Home Main Category Hunting

Big Storm Blowing In.....Coyotes are on the move....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorManistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,281 Senior Member
Noisy too....there is yapping and yodeling going on all around the house tonight....We hear coyotes every night, but with the front moving in it's like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir of coyotes around here...next day or two will be a great time to get out and take a run at them...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    You do know how to make them stop moving, right?

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,281 Senior Member
    :wink:
    You're lucky. I wish I knew how to coyote hunt. I've been a couple times, and obviously I suck at it. I never see a yote when I'm looking for them, but if I'm after something else, I must smell like a rabbit. See them all the time when taking a shot at one would ruin my chances at what I'm really after.

That's a shame, too. Scooter (big time yote hunter) showed me a couple of his yote places before he passed. Not far from his house. And I've seen some honkin' huge coyotes up there. The one's I'd occasionally see in Louisiana were mostly skinny things that looked like they were living on a diet of crack. The ones up by Mikes house, however, are a different critter entirely. The first one I encountered up there while elk hunting in the dead of winter was so big that if I hadn't known better, I'd have sworn was a wolf. Big, fluffy, and actually pretty. Not at all like the southern skank dogs I'd grown up around.

One of these days, when I get time, I need to figure out the coyote game.

I've got the perfect rifle for it according to Elmer Keith.

Mike
    N454casull
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member WC MinnesotaPosts: 269 Member
    Linefinder, don't give up, you will find what works than it will not be so bad. It took a while for us and some money on equipment and decoys, but things are better these days, Yes we do get skunked but we get a few also. We are still in a blizzard here but we are going to hit some nite hunting with the full moon coming in now for the next week .
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 520 Senior Member
    How did that run at the yotes go last week? Might have a bit of a repeat, weather-wise, from what I see in the next couple of days.

I get a few on the cam, but I also fall into the not-much-luck category when it comes to calling them. I keep trying though.
    Saw several, killed one, cousin got a pair...
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Saw several, killed one, cousin got a pair...

A Moderator should know to post pictures,list guns and loads used and give a full report.
    It is in your handbook section nine
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jayhawker -

If I make it out to Kansas some time for upland birds, am I allowed to bring some hand calls and a small-bore centerfie, too? I would love to help you thin out some yodel dogs.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    You're lucky. I wish I knew how to coyote hunt. I've been a couple times, and obviously I suck at it. I never see a yote when I'm looking for them, but if I'm after something else, I must smell like a rabbit. See them all the time when taking a shot at one would ruin my chances at what I'm really after.

That's a shame, too. Scooter (big time yote hunter) showed me a couple of his yote places before he passed. Not far from his house. And I've seen some honkin' huge coyotes up there. The one's I'd occasionally see in Louisiana were mostly skinny things that looked like they were living on a diet of crack. The ones up by Mikes house, however, are a different critter entirely. The first one I encountered up there while elk hunting in the dead of winter was so big that if I hadn't known better, I'd have sworn was a wolf. Big, fluffy, and actually pretty. Not at all like the southern skank dogs I'd grown up around.

One of these days, when I get time, I need to figure out the coyote game.

I've got the perfect rifle for it according to Elmer Keith.

Mike

Mike -

I don't know if you remember, but one time when we went prairie dog hunting (wanna say it was you, me and rapier), I brought out a homemade electronic caller that I fashioned out of some cheap, Radio Shack components out to Cody's place. It actually worked surprisingly well and when we fired up a greeting howl first thing i nthe morning, it sounded like every coyote in the county replied with a howl of their own. Maybe it's time to switch it up one of these days get to coyote hunting while we wait for the pdogs to recover. I have since begun using hand calls at work and getting numerous coyotes to come in.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Well if I wasn't so lazy this time a year I could go kill a bunch. But since I don't eat em (And don't tell me how good they are) I can't seem to make them a priority. But they really are because I know they screw up the deer hunting a bit. About 100 of em need to die.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Mike I have called in 3 up where I elk hunt just for fun and you're right, big ol things! I don't remember if it was Scott or Joe who commented when we ran across some tracks about how big they were here in CO. Even out on the front range they're not as good looking at the mountain critters.

