Home Main Category Hunting

Ammo Storage

ElectrickmanElectrickman New MemberPosts: 11 New Member
I was told that ammo could be kept for long period of time, in vacuum sealed food bag without a need for sillica???

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That will work just fine for long term storage. So will the plastic or metal ammunition boxes with the rubber seal around the lid. The G.I. ammo cans are really good for long term storage, and a lot easier to handle. For REALLY long term storage, 3 or 4 inch PVC DWV pipe and cemented in place end caps will keep ammunition moisture free for just about forever in a cool dry place. You can replace one of the cemented in place caps with a threaded fitting and a screw in cap that has been greased to ease removal and inhibit air and moisture intrusion.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • ElectrickmanElectrickman New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank You, Sir Glad to be here!
    Thank you, I have a friend who told me about the vacuum storage, seemed like a good plan.
    Thanks! glad to be here!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Thank you, I have a friend who told me about the vacuum storage, seemed like a good plan.

I would only vacuum seal if there were a chance of flooding or other wise getting very wet. In a controlled climate of a house, you shouldn't need anything special. In a garage or similar, any box with a rubber seal will do...

MTM-AC11AmmoCan.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Thanks for the help!
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Ammo is more durable than you may think, As long as you keep it out of direct moisture nothing special is needed.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard

Hey Colt, that's Ned's line, :tooth:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Ammo is more durable than you may think, As long as you keep it out of direct moisture nothing special is needed.

This is true. When I was a kid my dad had a drawer full of paper 12 gauge shells that he had from the late 30s and everytime you pulled the trigger on one it would go boom and this was in the late 50s-early 60s.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!