What's that smell?

TSchubTSchub Senior MemberPosts: 780 Senior Member
That, my friends, is a three pound meat loaf with two pounds of beef and one pound of pork ground together. Make a box of Stove top stuffing and add it to the meat. Mix well. Bake at 350 for one hour covered and the a half hour uncovered. Make sure the middle is fully cooked and enjoy. I'll be eating good for lunch if there are any leftovers.

Replies

• farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I love me a fried meatloaf sandwich. Melt the cheese, add dill pickles and mustard. :drool2:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    I love day-old cold meatloaf sandwiches, with mustard - better than the original dish, in my opinion.

I smoked two 'cheap' beef roasts and finished them in foil with a whole sack of baby redskin potatoes, carrots, onions, whole garlic, and mushrooms for my Sunday dinner crowd. They wiped it all out and left me with nothing but bologna sandwiches for my sack lunches, next week. :bang:
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    I've got homemade baked beans and weenies if they do eat it all, so either way I'm good.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I love day-old cold meatloaf sandwiches, with mustard - better than the original dish, in my opinion.

I smoked two 'cheap' beef roasts and finished them in foil with a whole sack of baby redskin potatoes, carrots, onions, whole garlic, and mushrooms for my Sunday dinner crowd. They wiped it all out and left me with nothing but bologna sandwiches for my sack lunches, next week. :bang:

I tend to cook more food than is needed for a get together. A 14lb brisket for six people? That sounds about right to me. A dozen leg/thigh quarters for four people? Yup. Leftovers are a favorite of mine.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    If by "pork" you meant "bacon" you are golden. If not, you disappoint me :jester:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Ground beef on mine, some ground soda crackers, fresh oregano, salt, pepper, some soy sauce, a dab of good mustard and I add a lot of leek, onions, peppers, garlic, a whole LOT as well, some ketchup too. Meatball sandwiches are great.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    TSchub wrote: »
    That, my friends, is a three pound meat loaf with two pounds of beef and one pound of pork ground together. Make a box of Stove top stuffing and add it to the meat. Mix well. Bake at 350 for one hour covered and the a half hour uncovered. Make sure the middle is fully cooked and enjoy. I'll be eating good for lunch if there are any leftovers.

For a twist, try filling 1/2 the pan then put some asparagus and . . . . wait for it . . . 2 or 3 Italian sausages.

Then cover with the rest of the meat.

A few of those mozzarella sticks if you like the cheese.

Dang, now I'm hungry.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I can get by in the kitchen. The best thing I make for dinner is reservations. :beer: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    No bacon, but it's a good idea.
    Bacon is always a good idea.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    If by "pork" you meant "bacon" you are golden. If not, you disappoint me :jester:

Sausage!

My wife uses one of those 'As seen on TV' meatloaf pans. Works pretty good. 2# burger, 1# sausage, onion, green pepper, and oatmeal...

13723149.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • seabee78seabee78 New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    I gotta remember all this. I'm making it all in one next weekend:eek::thumbup::beer:

seabee78
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Here's ours....a pound each of ground venison, ground chuck and ground pork, green pepper, celery and red onion - chopped fine, salt and pepper. No fillers...(not needed, there's three pounds of meat in this thing)....topping is ketchup, brown sugar and dry mustard slathered on in the last 30 minutes of baking....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    Meat loaf is also great with your favorite sweet-hot barbecue sauce, instead of ketchup.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Here's ours....a pound each of ground venison, ground chuck and ground pork, green pepper, celery and red onion - chopped fine, salt and pepper. No fillers...(not needed, there's three pounds of meat in this thing)....topping is ketchup, brown sugar and dry mustard slathered on in the last 30 minutes of baking....

That's called a hamburger! :tooth:

A 12/4 pounder!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    For me the filler makes the texture right. Otherwise it just feels like burger meat, not meat loaf. Plus, the bread helps soak up some of the bacon grease, can't let that drip out and not get enjoyed! :tooth:
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    For me the filler makes the texture right. Otherwise it just feels like burger meat, not meat loaf. Plus, the bread helps soak up some of the bacon grease, can't let that drip out and not get enjoyed! :tooth:

I stopped using a filler when I started mixing in pork....firms up the loaf in addition to adding a lot of flavor.
    I forgot to mention garlic in the recipe...
    Now my in-laws make the most hideous meat loaf ever..consists of the cheapest, greasiest hamburger they can find, mixed with oatmeal and baked until it's a nice even black....then topped with ketchup......foul, nasty crap
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    that sounds really tasty.

i may have to try it.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    I have not yet tried one but..

Take a pack of bacon maybe two. Lay out several strips side by side then take more strips and go the other way weaving em in over under over under alternatin fashion.

Take about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground meat, some do beef only some do sausage or pork only some mix it up.

Pattie out your meat to the same size as your bacon weave then place whatever you want for the filling. I have seen seafood or breakfast items or pizza toppings, just cheese and onions for a Cheeseburger Fattie. Leave a little space around the edges of your filling and roll up the meat and seal it up.

Place this meat roll diagonally across your bacon weave and then roll it up and pin it in place with some toothpicks or just tuck it under in the pan you intend to cook on.

Best way is to smoke it but I have seen em done in the oven just as you would a normal meat loaf. I'd do it on one of those two piece roasting pans with holes to drain off the grease were I to do one in an oven.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    I like green peppers in mine, onion, and oatmeal for a filler. Oatmeal makes it a lot less dense. I seldom cook meatloaf because I don't care for leftovers. But I do love it out of the oven!
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06