It's now become one of those moments to make a choice

2»

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    one of my tenets is, "You get what you expect."
    Tell them you expect excellence, expect it, and you'll get it.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Part of the problem is JLD, is expecting excellence from Part Time Personnel.....it's an attitude thing correlated with pay and hours. They "knew" what they where getting into. So it's now my job to be the buffer-man.....crappiest job in the world.....like being a Corporal or buck Sergeant again....make them perform within the limitations. I can't take the easy rout and be Gunnery SGT Hartman.....it has to be done smart now.

However I believe this to be the smart way. "Connect" with the troops, see to their concerns, assist and train and further their progress and inspire them to continue. In the Army its easy....you're gonna learn or physically suffer......now we have to keep people from walking away if they don't like it.

If 1SG Short sees this.....I expect a PM Shane! I'm dealing with Civs bro....I'm popping red smoke!

Leadership looks like a guy walking away from the crowd to enjoy his coffee and have his smoke to relax.......but what you don't know that it's a guy racking his brain thinking, how the hell am I gonna deal with this!?

I have the answers.......I'm looking for camaraderie for support, cause I'm on my own on this.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Horses, Tanks...don't make no difference...it's still Cavalry
    I foot raced a tank xcountry in an exercise once; the tank won.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Part of the problem is JLD, is expecting excellence from Part Time Personnel.....it's an attitude thing correlated with pay and hours. They "knew" what they where getting into. So it's now my job to be the buffer-man.....

you tell them this, "...I don't expect you to enjoy every aspect of your job. That's why it's called a 'job' and why you get 'paid to do it.' Flip side of this is, the company is NOT an employment agency. We don't 'owe' you X number of hours, or a certain pay rate. If that's what you're after, go temp it. We expect quality employees to take pride in quality work, no matter how tedious or mind-numbing it can be. You will be held to the same standards as everyone else..."

in other words, "I don't care if you like your job or not. But I do expect it you to do it."
    as you put it.. like a buck Sgt.
    "OK guys, here is the task. Let's get it done so it sucks less."

Kinda like that Donald Fagen "Snowbound" video.. it sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks, then it's over, and that rules!
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    It's that moment, where you look at the wall and think, what did I get myself into!? You take a deep breath and sigh....what is my resolve!? How far is my commitment to fix this organization!? What is the benefit for me.....to the mission....am I committed enough to believe in it and see it through?!

I see both sides....yet when I join something, I want to see it through and do the best I can with the tools I've learned.....it's not a losing proposition.....I will not quit.....it just needs proper leadership that I can provide, if it's utilised and implemented, but I'm a low yet loud voice on the Totem pole for now.

I'm not jumping ship with the rats.....I have a Cavalry background to stand ground and fight to improve it. It's just a fleeting moment of second guessing......but I guess the question is already answered since I'm not complaining about quitting it. Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance.....it's a question on validation of character!?

I knew you were talking about a job related situation. While I am sure you position is WAY WAAYYYYY more important then mine. My current feeling mirror exactely what you typed out. A couple years ago I got burnt out an walked away from a job of 10 years. It was a really tough decision and I knew it was a risky and probably bad thing to do. I was making good money and the company was fantastic. I should have just asked for time off to recover. I am sure they would have given that too me.

Now I am in a low rent job a fricken high schooler should be doing and it is in no way satisfying. In the begining it could have been. But the management is horrible. Every department is it's own little kingdom and there is a road block at every turn trying to screw up my job. The head "man" is one of those wimpy femenin guys that will flee from any type of conflict. No one is "scared" of him and so problems have spiraled out of control for years. I am serious if there is a problem he will literally disapear on you. I can't image being a man and being such a wimp. There is no leadership here or inspiration to do a great job.

So when I first took this job I was super enthusiastic to make this program I started work. Because I needed to know the choice I made to come here was the right thing. Then the road blocks started coming and I fought it for awhile but now I am at the point I just clock in.....do as little as possible and try to just get through the day and make enough to pay the bills. There is absolutely zero motivation for me to try and be successful or go the extra mile here. Do I want to be like that? NO! But I see no reason to do anything more then needed to collect a check that would be the same amount if I did work harder.

I am stuck here too as long as Obama is in office and the liberals continue to smother economic growth. So yeah I totaly got what you were saying in your original post!
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Basically, you will formulate a workable plan, work your butt off to implement it (tweaking as you go) and continue to work your butt off bird-dogging it until you trust your men to do their job without being bird-dogged. If management does nothing to undermine you, things will level out out, and you can relax a little, till your men find ways to circumvent the rules and proliferate this knowledge.

