It's now become one of those moments to make a choice

5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior MemberPosts: 3,923 Senior Member
It's that moment, where you look at the wall and think, what did I get myself into!? You take a deep breath and sigh....what is my resolve!? How far is my commitment to fix this organization!? What is the benefit for me.....to the mission....am I committed enough to believe in it and see it through?!

I see both sides....yet when I join something, I want to see it through and do the best I can with the tools I've learned.....it's not a losing proposition.....I will not quit.....it just needs proper leadership that I can provide, if it's utilised and implemented, but I'm a low yet loud voice on the Totem pole for now.

I'm not jumping ship with the rats.....I have a Cavalry background to stand ground and fight to improve it. It's just a fleeting moment of second guessing......but I guess the question is already answered since I'm not complaining about quitting it. Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance.....it's a question on validation of character!?
God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    are we talking subject matter at hand, or are we giving up sniffing glue?

My advice would be slightly different for each scenario..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Well, I was going to say smoking pot at work. I know what you're talking about. I served most of my active duty time as a operations NCO for Army Reserve units. Trying to implement a zip filed active duty training program into part time force was not fun and lonely at the top of the pole.
    Hang in there.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    I'm lost
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    I'm lost

Me too. What the [bleep] are you talking about? And why all the circuitous dancing around the issue, whatever that issue is? My inner fog is now denser than the fog outside, which is already saying a lot. Since when does NE Texas get fogged in?
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    My interpretation was his job.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    That's what I thought as well. I reached the same conclusion recently, and while many think I'm nutso for taking the plunge and seeking something new, I'd rather do it on my own terms.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    if you speak about the job, i can feel for you.

ive been here for 2 years and its still the same ol BS. they do an annual survey and my bosses want us to do them since the participation rate is about 50%. one boss is more concerned about the appearance of the 50% rate then anything else. thats how petty they are. also, i told one of the managers when i started, this place isnt going to change until they clear house of 1. the mangaers, 2. CEO & BOD 3. then culture here. its been running for 20+ years like this so it aint going to change over night or w/o cleaning house of the people that are keeping it that way. Since i dont see any of the 3 happening, its going to stay that way.

im just glad i work with some great people on the floor. i wouldnt want to go back to Enginnering in this place. Maybe somewhere else, but definately not here.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    That's what I thought as well. I reached the same conclusion recently, and while many think I'm nutso for taking the plunge and seeking something new, I'd rather do it on my own terms.

Wife just gave in her notice after 28 years, tired of being treated like a mushroom.
    Plus side she may be visiting the US of A again.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    I'm lost

And I thought it was just me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    The 'smaller" the issue is perceived as the harder it will be to deal with it...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I'm lost

you-are-here.jpg

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    :popcorn:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Calvary???????????????
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    It's that moment, where you look at the wall and think, what did I get myself into!? You take a deep breath and sigh....what is my resolve!? How far is my commitment to ...............................!?

This I understand clearly, (cos I go through it with every woman I date and my bedroom wallpaper doesnt provide inspiration)..........................The rest of your post ............lost me.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I'm guessing job, especially sine 5280 stepped up a bit in position recently. And that is exactly why I'm staying in grunt position until I have the backing to do my own business for myself.

Suck it up and stick it out for a while, if you really need something new, then look but keep at the current gig for now and only move on if something REALLY strikes you as the right move.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    Calvary???????????????

Wasn't that the hill that Christ was crucified on? No disrespect intended.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »
    Wasn't that the hill that Christ was crucified on?

Nah............that was Cavalry................:wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    Calvary???????????????
    Not horses~~~~~~tanks
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Play the game, make the paper.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Being boss sucks big greasy donkey nuts.

I just have to ask.

How many 'big greasy donkey nuts' have you sucked?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I just have to ask.

Thank you Jerry for the new sig line :beer:
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I just have to ask.

We're talking about the same guy that "hoed a gus."
    cpj wrote: »

42 individual....or 21 pair?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    In a row.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Were the donkeys greasy, or the bags? I'm confused.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I'm laughing so hard I'm cryin...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Not horses~~~~~~tanks

Horses, Tanks...don't make no difference...it's still Cavalry
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    My interpretation was his job.

Ding ding ding ding......winner!!!!!......look at the big brain on Rob! Yes sir Mr. Sivley you got it......job concerns.

For those that got lost.....north is that-a-way (points towards the sun at noon.....:tooth:) Just ribbin' ya guys.....but I'm no better for misspelling Cavalry......flu meds made my normally anal-retentive typing rather wonky last night.....so solly for sloppy lighting.

CPJ and MHS pretty much nailed it. Got "titled" recently as Asst. Dept. Mgr for 2 separate divisions within my new-to-me company after only 3 months and we had a meeting last night that's showing a transformation in the leadership. I was kinda second-guessing myself, but decided to rely on my NCO experience and get the ball rolling.

After I logged off of here, I analyzed the problems we've been having with poor performance and documentation for a start, and realized that the line troopers don't have the proper supervision and have gotten laxed in their duties. The owner's intent is for me to be the kick in the rear. So I created a form for "Acknowledgement of Tasks, Conditions, & Standards". I printed off the Inspection Forms for each of my 13 locations, and a Inspection Results form......so that they know what their position entails, what is being looked at, and the results of that inspection. Most corporate type of companies use docs like this for CYA......I see it as a training tool, and explain it that way, and so far they are appreciating it heartfelt because they are seeing that someone is actually caring about what they do, making sure they know why it's important, and not some D-head coming along and docking them for goof-ups.

Within the state of Colorado, the employee has a right to have their duties explained again before you can document wrongdoings (be sure to document that you explained!)....to me it's just basic military leadership 101. However as some of you are aware of......leadership in the military style demands a personal investment for the consideration of the employee and the mission of the company.........That's what I was mulling over......do I really want to get back into the Platoon Sergeant role again?. However it seems that I'm doing just that naturally and w/o being told to.

I guess that's a life-long skill set you learn.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    oh heck..is that all?

You got it right,though.

Everyone gets a job description, signs it (two copies, one for them, one for HR), and it goes in their personnel file.
    Everyone signs a statement saying their performance will be reviewed at three, six, and twelve month intervals.
    Got an employee handbook? Everyone gets a copy and signs the last page, which is removed and goes in their personnel file.
    Any time a policy changes or is updated, two copies provided to the employee. One is signed and goes in their file.
    In three months, everyone gets a review.
    Three months later, they get reviewed again; This time, the Performance Improvement Plans start.
    Six months later, we review again. This time, employees passing their PIPs are congratulated, ones that fail PIPs are terminated.

In the words of Vito Corleone, "it's nothing personal.. it's only business.."
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've seen many polls and more pay is never at the top of the list. It's always things like feeling like being part of the team, and feeling like their contribution was valued.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs