My Favorite Reticle (long post with pics and vid)

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 6,815 Senior Member
Over time I have evolved in my preference in scope reticles.
Even at that, I am talking about in this thread my favorite reticle for field shooting, tac matches, and hunting.
If it is bench shooting and or pd's, then I have some different preferences (not going to mention that preference in this thread).
I went outside and took a quick pic.
Finally this reticle is available.
I have been pushing optic companies for about a 7 years to do something like this and now it is available, or within the month or less it will be available in 3 different brands of scopes (Leupold VX-3's and Mark 4, and NF NXS 3.5-15 in FFP only).
At the beginning it is only available with the S&B 4-16 PM II, but it will also be available in the 5-25 PM II (and I think the 3-12) as well in less than a month.
FYI- Holland's already has an all MIL reticle in the three brands of scope is mentioned.
Here is a pic of the Holland ART (Advanced Reticle Technology) MOA reticle:
IMG_6676.jpg

There is a number of MOA reticles on the market in both second focal plane and first focal plane.
But with the exception of one company that I know of (Vortex, and maybe one more, but it only lists it every 10 MOA) all of them just have lines, dashes or dots (The MOA is NOT internally listed).
Most of the Ballistic reticle are the same, just lines.
I have watched a good number of shooters/hunters have missed their target or game because they lost count of the line/dot/dash and put it one the wrong one.
For guys that always use the main cross-hair, I have seen rotational errors or non-rotational errors (Forgot to turn the turrets).
Here is some reasons I really like this system best.
This particular scope is in FFP. I don't have to worry about turning the scope up or having it at the right magnification for the reticle to have the proper subtension.
With a confirmed drop chart, all you have to do is shoot by the numbers. No more guess work or holdovers.
There is a line every 1.5 MOA, and the MOA is listed (etched glass reticle) every three MOA. All the way to 30 MOA.
You will notice that on each side of the vertical cross-hair the horizontal lines are different lengths.
The short ones are 2 MOA, and the long ones are 4 MOA with a line to show where 2 MOA is. Very rarely would you ever have to hold more than 4 MOA for wind (I have dialed a lot more than that before, but not the norm).
There are three ways you can use this reticle:

1st, simply use the reticle, and never touch a turret. This is super fast for a tac match or even in hunting.
If you know the distance and the wind, it is simply shooting by the numbers.
Having that reticle on a animal is very easy to use and quick.
No fiddling with your turrets wasting precious time and taking away your attention from the task at hand.
It is easy and quick to half 1.5 MOA, and even 1/4 it while looking through it.

2nd, reticle+dialing.
Here you will never dial more than 1.25 MOA. In this case you have the time to be completely precise.
Lets say you need 11.0 MOA for the distance you are shooting.
The line between the 9 & 12 MOA lines is half way between the two or 1.5 MOA different (10.5 MOA!).
You need 11.0 MOA, so you can just use your reticle, and separate it into 1/3's, and hold in the right place as mentioned in the first scenario.
Or you can hold on to the 10.5 MOA line and dial .5 MOA/1/2MOA or 2 clicks on most scope turrets.
In this scenario, you are always have your target on a line with no hold-offs.
IMG_6676.jpg

3rd, just dial and use the turrets like you would with a dot plex reticle.

WIND:
You can also hold off for the wind using the reticle or you can dial-Here again you have the ability to do it two different ways.

Another great thing about this reticle is the ability to make quick shot correction when needed from either the main crosshair or other parts of the reticle.
Let say you are shooting at a piece of steel of unknown size at 450 yards. You did your best to dope the conditions but your shot was low and right.
With a Plex or dot reticle you don't have a way to accurately measure it, but with the ART Reticle, you can easily measure the correction you need to make for the next one to be a center hit.
Same with getting a gun zeroed, that has a new or different scope on it.
Your reticle is like a yardstick and will have on the bull in a couple of shots.

Another asset using this reticle is that you don't have to worry about variance in turrets adjustments, since you are using a fixed system.

