Home Main Category Hunting

Today at the local fur auction

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
There was a bit of eveything, but with the price of bobcats starting at $300, everyone targeted the cats this season. Estimated 400 bobcats for sale today.

athol1_zps0aac2003.jpg

athol2_zpsf23808d0.jpg
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    what were some of the other fur bearers going for?
    How many cats did your son wind up with?
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Top prices: Coyotes $75, otter $70, pine marten and mink $35, large beaver $32, raccoons $15, muskrats $13, skunks, $5, and weasels $2.50. There were a few guys selling beaver castor.

The kid only ended up with two female bobcats. $765 for the pair. We had so much snow that the traps were buried most of the season. We had to use a metal detector to dig a couple of them out.

He spent most of the day marketing his fur garments. Passing out business cards and flyers and giving one of the fur buyers a "Harper Fur Company" t-shirt.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear it wasn't a good year for him.Lots of snow sounds like hard trapping weather but I know ziltch about that.
    Does he hunt and call for them too?
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Couple of young guys from a family we are friends with only got two bobcats this year to. I never heard how many beavers, river otters, and muskrats they got. I know we shot a bunch of coyotes thought. I have no idea how much they sold the lot for.

The older of the two boys has been trying his hand at taxidermy and chap making. He made a real nice pair of beaver pelt chaps last summer, for his dad.

It's good to see young men taking interest in this sort of thing. I have always been a hunter but have learned quite a bit with these two about trapping and such.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I took him coyote calling a couple years ago. We called in and I shot a nice coyote. He complained about the amount of damage the 22-250 bullet did to the fur. I guess it is alot when compared to dispatching animals with a 22LR.

Adam J. McCleod

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Yea there defiantly more damage from a .223 or bigger but dang it's fun shooting them.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Top prices: Coyotes $75, otter $70, pine marten and mink $35, large beaver $32, raccoons $15, muskrats $13, skunks, $5, and weasels $2.50. There were a few guys selling beaver castor.

The kid only ended up with two female bobcats. $765 for the pair. We had so much snow that the traps were buried most of the season. We had to use a metal detector to dig a couple of them out.

He spent most of the day marketing his fur garments. Passing out business cards and flyers and giving one of the fur buyers a "Harper Fur Company" t-shirt.

Thought martin were big bucks???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Thought martin were big bucks???

Not this far south. Alaskan and Canadian marten pull top dollar.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    $13 for muskrats is very nice, that is some good $ for the coyotes too.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    $13 for muskrats is very nice, that is some good $ for the coyotes too.

Those are the top prices. Small rats were about $8 and crappy yotes went as low as $25. Bigger is better.

Adam J. McCleod

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Man this is really interesting. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed this thread.:up:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Those are the top prices. Small rats were about $8 and crappy yotes went as low as $25. Bigger is better.

That seems more in line, guys must be putting a big hurt on the coyotes around here before they get the hides off them.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    What you are seeing with these prices are top end for furs traqpped in the prime areas. Down here in the Deep Agricultural South, prices don't enter into the equasion! We have no market for furs at all!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    N454casull wrote: »
    Yea there defiantly more damage from a .223 or bigger but dang it's fun shooting them.

I would try something like a 222 or a Hornet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.