Down with an injured wing

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Took a nasty spill in my garage just after lunch today, spent most of this afternoon at the doctor’s office and in x-ray. No broken bone but it looks like I tore the tricep away from the elbow on my right arm. Feeling much better now with the help of some very nice pharmaceuticals the doctor gave me. Go tomorrow for an MRI and Friday to an orthopedic surgeon who will decide if it’s bad enough to need surgery.

A few things really suck out of this.
1. Was going hunting Friday for last weekend of deer season, now that’s out.
2. Start of a new year so got to pay the deductible on my insurance (ouch)!
3. No rifle shooting for a good while, guess it could be worse.

This is not how I wanted to start my year off! Good thing is I am on straight salary pay so no loss of income other than deductibles and co-pay. If I miss-spell more than usual or act goofier than usual it is the pain meds so I apologize ahead of time; of course it will probably be hard to tell if its more than usual.
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    That doesn't sound like any fun! Bummer! :down: Hope you don't have to get cut on, and heal up quick! Enjoy the meds! :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Ouch! I did a face-plant in my shop a while back, and it was no fun at all. Stitches and lots of bruises, but at least they didn't have to rebuild my eye socket. Hope you recover fully and quickly!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Good luck Tim. If there's anything you need I can supply, you know my numbers
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Hope ya heal quickly
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    Well that sucks!!! Hopefully you won't need surgery and it heals relatively quickly.

Myself, I am into the 4th week of healing after breaking both bones in my left wrist. So I can feel your pain, or lack there of due to meds..:drool:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Good luck Tim. If there's anything you need I can supply, you know my numbers

Will do, thanks Paul. Got mrs. C. nursing me so I think I'll be fine.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I hate it when that happens; heal fast.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Thanks guys!
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Take care tim. Good thing it wasn't your hip. Most old folks I know broke a hip they're done.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    Rotten break, my man! On the other hand, that just means one more deer available for this coming November!

I'm sitting in a KFC in Shreveport, LA, preparatory to heading out to Lone Oak, TX, just outside of Dallas. Hoping to meet up with drwalker47, whom I've not met. Having mo' fun than most white boys be "allowed" to have. Much more of this, and I'll be set free! Then there'll be REAL trouble, once Victor gets a real taste of it! I shudder to think......!!

I learned the hard way that the WiFi provider in Wendy's won't permit access to the Gunsandammo forum. It's specifically blocked, by name. Maybe time to organize a boycott? Brassed me off! Bastards.

Later.

Get well soonest.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Hope you don't need surgery, we keep getting rain in January, lots of skating rinks in parking lots, I don't even ask people if they have slipped or fallen, they all have, ICE it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hope you don't need surgery, we keep getting rain in January, lots of skating rinks in parking lots, I don't even ask people if they have slipped or fallen, they all have, ICE it.

Listen to de cat, whilst he ennunciates...........
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Good luck Tim.......:angel2: out to you for a speedy recovery......gotta stay on top of those hogs ya know!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,728 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that Tim. Was looking forward to more hunt reports from you.

Hopefully it wont need surgery and will heal by itself quickly.

I guess you will just have to take it easy and eat some of the 'bacon' out of the freezer. Take care and good luck for friday.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Ow, that hurts just thinking about it...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    Ouch. Get better, and let me know if you need me to do anything for ya.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks guys!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    Hope that you mend quickly and do not require surgery.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Hope that you mend quickly and do not require surgery.

Same here
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I cringed when I read the word "tore" on your post, hope you get sell soon and that the pain was minimal.

When I worked in NY a well know photographer stuck his hand on a very powerful fan, it busted his hand and part of this arm pretty good and a cast was required, he insisted that a "tripod head" to be part of the cast so he could still hold a camera and work.

