Well done Six. You are a REAL duck hunter. I wish you could meet my nephew Jeff. He's a major in the US Army and a Duck Hunting Maniac. He comes home from Bragg in the fall and hunts down at the mouth of the Mississippi. He's been hunting ducks all his life in Louisiana. He has a duck boat and perots and lots of decoys. He shoots a 10 gauge Browning Pump now. He's also got a Remington 12 gauge 3.5 inch mag. Also he has black labs. I think you and he would hit it off!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    Well Done! Nothing better than shooting ducks over decoys!

Amen bellcat you are so right. No other hunting experience is quite like it.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!