I need to work on a new rig to get after chasing them.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    I went Friday night- no joy, it was only 4 degrees out and the coyotes were smart enough to stay warm while I was not. Beautiful night though, no wind to speak of yet a wind mill a quarter mile away from me in one pasture was turning slowly and the cold dense air made it seem right behind me . I got some yips in reply to the call; locator and long howl but they were a ways off. Waited for the crunching sound in the snow of one approaching but never came about. New snow coming tonight 4-8 in so will have another shot at them.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Jayhawker -

If I make it out to Kansas some time for upland birds, am I allowed to bring some hand calls and a small-bore centerfie, too? I would love to help you thin out some yodel dogs.

Heavens yes....no silly restrictions here....bring an AR, no magazine limits either...
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Knockem down Jayhawker, it is a great pass time to occupy our time until next fall. I need to get back to hunting them. It has been 2 years since I did.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Jayhawker -

Mike -

I don't know if you remember, but one time when we went prairie dog hunting (wanna say it was you, me and rapier), I brought out a homemade electronic caller that I fashioned out of some cheap, Radio Shack components out to Cody's place. It actually worked surprisingly well and when we fired up a greeting howl first thing i nthe morning, it sounded like every coyote in the county replied with a howl of their own. Maybe it's time to switch it up one of these days get to coyote hunting while we wait for the pdogs to recover. I have since begun using hand calls at work and getting numerous coyotes to come in.

Oh, I remember it well! I couldn't believe that there could be so many coyotes at one time on a pancake flat piece of ground without a shrub in sight, and you still couldn't see them.

Reminds of of a dog shoot I was on in the southern part of the state. I'd killed probably close to 400 one day, and was sitting at my bench in the wide open. Not a blade of grass over ankle high for several thousand acres, nor a tree clear to the horizon. How in the heck that coyote got within 300 yards of me, snatched a dead pdog, and was blue-smokin' it outta Dodge, I'll never know. But he did. Crossed a mile of wide open ground, and I didn't see him until he wanted me to.

Mike
    N454casull
    Our terrain here on the edge of the Flint Hills is rolling terrain with lots of hills and creek bottoms...and yes...trees. Plenty of opportunities for longish shots, but I've had them come in on a hedgerow as they tried to downwind me and pop out of the grass mere feet from away....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Oh, I remember it well! I couldn't believe that there could be so many coyotes at one time on a pancake flat piece of ground without a shrub in sight, and you still couldn't see them.

Reminds of of a dog shoot I was on in the southern part of the state. I'd killed probably close to 400 one day, and was sitting at my bench in the wide open. Not a blade of grass over ankle high for several thousand acres, nor a tree clear to the horizon. How in the heck that coyote got within 300 yards of me, snatched a dead pdog, and was blue-smokin' it outta Dodge, I'll never know. But he did. Crossed a mile of wide open ground, and I didn't see him until he wanted me to.

Mike

What you said in the top paragraph is indicative of every coyote I've ever called in. You scan and scan seemingly coverless ground and see nothing. Then suddenly, the shadow of a dog (or three...or five) comes strutting or streaking into view out of nowhere. I was talking to JerryBobCo about maybe sneaking in a coyote hunt while I'm out your way around mid-April. Maybe we can turn one of those lesser pdog towns into a yodel dog trap.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Scott, have you been up by the Waconda Resivour? My cousins up that way say they are thicker than fleas on a dog butt. Folks up that way been losing a lot of livestock lately.Sheep and lambs, goats, chickens, even a few foals. The only thing that makes me nervous coming down this summer, is driving through Ill. I plan on taking 70 this summer, down
    69 to Indy, hang a West, and let the auto pilot take me all the way to Salina. Maybe late June, early July.
    tjsvet50 wrote: »
    Scott, have you been up by the Waconda Resivour? My cousins up that way say they are thicker than fleas on a dog butt. Folks up that way been losing a lot of livestock lately.Sheep and lambs, goats, chickens, even a few foals. The only thing that makes me nervous coming down this summer, is driving through Ill. I plan on taking 70 this summer, down
    69 to Indy, hang a West, and let the auto pilot take me all the way to Salina. Maybe late June, early July.

Nope...haven't been there....might be worth looking into.
    I used that route a lot over the years, little longer but avoids the worst of the trouble spots. For the most part, Illinois is OK...but I avoid Chicago and it's environs at all costs. I'll be back up in MI in July for another wedding, hope we don't pass each other on the way...