Home Main Category Hunting

Colorado 2013 Regs out!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberDenver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
Got my reg book in the mail today!! Pretty excited to start planning out my applications. I'm thinking of applying for the early rifle timberline mule deer hunt. It spans units 48, 481, 56, 561 and runs in the middle of September. If I can draw it, this could be a real shot at a bruiser of a buck and possibly still in velvet. If that is what I end up applying for, I'll be hitting the gym HARD the morning after I apply.I can hunt pretty hard, in some nasty terrain...but taking it up a notch STARTING from about 11k for 2 weeks, that'll be a test.

Not sure what I'll do for elk. I'll put in for a point first and then base my hunts around my deer tag (or lack of) and probably hit the left overs for a 4th season tag in 551.

If I get that timber hunt, its going to take some new kit that is for sure. Thank the lord for that Gander discount :cool2:

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,662 Senior Member
    Is 551 by your cousins place? Looks like 54 stayed the same? These DOW regs are a bit much to read. Me and Bud will have to send you some bacon and pumpkin butter for those morning workouts:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I got mine a day or two ago, but haven't had much of a chance to look it over.

Like last year, I may just play tag along, chief grunt, etc. and enjoy other's successes.

Some of you out of staters may want to apply for an antelope preference point. For most areas, it will take 2-3 points to draw a buck tag. Other than being without the cost of the tag ($351) for a few months, it only costs $3 to apply. You have the option of getting your money back.

Almost forgot. Deadline for applying is April 2.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I bet they delivered it by semi and unloaded it by forklift.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Is 551 by your cousins place? Looks like 54 stayed the same? These DOW regs are a bit much to read. Me and Bud will have to send you some bacon and pumpkin butter for those morning workouts:)

Cousin and Uncle's places are both in 551
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Think I'll be applying for a doe goat tag up north in the Pawnee NGL this year. Heck of a lot closer then these 3-4 hour jaunts I've been doing the last few years. They opened up 2 new units on the CO/WY border to public land hunts, but I cannot find any info on hunting around there. One place has permits you must apply for by the end of Feb, before you even put in for the draw for your animal! Plus the web site hasn't been updated to include antelope, even though DOW says it should...ugh. I hate having to make phone calls to gov. workers, especially local/county types, in my experience they took a hard fall down the stupid tree and hit several branches on the way.
    Buffco wrote: »

Tell you what, Buffy. Just tell me what you want to apply for, when, etc., and I'll do the application for you. And, to make matters even easier for you, just give me your credit card number, cash, check or other form of payment and I'll even apply for you. Of course, there will be a small but nominal fee that I will charge for this service.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member

Bud's planning on hunting 54 again. He just got a new stove for his tent, but I bet he could be persuaded to stay in a condo again if he had someone to make him bacon! He bought a 7mm, too.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Think I'll be applying for a doe goat tag up north in the Pawnee NGL this year. Heck of a lot closer then these 3-4 hour jaunts I've been doing the last few years. They opened up 2 new units on the CO/WY border to public land hunts, but I cannot find any info on hunting around there. One place has permits you must apply for by the end of Feb, before you even put in for the draw for your animal! Plus the web site hasn't been updated to include antelope, even though DOW says it should...ugh. I hate having to make phone calls to gov. workers, especially local/county types, in my experience they took a hard fall down the stupid tree and hit several branches on the way.

I can really feel your pain when you talk about dealing with government workers. Ya know, its funny, some government workers are really professional, but they're usually people who specialize in a field, such as law enforcement or biologists. But the government can pick the most worthless people to answer phones, and especially the Feds. I think they hire the handicapped in those roles.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    I can really feel your pain when you talk about dealing with government workers. Ya know, its funny, some government workers are really professional, but they're usually people who specialize in a field, such as law enforcement or biologists. But the government can pick the most worthless people to answer phones, and especially the Feds. I think they hire the handicapped in those roles.
    When you hire at or near minimum wage, you don't get the best of job applicants.
    I'm just here for snark.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Bud's planning on hunting 54 again. He just got a new stove for his tent, but I bet he could be persuaded to stay in a condo again if he had someone to make him bacon! He bought a 7mm, too.

How about you, are you up for another scope to the head this year? What season is Bud looking at?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    That's right, you guys rub it in. Mule Deer in Velvet, Ha! Heck I haven't been out there in probably 10 years. I wonder how long you keep your points after not applying for a while. At one time I think I had 6 or 7. We had been trying to accumulate enough points for a ML Elk hunt. seems like when we just needed one more point the next year the odds went up. So we never got to do it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Buffco wrote: »

It's not that bad it just seems that way when you're used to the way it is for us. and we actually have some pretty sweet spots and hunts that you have to apply for a permit.
    Snake: Actually when I used to go out there every year the people that answered the phone were pretty knowledgeable and very helpful. They had a little field office in Craig IIRC and that staff definitely knew their stuff and were super helpful, professional, and courteous.

I know I've complained about the issue before but if you think about it they manage a very diverse wildlife resource scattered over very diverse habitat. And then there's the weather, or better said, the Winter. I'm sure the rules they make, make perfect sense to them.
    The way I've always looked at hunting regs is that wild life biologists make decisions based on What's best for the herd and sustaining the resource. I would imagine it's a pretty dicey crap shoot out West. Mixed metaphors intended.
    How about you, are you up for another scope to the head this year? What season is Bud looking at?

I'm up to it, but I've been informed that we're taking a family vacation this year, to someplace warm and sandy. Besides that, my boss is still miffed about the last one.
    Bud is going 2nd season.
    Lets be clear, when I mentioned gooberment idiots answering phones, that was county people dealing with open space lands. The DOW is always a pleasure to deal with, from rangers checking my tags, to biologists giving me fishing hot spots, and every person that answers the phone. But, CDOW is self sustaining, they don't take tax money. Probably why they're the only functional part of CO's gov system lol.

54 in 2nd again huh? Hmm.....Is he thinking of grabbing one of those spots near the road after we go over death-grip-pass and get to the start of West Elk?
    It's not that bad it just seems that way when you're used to the way it is for us. and we actually have some pretty sweet spots and hunts that you have to apply for a permit.
    Snake: Actually when I used to go out there every year the people that answered the phone were pretty knowledgeable and very helpful. They had a little field office in Craig IIRC and that staff definitely knew their stuff and were super helpful, professional, and courteous.

I know I've complained about the issue before but if you think about it they manage a very diverse wildlife resource scattered over very diverse habitat. And then there's the weather, or better said, the Winter. I'm sure the rules they make, make perfect sense to them.
    The way I've always looked at hunting regs is that wild life biologists make decisions based on What's best for the herd and sustaining the resource. I would imagine it's a pretty dicey crap shoot out West. Mixed metaphors intended.

RB you hit the nail on the head. There really isn't a simple way of dealing with over half a dozen big game species that live in over half a dozen different types of habitats that do their animal things at different times of the year.
    I'm up to it, but I've been informed that we're taking a family vacation this year, to someplace warm and sandy. Besides that, my boss is still miffed about the last one.
    Bud is going 2nd season.

I need to talk to my insurance guy and my accountant about the new regs with Obama Care, as well as wait to see what happens on the next fiscal cliff before I can even think about making plans, Nice Huh!
    I need to talk to my insurance guy and my accountant about the new regs with Obama Care, as well as wait to see what happens on the next fiscal cliff before I can even think about making plans, Nice Huh!
    That's terrible.

54 in 2nd again huh? Hmm.....Is he thinking of grabbing one of those spots near the road after we go over death-grip-pass and get to the start of West Elk?
    He is talking about packing in up that jeep trail you hiked up, back to that valley you talked about. Otherwise . he likes crazy lady mountain.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    A week later and I still haven't seen mine yet! Been getting ansty here! Need to plan my yearly Va-ca! Whatcha need new kit for anyway!? You have all the kit already, you have the know-how.....you hitting the gym? Gimme a call and I'll work out with you, we can drive each other....come on come on come on.....it'll be fun! :tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Tell you what, Buffy. Just tell me what you want to apply for, when, etc., and I'll do the application for you. And, to make matters even easier for you, just give me your credit card number, cash, check or other form of payment and I'll even apply for you. Of course, there will be a small but nominal fee that I will charge for this service.

Hope this helps.

I trust you.
    He is talking about packing in up that jeep trail you hiked up, back to that valley you talked about. Otherwise . he likes crazy lady mountain.

The jeep trail that was on the back side of elk heaven I hiked the very last day?
    The jeep trail that was on the back side of elk heaven I hiked the very last day?

Yep. Horses. Way back
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo just gave me hand navigating the wickets for the CO regs and I'm officially put in for an antegoat preference point. Obviously, I won't be going this year, but some time down the road that will change.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    May as well start putting in for elk and deer points then too
    Yep. Horses. Way back

Got pretty rocky for a ways, horses ok on that? Man I'd love to pack it up to those big chimney rocks in West Elk someday. Heck of a ways back there though
    May as well start putting in for elk and deer points then too

I would, but the state wants to hold a small bank vault worth of money for each critter you point up on. Then again, it's going on the credit card anyway since it's a temporary charge...hmmm...
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    JerryBobCo just gave me hand navigating the wickets for the CO regs and I'm officially put in for an antegoat preference point. Obviously, I won't be going this year, but some time down the road that will change.

One thing I wasn't aware of until yesterday is that you must have a hunter safety card even if all you wish to do is apply for a preference point. This only applies to those born on or after Jan. 1, 1949. If you have questions about this, you can call the main DOW office at 303-297-1192. You can also take an online course by going to the following web page.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/colorado/?gclid=CN2-t8-vxbUCFQXnnAodfTsAVw

For you really old farts, there's no need. :)
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    One thing I wasn't aware of until yesterday is that you must have a hunter safety card even if all you wish to do is apply for a preference point. This only applies to those born on or after Jan. 1, 1949. If you have questions about this, you can call the main DOW office at 303-297-1192. You can also take an online course by going to the following web page.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/colorado/?gclid=CN2-t8-vxbUCFQXnnAodfTsAVw

For you really old farts, there's no need. :)

Yup. That is one of the required blocks that I hit enroute to closing out the application. There's a pulldown for ever state, so presumably, any state's prgram will do. It does, however, ask you to specify if the safety card is for bow, rifle or something else I can't recall.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I don't ever recall the HSC (Hunter's Safety Card) being specific like that....Hunter's Safety is Hunter's Safety. Like Jerry said, anyone born after said date needs to have one, for a license or preference point (Colorado is assuming that if you put in for a pref-point, you are legal to hold a license....hence you need to to be bona-fide......"with prospects!") :tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    I don't ever recall the HSC (Hunter's Safety Card) being specific like that....Hunter's Safety is Hunter's Safety. Like Jerry said, anyone born after said date needs to have one, for a license or preference point (Colorado is assuming that if you put in for a pref-point, you are legal to hold a license....hence you need to to be bona-fide......"with prospects!") :tooth:

I had to take my states course in '91 before I went out there. I think our rule here is if born after '84.
    Anyway it was geared towards kids, But it was still interesting and it got me legal for CO.

Edit: right, there was no specificity regarding method of harvest.