Favorite caliber for self defense?

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    .327 Federal
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Makarov.... :) What else...

D
    Eye would have never guessed :beer:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    I tried to vote for .45 acp and ended up with .40 S&W for some odd reason........... :roll:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    45 ACP
    I'm a firm believer in the .45 (not because I think it is inherently superior to other rounds but there's no doubt it is a highly effective round - that's good enough for me). I also want something that works for carry and home defense. I don't like the notion of downsizing caliber and going to another platform when I leave the house. If a .380 isn't adequate for nightstand duty, it's not good enough for self defense on the street.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    .45 ACP is what I rely on and carry 99% of the time. I've also used .357, .38, and 9mm. Any will do, and you can conceal any of them most of the time if you just think it through. I can carry my 1911 in shorts and T-shirt in Florida summer weather and not worry about printing, and carry a full-sized platform that is useable and functional.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    You offer the choice of a 9mm Makarov, but not a .44 spl?? What kind of commie are you? :-P

.44 spl is my favorite, but the .45 auto is really really close.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    45 ACP
    I tend to carry a .40 quite a bit of the time. I absolutely love my .45, but I carry as my dress dictates and use options accordingly.
  • randymacrandymac New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    45 ACP
    But I guess that would depend on what I was defending against Griz or some scum bag.
    500 S&W, 12 Ga. For Bear, But I think I will go with 45 ACP for Scum Bag
  • HKChrisHKChris New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    45 ACP
    My vote was .45ACP. Would like to have seen .357 sig though. I wouldn't feel underpowered with either.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    10mm
    Ok, why is the 10mm in a different font and not say "10mm Auto"? I feel this poll is discriminating. :banned: :roll2::roll2:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    Its in a different font cause its the 1 you voted for ... and atleast it dont say .40S&W LONG
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    10mm
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    and atleast it dont say .40S&W LONG

Well there is that. I'm :chill:
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    Since there 7.62 Nato isnt a choice I voted .45ACP.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    40 S&W
    I tried to vote .45 acp, and failed with a vote for .40 S&W
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • irondukeironduke Member Posts: 143 Member
    45 ACP
    I chose the 45 ACP, but only because there isn't a 46, 47, 48 etc.

My dream gun would be the size of my XD sub-Compact but chambered in the 50 GI. If big and slow is the way to go, then big-GER and slow must be better!

My new XD is a 9mm, but I only carry it when my XD45 is too large.
    45 ACP
    ironduke wrote: »
    I chose the 45 ACP, but only because there isn't a 46, 47, 48 etc.

My dream gun would be the size of my XD sub-Compact but chambered in the 50 GI. If big and slow is the way to go, then big-GER and slow must be better!

My new XD is a 9mm, but I only carry it when my XD45 is too large.

Here ya go ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    9mm Luger
    My personal preference would be 3 big guys with MP5's for personal defense.

However, I voted 9mm because I have been carrying one. I would prefer 45acp or 357, but the 9mm that I have is a easy carry pistol.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    My personal preference would be 3 big guys with MP5's for personal defense.
    While that sounds like an EXCELLENT plan IMO, how the heck do I carry them?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

40 S&W
    knitepoet wrote: »
    While that sounds like an EXCELLENT plan IMO, how the heck do I carry them?

You don't, they carry you !!!!!!
  • HKChrisHKChris New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    45 ACP
    I feel out of place. I prefer three hot Israeli female bodyguards trained in Krav Maga and carrying MP5K's. I'm not sure how the wife feels about that plan though. Until then I will carry 9MM, .45, or .357 sig or .380 depending on the circumstances, the season, and my attire.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    I voted yesterday, but didn't comment. 45ACP was my choice.

I've always preferred .45ACP to 9mm. I don't think it is a lethality issue, just a personal preference since I have never had to actually find out how lethal .45ACP is on a human target. For me, .380 has never really been an option. I just don't care for it as a primary weapon caliber choice (if you are CCW, that is your primary weapon unless you have an AR tucked in your britches). I'd consider it for a back-up weapon if you have a struggle that went to the ground and you are making contact shots with it.

And as I said, I don't feel my choice is something of a one-upping the lethality figures. 9mm has been used by LEO and militaries around the world for a long time and since war and street shootouts are never short of fatality, you have to assume 9mm has done its part when it is utilized.

.40SW is really far down on my list. I've owned pistols in .40SW and it is accurate and creates a nice compromise between magazine capacity and ballistic performance. But for me, .45ACP lends to my shooting style and I get more rounds on target faster with .45ACP. For me--and this is completely subjective to the shooter--I clear weapon malfunctions in .45ACP weapons quicker than in 9mm or .40SW pistols.

10mm is fun and if I had a compensated Glock 20C, I would not be opposed to it as a duty weapon. The 20C really tames the snap of 10mm.

I'm no shooting ace, so all of the above is personal opinion. No scripture here, admittedly so.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    .357 Mag
    NN wrote: »
    Probably can't guess which way I voted.

cpj joined you in selecting the .327, he must have forgot his reading glasses and hit the wrong selection thunking he clicked on the King, the .357 Remington Magnum!:worthy::applause::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    For me, .380 has never really been an option. I just don't care for it as a primary weapon caliber choice (if you are CCW, that is your primary weapon unless you have an AR tucked in your britches).
    -Jason

I think I love you. We're gonna get along swimmingly.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,139 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I think I love you. We're gonna get along swimmingly.

:love: And it's only the first date.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    40 S&W
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    :love: And it's only the first date.

Hey, I ain't cheap but I can be had.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    .357 Mag
    My second choice is a 1911 if I can't have a .357 Remington Magnum in hand for when:fan::guns::usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    45 ACP
    9mm's may expand but .45's never shrink ... :guns:
    - George Orwell
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    9mm Luger
    I voted 9mm. If the right gun comes along it may get replaced by the .357 or .45 ACP.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    Voted .45ACP but am carrying a S&W Model 19-3 until I get new sights on the 1911. If I could carry it, my choice would be a Rem. 870 with extended magazine and loaded with slugs. But can't seem to figure out how to CCW something like that. Be walking like Chester on Gunsmoke and saying, "Pardon me while I whip this thing out" ala Blazing Saddles. Until open carry doesn't cause stampedes of the sheep and cattle, I'm stuck with CCWing what is concealable even though TN doesn't require a permit holder to carry concealed.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• MerlinMerlin New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    40 S&W
    I'm going with my Glock 23 in .40.

"A Kimber is what you show your friends.....A Glock is what you show your enemies"
    “Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step, will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge”.
    Author Unknown
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,188 Senior Member
    45 ACP
    What is your favorite self defense caliber?
    Just wanted to point out: I'd have thought that someone in the gunwriting business would know the difference between "caliber" and "chambering" or "cartridge."
    Overkill is underrated.