Favorite caliber for self defense?

What is your favorite self defense caliber?

Pick a favorite caliber for personal defense 84 votes

.380 Auto
1%
ghostsniper1 1 vote
.38 Special
0%
9mm Luger
21%
EliHappySquidjbp-ohioshotgunshooter3john.41SlmFishnTimbruchiglockman0422scarfaceVarmintmist22x9Virginia BoyLonewolf-PeruJeff1965kybandit1mannation7wby 18 votes
9mm Makarov
2%
BigDanSwddodge 2 votes
10mm
4%
bullsi1911justin10mmjoseph06104RFAST 4 votes
40 S&W
10%
[Deleted User]BPsniperknitepoetwolf049BigboreshootercaryDoctorWhoMerlinMedicine Hat 9 votes
45 ACP
50%
Dan C Johnson[Deleted User]NCFUBARSirGeorgeKillianblkbird305SlanteyedshootistBig Al145ertennmikeDiver43LMLarsenJKPbisleysamzheredrsfefaairheadavmechsnake284bobbyrlf3Buford 42 votes
.327 Federal
2%
NNcpj 2 votes
.357 Mag
7%
ericbdldBig ChiefpardogDes52gator 6 votes
.32 ACP
0%
To make a long post short here, ...

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    40 S&W
    Must be a man around here somewhere, eh?
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    I notice you cant remove your vote to change it on this system. No biggy, just noticed.
    Definately looks better.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    It has to be the .45ACP ... I'm to old and stubburn to change to the new fangle ones.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    45 ACP. Big and slow is the way to go.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    9mm Makarov
    I had to vote for the 9x18 just cause that is what I carry. But I'd bet somebody a cold one the 45 acp wins by a long shot.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    40 S&W
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Ok who voted .40 S&W....:cool:
    Well, I was one of the three. The reason, if you can call it a reason, is that my new FNP is a .40S&W and I really like it.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,891 Senior Member
    .327 Federal
    Probably can't guess which way I voted.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    40 S&W
    Ummm, NN? It's a "Public Poll" so all anyone has to do is click on the number of votes by any choice to see who voted for what.:p
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    9mm Makarov
    Ummm, NN? It's a "Public Poll" so all anyone has to do is click on the number of votes by any choice to see who voted for what.:p

That's another cool little feature this forum has. I like it.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    .357 Mag
    I like the 9mm and 45 but carry the .357 the most. Both in the woods and in the truck.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    45ACP.........................cause shooting twice is just silly!!!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    40 S&W
    Avmech,

Seriously? Or are you just joking?
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    40 S&W
    I like that feature!:beer:
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Avmech,

Seriously? Or are you just joking?

Serious on the 45, joking about the other of course
    NRA Benefactor Member
    40 S&W
    avmech wrote: »
    Serious on the 45, joking about the other of course

:up:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    Mmm, lemme see... starts with a 4, ends with a 5. Yeah, .45acp, nuff said. Plenty of other good calibers out there but it's the centennial year of the 1911, after all.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    The .45acp. When you absolutely, positively, must stop all threats - accept no substitutes.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    This said favorite Self Defense cartridge, not carry. So I voted 45 ACP with a .357-9mm either one being a close second or third. I also like the 40 S&W. However for a carry weapon, I like the 9mm or even a 380 because they both fit in a smaller more concealable package. I walk at night. I walk across the hiway to a mall parking lot that is very big and I walk along all the store fronts. Then I walk down another hiway that crosses the first one which is ajacent to the mall and then I walk over to the High School down Sand Crab Blvd. and then I retrace my steps back to the hiway and cross it and walk back around by Whataburger across the hiway from the mall and drink coffee. Then I head up the hiway in the opposite direction on down to the first crossover which is about a quarter mile and back and then back to the original mall parking lot and home. It's about a 50 minute walk for me not counting 20 minutes for coffee stop and I go into some dark places. So I carry my dad's old 32 ACP (7.65 MM) German Mauser Officer's pistol. It's small and light and doesn't weight me down walking and is very concealable. I think we all make too much out of larger calibers for carry weapons. The thing with any gun, it all boils down to shot placement and practice. If i can pop an offensive bad guy in the knee, I think he won't be too enthusiasctic about attacking me. And a well placed shot to the right part of the head will kill with even a little 22 LR. So I feel comfortable with the little gun. Normally I carry my S&W Mod. 469 9MM. But it's just too bulky for walking any real distance and trying to keep it concealed.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    40 S&W
    Ok who voted .40 S&W....:cool:

I did. If I had to reach for ONE gun, it would be my HK P2000 40 cal.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    I like shooting .45ACP, and trust the power of it better than about anything, for self defense. Still, I occasionally carry .380, 9mm, .38 Special, and lately even a .40 S&W.

It only took a couple of weeks away from the guiding hand of Bigslug to weaken me sufficiently to swap for a .40. I didn't want one, but a guy wanted to swap me a like new K-40 Kahr for an XD, which I had two of. I shot it and liked it, and it was worth more than the XD, so I did it.
    .327 Federal
    So what fun is that, besides who else would have made that choice anyway. You set me up. :tissue:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    What is your favorite self defense caliber?

Well I sure would like to have my 45 but my favorite caliber is going to be the one I have with me. Which could be 45, 9mm, 380.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,830 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    45 ACP. Big and slow is the way to go.

Yep! Go big or go home...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    Well I was just gonna pick .22 and preach shot placement....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,942 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    .45 ACP big and low pressure - wears out bad guys, not guns.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    At different times in my life, I have relied on all the choices listed, except for the 327 and the 9x18 Mak.
    Only reason why I voted 40 is because that's currently what I'm carrying most of the time.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    My 45 ACP with out question
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    .357 Mag
    What, no .44 caliber choices?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    .327 Federal
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What, no .44 caliber choices?
    Depends----I've carried my Redhawk loaded with .44 spl silver tips.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    9mm Makarov
    Makarov.... :) What else...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: