Home Main Category Clubhouse

Met up with THE Vic!

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
I spent the better part of the day just trying to keep up with him! If I am able to get around half as good as him when I hit his age, I will be a happy man! We met up a little before noon. His hotel was right around the corner from the Sofa Super Store site so we started by stopping there. I enjoyed sharing some of the stories there with him. Then we headed over to see the civil war submarine the Hunley. I haven't been by in a few years to see it, and I got to tell you, they are doing an excellent job on the restoration of it. No pics allowed of the sub, it is in a giant tank of water getting all the minerals pulled out of it that spending the last hundred years or so submerged would do.
Then we were off to Patriots Point to view the Yorktown, Laffey, and Clagmore. Vic impressed the heck out of me with his knowledge of WWII well, everything from WWII. Snapped a few pics here, Ned one of these is specially for you!
uploadfromtaptalk1359255548882.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359255574558.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1359255598322.jpg

And the expected pics of the two of us
uploadfromtaptalk1359255634348.jpg

And Kimber had to get in one. We went to Reds Icehouse for dinner.
uploadfromtaptalk1359255680952.jpg
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    Vic is good folk.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Vic, you sure as hell look familiar to me! With 300 million people in the USA there's no way and I know it, but you do look familiar. You never were around NIC in Suitland, were you? Thirty years ago? Or with an allied Command associated with NIC? :uhm:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I spent the better part of the day just trying to keep up with him! If I am able to get around half as good as him when I hit his age, I will be a happy man! We met up a little before noon. His hotel was right around the corner from the Sofa Super Store site so we started by stopping there. I enjoyed sharing some of the stories there with him. Then we headed over to see the civil war submarine the Hunley. I haven't been by in a few years to see it, and I got to tell you, they are doing an excellent job on the restoration of it. No pics allowed of the sub, it is in a giant tank of water getting all the minerals pulled out of it that spending the last hundred years or so submerged would do.
    Then we were off to Patriots Point to view the Yorktown, Laffey, and Clagmore. Vic impressed the heck out of me with his knowledge of WWII well, everything from WWII. Snapped a few pics here, Ned one of these is specially for you!
    uploadfromtaptalk1359255548882.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359255574558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359255598322.jpg

And the expected pics of the two of us
    uploadfromtaptalk1359255634348.jpg

And Kimber had to get in one. We went to Reds Icehouse for dinner.
    uploadfromtaptalk1359255680952.jpg

One of my favorite things about the one SE shoot I have attended was meeting Vic. He's a great guy. Those are great pics there. I love the WWII Ships I've had the pleasure of going on. If you and/or Vic, or hell any of you ever make it down to Houston and have some time to kill, don't miss a trip to U.S.S. Texas, the only surviving Dreadnott class battleship left in the world. Right now they are trying to save her from sinking. She has been berthed at San Jacinto Battle Grounds since 1948, the year I was born and the chorlides in the water have taken a toll on her hull. It's paper thin in places and it's too far to a dry dock big enough to handle her. So now they're working on setting her on a frame in a fresh water environment, something akin to a permanent dry dock.

I've also been on U.S.S. Alabama in Mobile and U.S.S. Lexington now berthed at Corpus Christi. I have seen U.S.S. Missouri in Pearl Harbor, but at the time it wasn't open to the public yet as it had just arrived from being mothballed at Bremonton Washington the Friday before the Monday I went there in July of 1998. If you come down this way let me know on here and I'll meet you at San Jacinto.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    NIC in Suitland? Nope. But we WILL get together in the near future and swap war stories, if that's OK with you.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Vic is doofinitely good people!! I can't wait to road-trip with him to Jerry's.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    Many thanks for all the kind thoughts and words, good people! And right back at'cha, without exception and without reservation!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    Yep. Vic is incredibly knowledgable. My last trip to Gettysburg with him was fascinating.

And SGK, had I realized you were near Charleston I would have pinged you when I was there in December for 4 days.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.