Above the main cross-hair the vertical line goes into even finer adjustments (1 MOA). Production will even have some finer enhancements.
This can be used for even finer corrections when using your scope to spot for someone else or making your own corrections.
It can also be used for reticle ranging. The finer the measurement the more accurate you can be in reticle ranging.
This is the reticle I used for doing initial drop confirmation out to 1K last week.
I used the reticle/dial combo to be precise. I didn't have my R/L (windage) turret zeroed and I was shooting to the right from the get go.
Also, I found out after the fact that my action screw was more loose than it should be. I re-tightened it and reconfirmed my 100 yard zero.
Should I have checked those things before-hand? YES! I make mistakes too like everyone else

Once I got to 1000 yards, I went back and then just ran the reticle from 200 yards out to 600 yards with no turrets whatsoever.
Here is the range with no zoom:
IMG_6672.jpg
With zoom:
IMG_6673.jpg
Specialty Pistol I was shooting: 6.5 Leopard (Pink Panther) Rem. XP-100, scope S&B PM II with ART Reticle from Holland's Shooting Supply.
IMG_6671.jpg

I then write the correction on my drop chart after I make the shot, then go home and adjust MV and sometimes BC (multiple BC's/ degrading BC's until my drop chart matches my actual drops.

If you want to see the actual shooting, then here is the YouTube links.
It is not entertaining, but what I actually did.
I was by myself, so at times I couldn't see where I missed since the recoils moves me off of the target.
I could get back on the FOV to have a good idea most of the time though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kxcdGNI50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAB-3X3THJY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JBX5x-pC-Y&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7xtW8d4I2o&feature=related
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,760 Senior Member
    There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple, and it's good to see that optics companies are getting that with their ranging reticles.

I was glad to see Leupold come out with their M5 adjustment dials for the Mark 4 line. These can be had on their mil-scale scopes and run in 1/10th mil increments. While this equates to slightly coarser adjustments than what we're used to (.36MOA vs. .25MOA), you now have ten clicks per mil instead of 14, which is a lot easier to keep straight in your head. It's also good because you no longer have to think in terms of MOA AND mil - you can run strictly on mils. You've got a similar advantage in that you can run strictly in MOA.

Your system pretty much needs an FFP arrangement or a fixed power scope. I pretty much concluded with mil systems that if I was dialed to less than the 10x or 14x where my mils were properly spaced for ranging, I was probably within my rifle's PBR and didn't need to do much more than hold over or under a couple inches - so I've learned to live without FFP before it really started to become an option. I'm also REALLY starting to like Leupold's illuminated reticles, which you can't get with the FFP option, so I guess I'll be rolling old school mil scale (or the slightly sexier TMR) for the foreseeable future - at least on my big guns.

Now for a p-dog rifle sporting an 8.5-25x, I think that reticle of yours is something that I would simply HAVE to have. :applause:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Ernie, I enjoy that and I really like the reticle and sure enjoyed the videos. Thanks that was fun watching, really cool and I love your shooting.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,815 Senior Member
    Bigslug,
    I have several scopes in SFP with Holland's ART and they work just fine. Of course you need to remember to have the magnification at its highest for the subtension to be correct.
    Which is true of the majority of scopes today whether they have a ballistic, MIL, or MOA reticle.
    There are more and more good FFP scopes showing up every year and I think that percentage will continue to slightly increase.
    There are many ways to "Skin The Cat" when it comes to shooting distance.
    Some prefer to dial, everything, while other prefer to dial elevation and hold for wind.
    Find the system that works for you best.
    But I believe that with a FFP scope with ART I can shoot multiple distances or even at a single distance faster with accuracy faster than someone who dials.
    Simply because I do not have to touch the turret.
    That is why after I finished the confirmation, I ran from 200-600 yards without using the turrets whatsoever.
    You could tell I was not going for speed there, but I just wanted to show another way of doing distance.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thank you!
    It is one of the things that brings me pleasure.
    It was enjoyable shooting by myself, but what I really like is to have a partner who is on the same page as I am, and then it is faster, easier, you can learn more, etc.
    Then you switch roles.
    If you really want to learn to read the wind spend hours on a spotting scope calling correction for others.
    I think that I enjoy watching others learn/experience it even more than I do shooting myself.
    At one time I could not say that, but now I can.
    Ernie, I enjoy that and I really like the reticle and sure enjoyed the videos. Thanks that was fun watching, really cool and I love your shooting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thank you!
    It is one of the things that brings me pleasure.
    It was enjoyable shooting by myself, but what I really like is to have a partner who is on the same page as I am, and then it is faster, easier, you can learn more, etc.
    Then you switch roles.
    If you really want to learn to read the wind spend hours on a spotting scope calling correction for others.
    I think that I enjoy watching others learn/experience it even more than I do shooting myself.
    At one time I could not say that, but now I can.

