Home Main Category Hunting

22 CF's now legal in Wyoming

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberDenver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
Ernie, Gene, Ranch....you guys going to switch over for goat hunting? Saw for 2013 CF 22's with at least 60gr bullets are now legal for deer, antelope, mountain lion and wolf.

Big thread on this over at the Fire, most in favor of it. Montana has the same regs IIRC. I always thought a 22-250 or 220 Swift would make a pretty good goat zapper, twisted fast for some of the heavier hunting bullets. Might have to get on up there this year and try one out! Its actually a shorter drive to the border for me, then it is to where I have been goat hunting the last few years. Only 10$ more per tag too lol

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Have you ever looked into public hunting opportunities (for goats) in Wy?

Sako
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    I have, and know its slim pickings and crowds. At the same time, I'd just want some doe tags. Been looking around for places in the southern part that might let someone on their land just to get rid of a few does.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    The 60gr. requirement is silly. The Barnes fan boys must be throwing a fit.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Cool.
    I now have at least two more hunting rigs for deer and antelope.
    Head shots here we come:yesno::jester:
    DSC01441_zpsad9a436a.jpg
    IMG_4916.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    More excited about being able to use the 38-40.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    You couldn't use a 38-40 before? Why was that?
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    Cartridges under the 24 cal and 2 in oal had to be 35 cal+ have 500 fpe at 100 yds when fired from a handgun. That put the 357 and 41 mags both into borderline legal, and with the wcf cartridges there is no factory loads nor handload data that would make that level. Altho it's not impossible to crowd them there, it would almost make it necessary to have certified chrono data on hand during the hunt.
    Now they cut it off at 35 cal and oal that lets the 357,wcf's and 45 colt in with ease, along with some of the original spencer cartridges etc.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Ernie, Gene, Ranch....you guys going to switch over for goat hunting? Saw for 2013 CF 22's with at least 60gr bullets are now legal for deer, antelope, mountain lion and wolf.

Big thread on this over at the Fire, most in favor of it. Montana has the same regs IIRC. I always thought a 22-250 or 220 Swift would make a pretty good goat zapper, twisted fast for some of the heavier hunting bullets. Might have to get on up there this year and try one out! Its actually a shorter drive to the border for me, then it is to where I have been goat hunting the last few years. Only 10$ more per tag too lol

Of course they have been legal here in most parts of Texas for many years. In fact I don't know if they've ever really been illegal. However, for deer size game I prefer a 60+ grain bullet. My 22-250 is limited because it has a 1-14 inch twist. It stabilizes the Speer 70 grain semi spitzer, but not the 65-75 grain Spitzers. If and when i shoot this barrel out, it will get a 1-9 twist barrel.

My .223 has a 1-9 twist barrel. I know it will dispatch deer size game in a heart beat with 65 grain Spitzers.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!