Home Main Category Hunting

Goin' Squirrel Hunting....finally!

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Off on a squirrel hunt in an hour or so. Be back Saturday night. Going up to a 1,500 acre plantation where I've put togather a very successful forest and wildlife management operation that's been going for about 15 years now....long enough to see excellent results in the restoration of our Native Longleaf Pine Forests, quail, turkey and deer populations, especially the quail numbers....thanks to the help from Tall Timbers Research Station!

Couple of buddies and I will hunt the hardwood bottoms along a local big creek called Itchawaynotchaway....we renamed it Itchy Crotchy to shorten the name :tooth:! ----This is 10-12 miles from where Grizz will be turkey hunting when he comes down in a month or so.---- The squirrels, all grey no Fox, have probably never been hunted and have little fear of a man walking through the woods, so maybe-just maybe-I'll be able to reach my goal of 12 squirrels a day, all head shots, with my little .32cal Southern Mountain Flintlock Rifle made for me by my friend Hershel House, one of the very best flintlock builders who ever lived! Pull him up on the web and look at what he builds....awesome!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Hope it works out, have a good time.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    WOW sounds like a great trip....Take some pictures please
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    We hunted Thursday afternoon and most of the day Friday, but it was far too windy to waste time in the woods. Five squirrels for all of our troubles those two days. Then this morning, Saturday, it was perfect and we killed 27 more! Not all head shots, but some were. My eyesight is still 20-20+, but my reflexes are slowing down with my "advanced' age, and with squirrels you rarely have more than 2-3 seconds to line up on the head and squeeze off a round. I use a double-set trigger on my .32cal flintlock squirrel rifle, but even with the hairtrigger it's hard now for me to touch the front trigger and let'er rip on time. Oh well, I'm still able to get out in the woods anyhow, and a lot of men my age can't get out of the darn house!

Bet I saw close to 60 turkeys in several different groups! The landowner has followed my management recommendations to a "T", and it's paying off big time with turkeys, quail and BIG RACK DEER! And the Creek (it's a small river, actually) was totally full of wood ducks. Had fun....sorry, no pics, Weatherby. I'm just a dumb Georgia Mountain Boy that doesn't know how to take photos and post 'em :tooth:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    No problem my friend I thank you just the same.

I haven't squirrel hunted in some time but on my list is going out and limiting on only black squirrels.

We have enough with that color phase up here to be do-able.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,555 Senior Member
    I haven't squirrel hunted in 30+ years. Saw your post and memories started coming back. Kids are grown, I think I need to get back to the simpler yet very enjoyable hunts of my youth!

Have a great time!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I haven't seriously squirrel hunted since the 80s. I loved it. I'd go to my inlaws up around Boonville Mo. My FIL had some big ol white oak and hickory trees on his farm and we would limit out on both grays and fox squirrels some days. He wasn't much on deer hunting because he didn't have that kind of pateince, but squirrels and quail, game that kept you moving, he was a master at. Then my MIL was a master chef at squirrel or quail and biscuits and gravy. Now that was really something to behold and I had my share of fine days doing all that.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    You had good hunting, that's for sure.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I went todag. They must ha e went south for the winter.

I thought that squirrel in my yard today had a funny accent! He were one a dem Yankee Squirrels.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!