Well you do it well, I was impressed with your shooting, once again, thanks for sharing.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,044 Senior Member
    That reticle is a little "busy" for my tastes. If it works for you, more power to you though :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

At first, I wasn't sure myself.
    One thing it does and does quickly is to let you use your own scope give you the correction, when needed.
    You don't have to guess, since you have your "MOA Tape Measure" there.
    Sometimes I just spot with my rifle scope instead of using a spotting scope that has no reticle, because I can give my buddies accurate info quickly.
    Now if you know the size of your target and the distance you can also give fast info.
    It is my preferred reticle, but I have a number of scopes that are different than the ART.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    That reticle is a little "busy" for my tastes. If it works for you, more power to you though :beer:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I try to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principal when it come to reticles
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Understood
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    If we all liked the exact same stuff, this would be one BORING place :beer:

If we all liked the exact same stuff, this would be one BORING place :beer:

Amen on that Paul, it would be a boring world indeed. I like a simple reticle for my hunting rifles when I know I am going to make my average shots I make, but I could see the use of the one Ernie posted if I was into real long range hunting or targets.
    I called Darrell Holland this afternoon, and asked how the production reticle would be different.
    I was thinking it was going to be 1/4 MOA lines at the edges of the reticle similar to the TMR, but in MOA, not MILs. I was part right and part wrong.
    They will be in 2/10th's MOA not .25 MOA.
    This will be used to be more precise in reticle ranging, and it also can be used to give precise correction if desired.
    The TMR has it's fine lines in two tenths of a MIL, whereas the ART will have it in 2/10th's of an MOA.
    1 MIL=3.6" per 100 yards, whereas 1 MOA=1.047" at 100 yards.
    1 MIL is the same as 3.438 MOA. As you can tell MOA is finer than MILs, so a 2/10ths MOA line graduations will give one the ability to reticle range easier, especially for the beginner.
    The only reason I reticle range is so that if all of my technology goes belly up in determining range, I still have a way of determining it out to 400-500 yards.
    The reason why I limit myself there is mainly the difference in sizes of animals in the same species.
    Much past 500 yards a difference in size, can throw one off to where it can become a wound or miss proposition.
    PLEASE FORGIVE ME BP-I AM TECHNOLOGY DEPENDENT! I even like chronographs:drool2:
    Kidding aside, I keep as many "Murphy Proof" means with me as possible to still make it a successful hunt if technology goes down.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Good thread! I have tested and played with several styles over the years. Some good and some that make you wonder what the designer was smoking. For me, it's a logistical issue. I shoot Mils at work. So I shoot Mils is my personal guns. They work and I don't want to confuse my brain switching back and forth. Companies have tried to push their new dangled design often. But, it ain't gonna happen an here is why. I need continuity. We have one way and we teach one way. It does no good to switch methods or gear unless I can provide it for everyone. We all have to work the same way and use the same method so ANYBODY can be paired and function. Cost is an issue at times. Especially when I have a shelf full of brand new scopes for future shooters. Can't justify a new system when I have X number already fielded and X number ready to BE fielded. Raises, if I switched, I'd have to retrain every shooter scattered to the 4 winds. If I'm going to do that, it better be something that beats socks off of sliced bread or it ain't worth it in money and time. While something may be an improvement, it has to be ENOUGH of an improvement to justify the time and cost. Good stuff you got there and I like it. But no matter how much I like it, some things just aren't meant to be for me and mine. Unfortunate nature of the beast. If it ain't broke.........
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    That is one of the nicest, "I will not use it" I can remember.
    IT is not for everyone, that is for sure.
    Even though you still will not use it, he has the all MIL version, called, "Holland's Ultimate MIL Reticle" HUMR.
    Click on advanced Reticle Technology and then scroll down to "Ultimate Mil Reticle" http://www.hollandguns.com/
    Also check out the turret caps. Now with Mark 4's you can work MIL/MIL--No more mixed system shooting
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Oh, I wasn't knocking your choice in the least. I like it. Just frustrating sometimes the monstrous logistical nightmare. I mean, often I've tested absolutely cool kit that I'd love to have. But I have to stop and think. Can I get X number of these? What would it take to get everybody up to speed on this? Blah, blah, blah. When you weigh the cons, sometimes it doesn't pan out. Frustrating to say the least. But that wasn't a jab at your kit. It was a "****, I can't justify it!".
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Never took it as a negative response.
    Understand where you are coming from.
    Last, it may not be as out of reach as you think, regardless of the scopes you have in the box ;)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I can't wait. :popcorn:
    If you get serious about getting one, and have any questions, let me know.
    In the Leupy's VX-3's and Mark 4's, 3.5-10, 4.5x14, 6.5-20, and 8.5-25
    My partner and I have used a 1" VX-3 3.5-10 and have shot sub MOA past 600 yards with an AR-15 handgun.
    Very fast and accurate for a LR tac comp.
    This was at 300, shooting at two different times
    McReeXP631.jpg
    I.T.R.C.
    A Thread I posted that linked http://dlsports.com/itrc_2009_article.html
    Video to show better the type of comp it is (please excuse the infomercial part) http://dlsports.com/itrc_2009_video.html
    I promise it will work for pd's, steel, and hunting, and quickly.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Now for a p-dog rifle sporting an 8.5-25x, I think that reticle of yours is something that I would simply HAVE to have. :applause:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The last video clip (4th one) is where I go back to 900 yards, and then I shoot from 200-600 with just using the reticle (no dialing whatsoever).
    It is also the shortest video clip.

