And the great Cat debate continues........................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,731 Senior Member
A long article and most of you will probably not even bother reading it......and I dont blame you.

But, what does stand out for me is the TNR policy that our local SPCA practices. 'Trap, Neuter, Release' of stray cats instead of putting them down. As a wildlife officer, I am only too well aware of the ability of cats to decimate wildlife like small birds, nesting chicks, lizards, insects etc.

I have been trapping wild/stray cats that have set up home in the neighbourhood and using my orchid houses as both a food source ( they kill the birds that feed on snails etc and act as unpaid guardians of my plants) and as a playground ( both pulling out plant watering 'wands' and leaving 'odours' on flowers which then cant be exported) and delivering them to the local pound. It seems my efforts are being rewarded by the organisation taking a 'soft' attitude to the problem. When I trap them and turn them over, I am expected to make a 'voluntary' donation to cover the costs.........instead of making the donation in precious metals, I may consider saving the cost of petrol and substituting a lead 'donation' .

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/15978581/war-of-words-bob-kerridge-vs-gareth-morgan/

Feel free to discuss the 2 different points of view...........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    The 3-S approach is always simple and effective.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 282 Member
    If you let them go you would have a good amount of "target" practice. Euthanizing is a tough one, for cats, kill em all, but for dogs, I wouldn't have it. You couldn't have it both ways though. My dog was saved from a shelter, I don't remember if we got her from a kill or no kill but it would be hard. I do get tired of peta using these corporate images from the 70's to represent modern day. Animals in present day have more rights than we do. In the end, if we are going to have no kill shelters then they should be funded some how.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    A long article and most of you will probably not even bother reading it......and I dont blame you.

But, what does stand out for me is the TNR policy that our local SPCA practices. 'Trap, Neuter, Release' of stray cats instead of putting them down. As a wildlife officer, I am only too well aware of the ability of cats to decimate wildlife like small birds, nesting chicks, lizards, insects etc.

I have been trapping wild/stray cats that have set up home in the neighbourhood and using my orchid houses as both a food source ( they kill the birds that feed on snails etc and act as unpaid guardians of my plants) and as a playground ( both pulling out plant watering 'wands' and leaving 'odours' on flowers which then cant be exported) and delivering them to the local pound. It seems my efforts are being rewarded by the organisation taking a 'soft' attitude to the problem. When I trap them and turn them over, I am expected to make a 'voluntary' donation to cover the costs.........instead of making the donation in precious metals, I may consider saving the cost of petrol and substituting a lead 'donation' .

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/15978581/war-of-words-bob-kerridge-vs-gareth-morgan/

Feel free to discuss the 2 different points of view...........

Sounds like you need to get yourself a big dog to patrol your orchid houses and take care of the cats. The SPCA probably even has a bunch available for adoption.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Trapping and then neutering or spaying doesn't get rid of the problem; you still have cats out there killing the wildlife if they are released or even put up for adoption by the pound. And just because those cats that got 'fixed' aren't increasing the population doesn't mean that all those OTHER cats aren't increasing the population. For every one you trap and spay or neuter, there are a few litters being born that will replace them, and then some. With feral cats, best to follow the plan Jerry laid out.

Just remember, a warm barrel is a happy barrel.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

That sounds like the conversation between the old sheep rancher and the Fish & Wildlife guy who was proposing to trap and neuter coyotes. He said "Son, ya don't understand the problem- - - - -Them yotes ain't f***in' our sheep- - - -they's eatin' 'em!"

:roll::roll::roll:
    Jerry
    A neighbor of mine had a bunch of 'barn cats' at a barn he stored hay in most of the time. He said they were there to keep the mice out of the hay bales. The quail disappeared, and the turkeys were not increasing, and birds on the back side of my farm were disappearing. The cats were getting the young turkey poults and quail. This barn is close to the line fence between us(about 50 yards) and the cats were in my back hayfield a LOT. They were highly susceptible to my mouse squeaker predator call. Like Josey Wales said, "Buzzards got to eat, same as worms". The quail are back and the turkeys are increasing quite nicely now. The 'barn cats' are extinct.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,724 Senior Member
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Three "S" approach would be the best. What is the New Zealand version of Coyotes and Buzzards?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I do not have to do it often; but, if I have to set the cat trap they do not make it to the pound.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Three "S" approach would be the best. What is the New Zealand version of Coyotes and Buzzards?

Politicians and tax inspectors...............

