Home Main Category Personal Defense

Duty weapon vs personal- what are they and which do you prefer?

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
Just asking out of curiousity. Those of you who are LEO's, military, other Govt. agency, security, etc.- current or former. What is your issued weapon and what is your own personal, off duty weapon? Which do you like better and why? Doesn't have to just be handguns, rifles and shotguns as well if you care to weigh in on them.

Replies

• shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    It occured to me after posting this that if the two are different... you probably prefer your personal weapon. Otherwise, wouldn't it be the same as your duty weapon? Anyway, still curious as to what they are and why you chose what you did.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    M9 (Beretta M92FS), which I'm not a huge fan of.

My personal carry weapon right now is a Glock 19, which I like well enough. I am probably going to replace it with a 4" 1911 once I have the funds.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't get a duty weapon, but my personal gun is fer fun:guns::jester:

I imagine it makes sense to carry the same caliber you are familiar with, but a smaller model for off duty and get good with both with practice and more practice.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Most LEO I know will choose to carry a similar caliber as their duty weapon. Not just because they are familiar with it, but because they get more free ammo for it than they have time to shoot. Which makes it nice being buddy buddy with them, because I have said time to shoot :tooth:

No duty weapon here, but I carry a G27 with me every where I go. I don't imagine that they would issue that as a duty weapon unless you were plain clothes. But I know plenty of guys that are issued a 23 and carry a 27 off duty.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Our agency only approves the Glock 22 for a primary sidearm and the 27 for backup carry on duty. I personally only own a Glock 22. Per regulations it must have the stock (5 lb?... it's either 5 or 5.5 lb, can't remember at the moment) trigger.

My primary personal carry is one of the following (in approximate descending order of actual carry time).

Kimber SS UltraCarry (.45 auto, 3" barrel)
    S&W 29 4" Blued (.44 mag., loaded with .44 spl.)
    Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
    Glock 17 (9mm) w/3.5lb disconnect.

What I *want* (and will eventually get) is a Les Baer with a 4.25" barrel length. The Kimber will do for now. I prefer the .45 auto (or .44 spl.) over the .40 since I have no issues with the difference in recoil, and trust the penetration of a 230-240 grain slug more than a 180 grain slug. I shoot them all about equally well.

Luis

<edited to add> ps. Shotguns... Agency issue is a Remington 870 pump when someone has an assignment that requires one. I personally prefer a semi-auto, and own a Remington 1100 Special Field with a 21" barrel, but rarely have it loaded for self-defense since I'm usually carrying a pistol or revolver. When I do, I load up with 00 Buckshot.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    , - current or former.
    Well, I guess I can play then.
    It was a S&W .38 spl revolver---model---- revolver, .38, one each
    Now I perfer a 625 in .45acp----plus I can use it for a club if nec.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    You mean aside from my usual mantra of "There are two types of handgun - 1911 and 'other'"?

After years of personal and professional involvement with guns of all flavors, I've pretty much concluded that a handgun (ANY handgun) is less than I want to be fighting with. That being the case, so long as it fires an acceptable round (9mm and up), works, shoots generally where I point it, and isn't one of my very few "NO-WAY-IN HELL" guns, I'll teach myself how to run it and not give the matter much more thought.

An issued weapon is a lot like a rental car. Q: Do you know what the difference between a rented sedan and a four-wheel drive Jeep is? A: None at all. While the comparison is not totally exact (you do have to maintain and change the oil on your duty gun), there is a lot to be said for a gun that you have ZERO qualms about subjecting to the knocks and dings of daily carry or combat. Imagine a group of 20 Marines - ten carrying Government issued rifles into combat, and ten carrying their own grandfather's pre-1964 Winchester Model 70's. Which ten Marines are most likely to take cover from an artillery barrage fast enough to survive? To be less extreme about it, would your rather have your personal $2500 Les Baer tied up in evidence for years after a shooting, or the department's $400 Glock? Such is the beauty of issued gear.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Well I started with a revolver as a duty sidearm, and at one point, the S&W M-10 was the official duty sidearm, and most folks carried a S&W M-36 off duty, then I realized it was just as easy to carry a S&W M-10 off duty as on, I preferred to carry the same sidearm on and off duty in order to have the greatest amount of practice.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    Glock 17 at work

Kimber Custom II or Glock 19 when not at work
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    AFAIK , Carrying a personal firearm is strictly forbidden in the military while in uniform or combat unless yer wearing stars. Doesn't mean it don't happen now. Back when I had my shop , I sold scores 9mm pistols to many reserve officers , mostly pilots from the local base , who were going to Desert Shield/Desert Storm I. I packed my AMT Back-Up in my flight gear (LPA) to several countrys and usually carried it while out and about. I know these things were often overlooked back in 'Nam and before. Probably a court-martial offense today.