When folks mention a busy reticle from seeing a pic about it, sometimes we don't realize how easy and non-cluttered it really is.
    One, it is different than the traditional plex, so it will feel cluttered compared to a plex reticle.
    But it is so much more capable than a plex.
    I have been using scopes with ART and own two scopes with ART (Both Leupold's) for a number of years.

For instance lets pretend you are shooting the Pink Panther (6.5 Leopard/WSM) with a 130 Berger @ 3050, at my atmospheric conditions.
    You are going to be shooting at 600 yards. On a piece of steel that is 12x12 inches.
    The way I use the reticle to be precise in this case would make the 9 MOA line (check pic above) my aiming point, and I would dial 1MOA up on my turret.
    From the center of the steel target you have 6 inches in up/down right/left
    At 600 yards, 1 MOA is approximately 6"
    Since I am holding the 9MOA line on the center of the target I have the 7.5 MOA line above my target and the 10.5 MOA below my target.
    Since each line is 1.5 MOA apart, then at 600 yards, the 7.5 MOA line and the 10.5 MOA line are not touching the target, but 3" above and below the target.
    I have taken game at under 200 yards using this reticle and I never found it being an issue when hunting and shooting in the heat of the moment.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

When folks mention a busy reticle from seeing a pic about it, sometimes we don't realize how easy and non-cluttered it really is.
    Sorry Ernie, but I've gotta disagree with you on the "non-cluttered" part. Over 25 different aiming references on the vertical cross hair is the epitome of "cluttered" IMO.
    Since I've never used it, I cannot make an informed comment about the "easy" part though.

For anyone shooting their rigs out to 350 yards or so, this is probably not for them. A standard plex or dot is more than enough.
    Even most ballistic reticles are not need for those distances, unless you are shooting a rainbow trajectory.
    I love NF's NP-DD reticle-Very uncluttered.
    For BR shooting or shooting where you have someone spotting for you that can give you correction, or your target size remains the same, so you know (because of your known target size) know how to correct when you see your hit on the target.
    It is a terrible reticle for field shooting at distance though, since you cannot know how much correction you need to make, as you have no reference or "yardstick"
    Even the idea of a dot reticle with a MOA reticle starting 1 MOA off of the dot or small "+" would be very helpful for me as an all around reticle for all types of shooting as it would give me the best of both worlds.

Not going to argue about is cluttered or uncluttered, as it comes down to a matter of perspective.
    Cluttered and almost confusing to me is: http://www.horusvision.com/reticles.php and http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/templates/common/pdfs/reticle_rev6.pdf

It comes down to, for me at least, as a matter of function and ease of use.
    There are a lot of reticles that are 1 & 2 MOA reticles that are used for LR shooting/hunting.

What they do is give you an accurate reference for sizing, distance, and correction.
    It also gives you the means of doing that while keeping your foundation, cheek weld, etc ready to make an immediate correction without having to fiddle with your turrets.
    The traditional plex, cross-hair, or dot reticle cannot do any of that.

As mentioned, if typical hunting distance or short range is your choice, then reticles like this are useless, and expensive.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Not going to argue about is cluttered or uncluttered, as it comes down to a matter of perspective.
    Cluttered and almost confusing to me is: http://www.horusvision.com/reticles.php and http://www.davidtubb.com/davidtubb/content/templates/common/pdfs/reticle_rev6.pdf
    I'll agree with you that both of those are "cluttered" as well
    The Burris "Ballisti-plex" reticle is about my upper limit of "clutter" when it comes to what I will tolerate.
    Scopeview1.jpg
    Sorry for the arrow in the pic, it's pointed at a 4" clay pigeon on the 515 yrd berm @ my range and was added for a different reason a while back

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    Ernie, I love that reticle. I wish it would have been available when I bought my Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 x 56mm Objective with 30mm Tube. That would have been the "Cat's Pajamas" for sure.
    Edited to Add: That reticle looks cluttered but it is simple to read in my mind. I don't mind lines in the reticle if they help me. If they can give me reference to known distances expecially.

My favorite reticle is the Nikon BDC. I love it. I have two scopes with it. But this one has lines that look to be fine enough that they don't get in the way of the target. That's the reason I love the BDC because I can sight through the little bubbles and see all of my target.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    In reality, you can have your cake and eat it too.
    Just give Holland's a call and send in your scope, and they will change out the reticle for you.

FYI-You do NOT lose your Leupold warranty with that conversion!:applause:
    Get that done, put it on your best 270, and come up here and we will film what it can do waaaay out there.:guns:
    snake284 wrote: »
    Ernie, I love that reticle. I wish it would have been available when I bought my Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 x 56mm Objective with 30mm Tube. That would have been the "Cat's Pajamas" for sure.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have use the 3-12 Burris LER with B-Plex reticle out to 1K.
    Used to have 5 of them with target turrets. I would dial off of lines depending on the distance.
    Sold all but one of them, since going to riflescopes.
    In low light they can be a **** to see when hunting at distance.
    I'll agree with you that both of those are "cluttered" as well
    The Burris "Ballisti-plex" reticle is about my upper limit of "clutter" when it comes to what I will tolerate.
    Scopeview1.jpg
    Sorry for the arrow in the pic, it's pointed at a 4" clay pigeon on the 515 yrd berm @ my range and was added for a different reason a while back
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I think I have the perfect scope to send off for that MOA reticle and the perfect gun for it to go on.:devil::guns:
    I have gotten to the point where a scope without at least Mils, looks naked. Just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling when there is something besides just Duplex.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I have gotten to the point where a scope without at least Mils, looks naked. Just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling when there is something besides just Duplex.

I can't imagine why you feel that way about Mils since it is a pretty regular experience for you :guns::jester: I mean, those Mil dots have become part of the scenery for sometime now. :cool::cool:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    In reality, you can have your cake and eat it too.
    Just give Holland's a call and send in your scope, and they will change out the reticle for you.

FYI-You do NOT lose your Leupold warranty with that conversion!:applause:
    Get that done, put it on your best 270, and come up here and we will film what it can do waaaay out there.:guns:

That's true Ernie. Actually that scope will be on my .257 Ackley Improved. Will they change a reticle on scopes other than Leupold?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.