Small world! Same here!
    Jerry
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Alec, as one wildlife kinda fella to another, let me make a suggestion that will cure your housecat-feral housecat problem forever! Get you 2 or 3-3 will be better-JAGDTERRIERS and let 'em run loose around your place! Housecats will immediately become extinct all around you! Immediately! I've never seen a dog that relished killing housecats like a Jagd! These terriers will tear the screen off a door to get inside after a cat! I saw 3 of these 18-20 pound dogs put a 300+ - pound black bear up a tree and keep it there! I don't even think a 10 foot 'gator would be safe around 2 or 3 Jagds :yikes:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member

Do they like eating cat? Would fresh kills be better or should you let them ferment for awhile?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    When ordering food at a Chinese restaurant always order shrimp because its hard to make a cat or dog look like a shrimp. Just a warning. :jester: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    Growing up in Pa we had one rule. No collar fair game. Out here in Los Angeles there are thousands of feral cats and not really anything one can do about it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    There's a guy named "Crosman" who can handle that little problem, or his German buddy , "Feinwerkbau" if you really want to get fancy!

th?id=H.4980827165164269&pid=15.1

Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    I have one of those and years ago it was put to use. Then they changed the rules, shooting a air rifle is now considered discharge of a firearm. I wont risk it anymore.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...here in WY, we call the solution "S/ S/ S"...

...maybe you could get some bumper stickers...

Welcome to New Zealand, now take a cat & go home
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Tacos, burritos and Brunswick Stew.......................

Just don't let them see you clean & skinn 'em.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    Bakerman wrote: »
    Tacos, burritos and Brunswick Stew.......................

Just don't let them see you clean & skinn 'em.

Cat, the other other white meat!
    (Typed while my 18 lb. inside the house neutered tom cat is giving me the "FEED ME" look. :tooth:)

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Mike, I can't imigine you as being a cat person :roll: Cats are made for killin' not for keeping in the house!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I thought you had a suppressed 10/22 Alec? I have friend who uses canned chili for bait in his live traps. He says it brings cats in every time.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Mike, I can't imigine you as being a cat person :roll: Cats are made for killin' not for keeping in the house!

He's pretty good company, and when it comes to mice in the house he is 'hell on wheels' even if he is 14 years old. He don't eat 'em; just kills 'em and plays with 'em, and leaves them on the hearth for me to chunk out the back door.

Like Mark Twain said, "Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
    - Notebook, 1894

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Why don't you just take them, and release them yourself? Like off the stern of your buddies' boat, a few miles out.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Just put them down at will, should be some scraps from one of your hunting or fishing trips to use for bait, since I moved to my present locale, I have been educated on cats vs. pheasants, cats in the field are varmints.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member

I'll line up with Mike on this one. While I don't consider myself a "cat person," won't go out of my way for a cat and I've been known to kill a few feral cats, I can appreciate the company of a good cat. I've found them to be a good friend. I have and love my dogs, but something about a cat just lines up with my way of thinking. I call my dog, it comes running and loves me. I love it. I call a cat, it looks at me like I'm an idiot and does what it wants. I love it. And they are good for mice in the house. I got rid of the two cats my ex left behind. For one reason, one of them was white and black, and it's hair was very noticeable on my uniforms and was impossible to get off. Second, I didn't need two cats in the house. Since I got rid of them, I have mice in the house.

When I was a little one, we had two cats that my dad found in a half snow filled trash can at a truck stop. Both solid black kittens. The male ended up traveling with him in the truck for the rest of it's life. His name was Gearjammer. The female became my buddy from the time I was about 3 or 4 until I was 14 or so. Slept with me every night. Guess that helped form my thoughts on cats.............
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,724 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...here in WY, we call the solution "S/ S/ S"...

Are feral cats protected in WY? Here we are encouraged to shoot feral cats and stray dogs. They are invasive. Simple as that.

FYI: Cat carcasses make fantastic coyote bait.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    farm boy wrote: »
    I thought you had a suppressed 10/22 Alec? I have friend who uses canned chili for bait in his live traps. He says it brings cats in every time.

The 10/22 with suppressor is loud at 2.30 am, because some sound escapes when the action cycles after firing.. ...........................
    But the Norinco JW15 Bolt action with suppressor isnt. I have tested it 18 times in the last 6 mths to make sure..............:wink:

Some of my neighbours ( idiots) have cats that they dont 'own' but are wild ones that they have befriended. When I catch those in the trap, I send them to the pound and if they want them back they have to pay to have them de-sexed, wormed and pay the pound fees. If I catch them again they get a stern look and the 'silent' treatment before I release them.............
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    When ordering food at a Chinese restaurant always order shrimp because its hard to make a cat or dog look like a shrimp. Just a warning. :jester: Later,

sweet-n-sour kitten

if it's got a collar, you trap it and shave it's butt.
    that usually gets the point across.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    Rich, I love a good hunting dog and have owned others that were just 'yard dogs'. I like dogs a lot, but don't have one now, and probably won't get another. If I had another dog, it would be an English setter. Not the tall leggy setters the AKC have bred for shows that can't smell a T-bone steak under their nose, but the short legged ones they were 50 years ago and with a nose that could sniff out a quail in dry cover with a crosswind. The AKC has ruined just about every working dog breed there is now.

I like cats for one reason; they are independent cusses that don't take nothing off nobody. They only pay attention to you when it suits them. Basically, they're rednecks in a fur suit! I admire independence and courage in man and beast, and the cat is a good measure of both.

Edit to add: I have no use whatsoever for feral or roaming cats on my place. They get taken care of A.S.A.P.