IIRC , deployment , travel and TAD orders had a section with box that needed to be checked and signed by your CO if the carrying of weapons was authorized.
    mkk41 wrote: »
    AFAIK , Carrying a personal firearm is strictly forbidden in the military while in uniform or combat unless yer wearing stars. Doesn't mean it don't happen now. Back when I had my shop , I sold scores 9mm pistols to many reserve officers , mostly pilots from the local base , who were going to Desert Shield/Desert Storm I. I packed my AMT Back-Up in my flight gear (LPA) to several countrys and usually carried it while out and about. I know these things were often overlooked back in 'Nam and before. Probably a court-martial offense today.

IIRC , deployment , travel and TAD orders had a section with box that needed to be checked and signed by your CO if the carrying of weapons was authorized.
    Yep, the rules were different for sure, a good friend carried a .357 in 'nam. He must have brought the ammo with the revolver. I don't know if he got it back home since they inspected everything shipped; though he could have carried it in his carry on bag.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Yep, the rules were different for sure, a good friend carried a .357 in 'nam. He must have brought the ammo with the revolver. I don't know if he got it back home since they inspected everything shipped; though he could have carried it in his carry on bag.

When the then-new stainless steel S&W Model 60 came out , many , if not most got sent to guys in SE Asia.

As an aircrewman , when we came back stateside , we always had to go thru customs. Sometimes the inspectors would go thru personal luggage , sometimes even search the aircraft. They NEVER touched our personal flight or survival gear. That's were I always stashed my Back-Up.
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    Im still in the academy but around here we get Glock 22's. But for off duty i would preffer the Glock 23 since its easier to conceal but still uses the same ammo and still has decent firepower. The G27 has never felt good to me. As far as Shotguns they issue Remington 870 but a buddy of mine who is already a LEO uses his own Remington 870 tactical express while on duty. I own the exact gun so i would also use that if they let me. Im not sure what AR are being issued but i think they are RRA. I will try to qualify with as many guns i possibly can.
  • tommythegreektommythegreek New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I've been in the military for about 11 years and since I am a flightline mechanic I've only ever shot an M-16 (once every two years). About a month ago I bought a model 85 Taurus revolver and have had a blast shooting it (going to the range tomorrow since the wife will be out of town). The revolver will also be my personal carry weapon as well. The range I am going to also rents guns, so I am going to try out the S&W Bodyguard .38 just to see how it feels to shoot a lighter, hammerless revolver of the same caliber. If I like it, then I will probably pick one up as well.
    Funny, now that I remember, at a staging are near ground zero at the WTC on 9/11/01, there was this M.I. Major, and he had a personal Sig 9mm on a belt holster, after a few funny looks he concealed it.
    He told Me he did not want any hassles / reports etc....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Bigslug wrote: »
    You mean aside from my usual mantra of "There are two types of handgun - 1911 and 'other'"?

After years of personal and professional involvement with guns of all flavors, I've pretty much concluded that a handgun (ANY handgun) is less than I want to be fighting with. That being the case, so long as it fires an acceptable round (9mm and up), works, shoots generally where I point it, and isn't one of my very few "NO-WAY-IN HELL" guns, I'll teach myself how to run it and not give the matter much more thought.

An issued weapon is a lot like a rental car. Q: Do you know what the difference between a rented sedan and a four-wheel drive Jeep is? A: None at all. While the comparison is not totally exact (you do have to maintain and change the oil on your duty gun), there is a lot to be said for a gun that you have ZERO qualms about subjecting to the knocks and dings of daily carry or combat. Imagine a group of 20 Marines - ten carrying Government issued rifles into combat, and ten carrying their own grandfather's pre-1964 Winchester Model 70's. Which ten Marines are most likely to take cover from an artillery barrage fast enough to survive? To be less extreme about it, would your rather have your personal $2500 Les Baer tied up in evidence for years after a shooting, or the department's $400 Glock? Such is the beauty of issued gear.

