"Papa bear" is feeling a bit protective...

2»

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Latest development, the lad's phone has now been blocked from contacting my daughter's phone. He has been calling her, then my wife, repeatedly from college, begging my wife to let him speak to my daughter. The only thing is, he's only going to give the same song and dance, and continue to show his manipulative side, and we all know it.

He's been informed that he's being blocked (Sprint is working out the technical issues to fully block iMessage texts, but normal texts and direct calls are now kaput), and that he needs to desist his constant attempts to contact.

Between my wife and myself, and several friends and squadmates on her cheer squad (and the guys' basketball team), my daughter is finding she has a larger circle of good friends than I think she expected. They all have committed to making sure that if he comes to games (really can't block him from doing so as he also graduated from the same school) they will do everything they can to keep him from contacting her. That alone brought a tear to my eye.

And we had a chance tonight, just hanging out in the living room, to share a number of laughs as a family, over just silly, nonsense stuff we were seeing on-line or relating stuff that happened at work/school. Even "the princess" as we call her sometimes got some good chuckles. Did us all good.
    And, in all this, I can't help but notice that he has not tried me as an avenue to get to her. I like to think he knows better than that.

My wife is the tactful one. I'm afraid any conversation I have with him at this stage is going to be far less productive.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,255 Senior Member
    Deja vu all over again- - - - - -be vigilant!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Tell your daughter, there might very well come a time in the near future where she's gonna have to connect her right foot with his genitalia. And she needs to be physically and emotionally prepared to due so.

But it's her battle to fight. Your job as Dad (and it sounds like you have this well under control) is to be prepared for it.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    My 2 cents on a situation I have very little insight on, seems like one with serious enough to consider negative 'what if" outcomes, I gather he is in the same age range as your daughter and lack of experience in this matters makes for dumb decisions, you are doing well in being overprotective, keep your eyes wide open and instruct your daughter on how to avoid putting herself in situations not only where physical violence could occur also to stay away from verbal ones.

This very well will go away o it's own with time but better "safe than sorry".
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    You are a better man than me....I would not have wasted time blocking the phone number, I would have broke his fingers to keep him from dialing the number.

Some dogs know not to leave the yard because you told them, some because you put up a fence, and then there are some that require direct contact that shows them it is healthier for them to stay in the yard...

Two things I have ZERO tolerance for when it comes to my Kids.....Racism and undue Harrassment. period.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    Full communications block is now in effect. He should have the picture by now. My daughter's eyes are wide open, she is seeing just what this guy is really like.

I feel he was truly trying his hardest to change and be the best he could, and was making great progress. I have suspicions of what happened this past year, but something definitely gave him enough stress that he essentially derailed and reverted to his past self.

Live and learn; my girl is, I'm sure, wiser and more insightful now, and my faith tells me there's a guy somewhere, perfect for her, who is just waiting to meet her. My prayer is that when they meet, she will realize even further that the best guys only want what's best for their girl, not what's best for themselves.
2»