Repeat.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Have I mentioned lately how glad I am that I am no longer The Man, but just a lowly service tech? One that gets his assignments, heads out to make customers happy, inspects things that keep people and property safe, then goes home at a normal time and doesn't have to think about work till the next morning when I start the van?

Ditto to that statement right there. Even though I had to get a 2nd PT job to get finances almost back to where I was when sitting behind a desk....I'm not sitting behind a desk anymore tasked with handing down BS from above, and taking all the complaints about it. I'm no longer the magic wand that fixes things with a simple wave. And all I have to do, is my job, and then go home.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Many years ago, I was in charge of managing the development of a large, ambitious software project for a customer. By the time the job was over, I was quite literally burned out. It's the only time in my life I have ever felt this way, and I didn't wish to feel like this ever again. The last three weeks of the job I put in consecutive 90+ hour weeks, but I got the job done.

Somewhere during this job, I developed a good relationship with one of the company's VPs. I asked him point blank if he would support me in my bid to go into management. He told me point blank "NO". His reasoning was analagous to not wanting to turn his best salesman into a not so good sales manager.

I thought about it, and realized that I liked staying technical and opted not to try to break into management. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I'll be 62 in September, and will retire shortly before then. I've had a good career, and have no complaints. And, unless the economy goes completely into the tank, I'll be able to afford the lifestyle my wife and I are living now. I guess it could be better, but I have no complaints.

Sometimes the best thing a person can do is figure out a good fit for themselves, and stick with it. It has worked for me.

Steve, good luck with whatever you do. I hope you find something that makes you happy, and provides a good living. When it's all said and done, that's really the best any of us can expect.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If I was the HMFIC, the TOP dog that actually has authority to makethe decisions, that would be one thing. But being at the end of the pipe, where "stuff" flows to,and having to swallow what they feed you witha smile on your face...nahhh. not for me. Sitting on a conference call KNOWING what some tool is proposing wont work and just having to take it, will drive a person insane.

Chris, be grateful that you learned this lesson while you're still relatively young. Sometimes the only thing worse than not getting what you want IS getting what you want.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I'd like to let y'all know my heartfelt appreciation towards your comments and insight.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    A further update since the time has become available.....been filling in on the personnel gaps and working split shifts early am and pm duties, with computer interface during the mid day breaks.....essentially non-stop work and management duties. I turned down an offer for full management for one division....it would've been a literal 24/7 job, with me working the gaps. The Boss actually called and reassured me to not feel bad about turning that position down....he appreciated that someone had the maturity to recognize when taking on too much was not in the best interest for anyone. You're either all in or not.....I was not all in for it.

It's turning out that I'm being thrust into the management position anyway....as a partial manager for two divisions.....I'll break it down for y'all so you can understand.

I got hired on to do commercial carpet cleaning/maintenance.....Shortly thereafter I got sent for a course in Carpet Cleaning and got certified with a "A average" in Carpet Cleaning Technician.....got a nice little badge and certificate......means I can do a bank or a house, and can look at your carpet and tell you if it's made of Wool, Nylon, or Polyester.....it really gets technical, and know now the differences of how blood, crap/urine, and ink/dyes affect them. Not much different from commercial pest control.....it's all in the details. The world needs ditch-diggers, but some are better than other at handling a shovel.

I finagled a higher than normal wage from the bosses' mistake.....he said 17-21 when he meant $17.21 hr.....HR guy and I misconstrued, so I was a lenient guy and suggested somewhere in the middle....$19 hr....and it got agreed upon. OOPS!

Well this run-amok small company does realize talent and brains after-all. We've gone through a lot of reorganization...let go our COO and everyone has moved up to higher positions to realign.

In the trenches.....my coworker and I pulled a hell-a-shish day yesterday. Started at 03:30, and ended at 23:00......after that my phone lit up at O' dark thirty while I was sleeping.....whiner slacker complaining about this and that....with attitude. Called him back after awhile and raked his a s s over the coals when I finally woke up. His unprofessional attitude and if he don't like it.....he's replacable.....blah blah blah.....personnel management, ya know!?

Y'all complain about being the Man.....well now I am, and it sucks, but you have to know how to deal with it. That's the gist of the original post.....the only choice I have is to quit, and I made it clear that I wouldn't. My duties are further expanding.....it's inspections for now......soon it will be budgets......pile on from there.

I just wanted to vent brothers, y'all have been there and done that, so I hope you understand I'm not whining.....just B-tching about day to day work like we all do amongst friends, or people that "get it".

Keep you head up, and someone else's nose to the grindstone.......lol!
2»