Bigslug, I love ya man, and usually agree with ya, but you'll *have* to use some different comparisons before I'll agree with you on this.

1) Difference between a rented sedan and four-wheel-drive Jeep is NIGHT AND DAY. One will get you where you're going only if the roads are good. The other will get you ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, almost regardless of what obstacles are in the way. I'll take the Jeep 100% of the time.
    2) I agree with you about the lack of qualms regarding subjecting it to daily wear.
    3) A much better comparison would be between 20 Marines using a bone stock AR-15, and 20 Marines carrying tricked out Les Baers. Although 99% of the time the outcome won't be any different, I'll put my money on the ones with the tricked out Les Baers for that 1% where the weapon and/or confidence in it makes the difference. Even if you have absolute confidence in both, I'll take something that is my own PERSONAL choice over something that I'm forced to accept as the compromise between the Agency's legal department, budget, and bean counter's preference. All too often that happens to be a Glock with the NY trigger, or something equally stupid.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    The so called N.Y. trigger was devised to compromise between the heavier trigger of a standard revolver and the standard lighter trigger of the Glock, I did not think it such a bad idea at the time of the transition.
    Most of Us at the time did not notice a downside to it.

There are better examples of stupid additions.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    AFAIK , Carrying a personal firearm is strictly forbidden in the military while in uniform or combat unless yer wearing stars.

Supposedly there is some UCMJ bylaw that states that Officers have the "right" to be armed at all times. I've done somewhat extensive research myself and can't find anything indicating as such. From what I've read, and from what my previously deployed Soldiers have told me, personal weapons are a no go. You do hear about it sometimes though, someone bringing in an AR upper, etc...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    When the then-new stainless steel S&W Model 60 came out , many , if not most got sent to guys in SE Asia.

As an aircrewman , when we came back stateside , we always had to go thru customs. Sometimes the inspectors would go thru personal luggage , sometimes even search the aircraft. They NEVER touched our personal flight or survival gear. That's were I always stashed my Back-Up.
    Yeah, back in the day; some of the customs people were our friends. Probably ex Naval Establishment personnel.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I work with Jeeper....the Glock 22 is our duty weapon. I have no problems with it. It is a workhorse of a gun. I am just not as happy with the .40 cal, although it could be worse. For personal carry I like my Les Baer stinger in 45 acp.....in revolver I have really grown to love the .44 spl round and have several specimins to choose from...my 4" Thunder Ranch which sits by my bed.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Bigslug, I love ya man, and usually agree with ya, but you'll *have* to use some different comparisons before I'll agree with you on this.

1) Difference between a rented sedan and four-wheel-drive Jeep is NIGHT AND DAY. One will get you where you're going only if the roads are good. The other will get you ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, almost regardless of what obstacles are in the way. I'll take the Jeep 100% of the time.

Luis, you really missed my point on that one. Perhaps I should have said that a rental car is the same as a PERSONALLY-OWNED Jeep; the Jeep you have no qualms taking off road because it CAN, and the rental you have no qualms taking off road because it isn't yours. At any rate, it's a moot point - I drive a Land Cruiser - wouldn't be caught dead on one of those Detroit heaps, rented or not.:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    :up: LOL I knew what you meant. :-P I was just taking exception to comparing a rental sedan and a Jeep. It's all good though. I'll still throw ya a tow rope to pull ya out after you get that 'Yota stuck. :tooth:

Luis
    Hondo wrote: »
    I work with Jeeper....the Glock 22 is our duty weapon. I have no problems with it. It is a workhorse of a gun. I am just not as happy with the .40 cal, although it could be worse. For personal carry I like my Les Baer stinger in 45 acp.....in revolver I have really grown to love the .44 spl round and have several specimens to choose from...my 4" Thunder Ranch which sits by my bed.

Did I ever tell you that YOU SUCK. :tooth: :jester:

Totally agree with ya about .44/.45 being preferred calibers though.

Luis
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member
    Now that I am a desk **** pretty much all the time I am issued a Glock 27. I still have an issued H&K USP .45 for the rare occasions I wear a uniform. My off duty carry gun is a S&W J frame. The Glock is a very reliable handgun and I've never had any problems shooting it. I usually score a point or so higher with it during qualifications than I do the USP. That being said it's not my favorite to shoot because it just doesn't fit my hand well. I would much rather move up to a Glock 23 for my duty weapon but my opinion doesn't carry much weight lol.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Don't be a hater Luis.....lol