Rifle rest?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Good news and bad,

Went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday, bad news is I tore 25% of the tricep in my right arm away from the bone in my elbow. Good news is he thinks it will repair itself without surgery. I will have to wear the sling for 4 more weeks and do some therapy but I can weine myself off the pain meds and go back to work next friday. The warning he gve me was to baby it for a while because if I injure it again it will be surgery.

Thanks for all the well wishes!
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 405 Member
    Ouch! Hope you mend quickly!
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    My sympathy and best wishes. About 2003 I took a hard fall and due to the weird angle, landed all my weight square on my left shoulder joint. I'm a natural lefty and the joint was essentially shattered. Needed pins and implants and whatever to get it partly functional again.

Surgical rebuild was only partially successful and it was more than a year before I had reasonable strength and coordination in my left arm.

So I taught myself to shoot right handed. I had been so dominant left that the change was equal in difficulty to most right-handers turning left. At first my shots went everywhere but I kept practicing and eventually it began to feel more natural to me. I'm left eye dominant and that didn't change (I shoot mostly handguns and keep both eyes open anyway).

After my left shoulder healed enough for me to take the impact and retain coordination, I now found that I can shoot handguns ambi with ease (1 or 2 handed as I vary the grips). Most of my stance is a modified Weaver and I can switch right to left to right and never give it a second thought.

This makes going to the range a lot more fun and I'm also more prepared for various defense scenarios since I can shoot either-handed with equal accuracy.

Anyway, if you're "laid up" and can't shoot for a while for healing (surgery or not), get in some off-hand practice with your handguns. Can't hurt.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    Rotten break, my man! On the other hand, that just means one more deer available for this coming November!

I'm sitting in a KFC in Shreveport, LA, preparatory to heading out to Lone Oak, TX, just outside of Dallas. Hoping to meet up with drwalker47, whom I've not met. Having mo' fun than most white boys be "allowed" to have. Much more of this, and I'll be set free! Then there'll be REAL trouble, once Victor gets a real taste of it! I shudder to think......!!

I learned the hard way that the WiFi provider in Wendy's won't permit access to the Gunsandammo forum. It's specifically blocked, by name. Maybe time to organize a boycott? Brassed me off! Bastards.

Later.

Get well soonest.

Just got the message, would love to meet and grab a burger.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
    samzhere wrote: »
    My sympathy and best wishes. About 2003 I took a hard fall and due to the weird angle, landed all my weight square on my left shoulder joint. I'm a natural lefty and the joint was essentially shattered. Needed pins and implants and whatever to get it partly functional again.

Surgical rebuild was only partially successful and it was more than a year before I had reasonable strength and coordination in my left arm.

So I taught myself to shoot right handed. I had been so dominant left that the change was equal in difficulty to most right-handers turning left. At first my shots went everywhere but I kept practicing and eventually it began to feel more natural to me. I'm left eye dominant and that didn't change (I shoot mostly handguns and keep both eyes open anyway).

After my left shoulder healed enough for me to take the impact and retain coordination, I now found that I can shoot handguns ambi with ease (1 or 2 handed as I vary the grips). Most of my stance is a modified Weaver and I can switch right to left to right and never give it a second thought.

This makes going to the range a lot more fun and I'm also more prepared for various defense scenarios since I can shoot either-handed with equal accuracy.

Anyway, if you're "laid up" and can't shoot for a while for healing (surgery or not), get in some off-hand practice with your handguns. Can't hurt.

Would love to get in some handgun practice while my rifle arm is down but it will have to wait until I wein off the pain killers, not a good plan to play with guns while under the influence. Shouldn't be long until I can go back to rifles, AR's should be ok with .223 in another week or two, a little longer for the big boomers.
    cpj wrote: »
    Come on Tim, fess up. Mrs Tim found out about another gun purchase, and put the hurtin on you, didn't she? Next time, do a better job of hiding them.

Hope you get healed up quick.

Hey, I have a great wife! She drove me to get the S&W Bounty Hunter I just picked up. Since I was taking pain meds she didn't want me driving, now that's a good wife!
    :cool2: