More movie mistakes !

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
One big movie gaff never mentioned on the forum are handcuff mistakes, even in the better motion pictures, Silence of the lambs, Dr. Lechter is handcuffed with leg irons, and the Officer does not double lock them, and he gets out of the leg irons with a bent pen ink tube, not possible since ( for example - hinge cuffs are almost impossible to get out of ) regulation cuffs are tight enough that even a paper clip is too thick and when you double lock them only Houdini would be able to escape, and not in the limited amount of time to serve a meal.

Not to mention the Officers were too distracted anyway.

U.S. Marshals with Tommy Lee Jones shows a FLEO get out of regulation handcuffs with a broken stem from sunglasses, impossible again because the lock is too darn tight to allow thick objects to be used to pick them, anything thin enough not spring steel bends too easily to effectively be used to open cuffs.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    When I was OCAT certified, we were also instructed to make sure the keyhole side was oriented inward so the subject couldn't access the hole.
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    It's Hollywood. The actors talk down firearms but make millions shooting people in movies. The handcuffs are props not real by any means. The public thinks if you shoot someone they fly across the room and explode every time. Logic and reality in movies are fiction. :down: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Doctor...getting out of those cuffs isn't impossible...after all, wasn't it Wesley Snipes that did that sungass stem/handcuff escape? I guess you learn a lot of things in PRISON.
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    The public thinks if you shoot someone they fly across the room and explode every time. Logic and reality in movies are fiction. :down: ,

TV does not do it one bit better. Today I was watching an episode of "CSY NY". The detectives are analizing their findings on a gunshot murder, when a technician enter the room, places a pocket pistol on the table, and solemnly declares "it's a 25 MILLIMETER gun" ....

I never thought that a tiny mouse gun could fire such a powerfull round. I really have to get me one of those!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Put a pair of S&W cuffs on me and give me a paper clip and I can get out of them in a few minutes. Double locked or not. I can do the same thing but probably quicker with a plastic comb. Hinge cuffs do make it much more difficult. I practiced it a lot. Granted, it's been a while. But I've done it. A guy I worked with could be hooked up with a belly chain, S&W cuffs, double locked with a black box and could be out in 30 seconds with nothing but a comb.

One thing that can help quite a bit is which direction the key holes face. Up or down.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Getting out of a pair of S&W regulation handcuffs with an ordinary stem from a pair of sunglasses is not possible, try it some time, it is simply easier to sew a handcuff key into a clothing recess that you can get to.

And yes, I have practiced, too much spare time... I could never get a paper clip to work for Me.
    The double lock is hard to work with a paper clip, it will bend before you can get the slight amount of pressure needed to release the double lock.

Mind you, to activate the double lock, you can use a paper clip, but when you release the lock, it is by rotation of the key, a simple mechanism, but you can't casually hack it if you are a prisoner and properly handcuffed. If you are limber or flexible enough, and not too fat, and hide a key in a shoe or boot, you can get out of a pair of S&W cuffs, just not with imprecise stuff, simply because the lock opening of the cuffs are precisely or precision made.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Never tried to do it with an ordinary stem from a pair of sunglasses. Will try that, just for fun.
    If you grind them on a bench grinder, perhaps, but stock stems are too thick, I have not yet seen a stem thin enough to work.
    Haha! Too much spare time seems to be the key. I figured out some of what I learned by putting my cuffs on myself and working out of them.....just 'cause I was bored at 3am on Monday morning......:tooth:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    Or, you spend a lot of time in handcuffs and have to make sure you're out of them before the wife gets home.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Haha! Too much spare time seems to be the key. I figured out some of what I learned by putting my cuffs on myself and working out of them.....just 'cause I was bored at 3am on Monday morning......:tooth:

something's telling me "we don't wanna know."
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Not all eyeglasses are equal, some have wiry stems, flat ones, etc. still on TV and movies not doing research and pushing the "suspension of disbelief" envelope is a big part as the product is meant for the masses, not for the small portion that is educated on any particular subject.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Doctor...getting out of those cuffs isn't impossible...after all, wasn't it Wesley Snipes that did that sungass stem/handcuff escape? I guess you learn a lot of things in PRISON.

Nope it was Robert Downey Jr.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Not all eyeglasses are equal, some have wiry stems, flat ones, etc. still on TV and movies not doing research and pushing the "suspension of disbelief" envelope is a big part as the product is meant for the masses, not for the small portion that is educated on any particular subject.

Bingo! How many times have you seen them swing open the cylinder on a DA revolver and spin it and hear ....click, click, click, click, click, etc.... ??????
    What the hell is clicking when the cylinder is spun on a DA that has the cylinder swung out?:uhm:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 282 Member
    Talking about movies, does anyone know where I can get a 37,000 round magazine for my HK .45 that always seems to run out at the end of a movie, when I need it most.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Never thought much about handcuff movie errors, myself not knowing anything about cuffs. Interesting info here, though.

Re. movie/tv gun errors, they are so numerous and rampant that we'd probably save time by posting a thread when a gun was correctly used or there wasn't an error.

I'm always a bit amused at the ubiquity of the 9mm, and particularly the Glock. Yeah, tons of LEOs carry Glock 9s these days -- probably the majority of eastern US city cops do. But the coroner or lab guy is ALWAYS saying "shot with a 9mm". I think the only show that has specifically used a different caliber is Justified, where Waylan uses a .45, occasionally you hear another caliber mentioned, but not often.

Laziness on the part of the producer/showrunner/director team, really, and not limited to firearms. There are tons of incomprehensible errors committed in tv/movies all the time, impossible coincidences, computers behaving as no computer can, and so on. The people making the movies or tv shows simply don't care enough or figure the time/cost ratio is too high to spend the time to ensure accuracy. That's showbiz.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • FiveSevenFiveSeven Member Posts: 289 Member
    Both Snipes and Downey used them.
    Only the optimists suggest that the future is uncertain. The pessimists have done the math.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    I want one of those old single action 13 shooters like Kevin Costner used in the big gunfight in the movie Open Range! Man, can that Costner fan that thing!!
    I spent way too much time sitting on SO playing with a pair of S&W cuffs.......
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I want one of those old single action 13 shooters like Kevin Costner used in the big gunfight in the movie Open Range! Man, can that Costner fan that thing!!

An otherwise fairly accurate Western movie, and a very good one, too. Except when Costner is behind the water trough and, as you say, seems to fire 15 rounds per hand.

One of the best roles Costner ever played, and naturally Robert Duvall is the master. My fave modern Westerns are "Unforgiven", "Quigley Down Under", and my fave classics are "The Shootist" and a true Hollywood epic, "The Big Country". But "Open Range" is pretty good.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx