Ever race a turkey herd?

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,967 Senior Member
Today I went out to the forest on my bicycle and as soon as I got around the first
bend in the road I saw something out of place about a half mile down
the road. I first thought it was a trailer parked back there.

As I got got closer I saw that it was seperate blobs that turned out to
be a flock of about 25 turkeys that started walking up the road. So, I peddled
faster, they went faster led by a big turkey. I went faster and the lead turkey
did not and I got to 30 yds before they took flight leaving the old bird looking
around as if woundering where I came from.

Last year must have been a good year for productive broods as there are
more of those birds in that area than I have seen before.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Probably the most critical factor in maintaining and increasing turkey numbers is weather patterns during the nesting season. Excessive, cold rain will severly impact numbers over the next 10-12 months. Predators usually aren't significant in reducing numbers of chicks that survive, but cold rains will put 'em in the hurt locker pretty quick!

We saw a lot- I mean a LOT-of turkeys on our squirrel hunt last week-end, and where we were hunting will be about 12-15 miles from where Grizz is coming down to turkey hunt. He should have very good results if his hunting area has been properly managed for turkey, deer and Bobwhites.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Nope, never raced any turkeys. But I was walking in an erosion ditch stalking some deer and stuck my head up to check on the position of the deer. Came face to face with a flock of turkeys; they all took off at the same time, and I fell back against the opposite side of the ditch. Think my heart rate went close to 4 digits per minute! :silly: Don't know what happened to the deer.:uhm:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,554 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Nope, never raced any turkeys. But I was walking in an erosion ditch stalking some deer and stuck my head up to check on the position of the deer. Came face to face with a flock of turkeys; they all took off at the same time, and I fell back against the opposite side of the ditch. Think my heart rate went close to 4 digits per minute! :silly: Don't know what happened to the deer.:uhm:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg46yZhEQhYc7v5UhRqOii_Np_FS7eLe8lVqy7ZrssKimBbDd5Cw
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    A few years ago the spring conditions were just right and the turkey's had a real good hatch. There were three hens up in the gap along the road to Guernsey , and between them they had 48 chicks of varying sizes from lil fuzzballs to about fryer size. If that bunch got out on the road about the only thing you could do was just stop and wait for them to clear. They would just keep running down the road ahead of you as they couldn't/wouldn't fly.. It was fun to watch them.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,728 Senior Member
    I can truthfully say that "No,I have never raced a Turkey Herd".
    Politicians over here dont walk or run, they use chauffeur driven limousines..........................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Actually, yes...sort of.

My BIL and I went on an invited quail hunt, on the west Texas prairie, about 30 years ago. The young dog we were using was no good, and the bobwhites were scarce. We kept hearing turkeys, far off, and were able to estimate their general direction of travel. We took off running in a general direction that was downwind of them, stopping occasionally to get a fresh 'fix' on their direction of travel. We got ahead of them and burrowed into a clump of briars and mesquite that was looking down a game trail in the direction we expected them to come from. Sure enough, about ten of them showed up, in a straight line, right in front of us. We let them get to about 25 yards and opened up. I had slipped two #1 buckshots into my O/U, that I had bought for deer hunting the year before and left in my coat pocket, and managed to kill three, two of them outright on the first shot, and one in the air. My BIL, who only had bird shot, downed one and finished him off on the ground.

We calculated that we had run about a half mile in the low brush, wearing heavy clothing and loaded down with shells and our guns...ah, to be youung again.