Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Vet. Adm. putting veterans with PTSD and physical injuries denied firearms list

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/03/veterans-gun-rights-defense-bill_n_2230786.html

WASHINGTON -- Should veterans deemed too mentally incompetent to handle their own financial affairs be prevented from buying a gun?

The issue, for a time last week, threatened to become the biggest sticking point in a $631 billion defense bill for reshaping a military that is disengaging from a decade of warfare.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., sought to amend the bill to stop the Veterans Affairs Department from putting the names of veterans deemed too mentally incompetent to handle their finances into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which prohibits them from buying or owning firearms.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., objected, saying the measure would make it easier for veterans with mental illness to own a gun, endangering themselves and others.

"I love our veterans, I vote for them all the time. They defend us," Schumer said. "If you are a veteran or not and you have been judged to be mentally infirm, you should not have a gun."

Currently, the VA appoints fiduciaries, often family members, to manage the pensions and disability benefits of veterans who are declared incompetent. When that happens, the department automatically enters the veteran's name in the Criminal Background Check System.

This from a so called Congress so incompetent that they have spent us over 16 trillion dollars in debt. Who is incompetent to handle financial affairs? :angry:

http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/02/22/obama-threatening-veterans-gun-rights/

The letter states that the Department of Veterans Affairs has “received” information about the veteran that “because of your disabilities you may need help in handling your Department of Affairs (VA) benefits.”

However, it provides no details other that the information was “a report from Portland VA Medical Center.”

“The evidence indicates that you are not able to handle your VA benefit payments because of a physical or mental condition,” the letter warns. “We propose to rate you incompetent for VA purposes. This means we must decide if you are able to handle your VA benefit payments. We will base our decision on all the evidence we already have including any other evidence you sent to us.”

Completion of the incompetency determination means that a “fiduciary” would be appointed to manage the veteran’s payments.

The VA also warns: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammunition. If you knowingly violate any of these prohibitions, you may be fined, imprisoned, or both.”

Bureaucrats deciding who is and is not mentally incompetent. No hearing with actual medical exam by people capable of making such a determination? Just some clueless government prefect making the determination? This country is on a rocket sled to hell!

I apologize for the lack of several MSM sources; I can't provide sources from them if they refuse to report on it.
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    This is a tough argument. How can you let someone have a gun when they are deemed incompetent?

Should veterans deemed too mentally incompetent to handle their own financial affairs be prevented from buying a gun?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    This is a tough argument. How can you let someone have a gun when they are deemed incompetent?

I deem you incompetent- - - - -send me all your guns for safekeeping. I promise I'll take good care of them. I'm at least as qualified to make that decision as some Washington bureraucrat, probably more so since I've observed how unstable you are from years of forum posts!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Given the ease with which one may lose his civil rights, anybody seeking treatment for a mental health issue ought to have his head examined.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I deem you incompetent- - - - -send me all your guns for safekeeping. I promise I'll take good care of them. I'm at least as qualified to make that decision as some Washington bureraucrat, probably more so since I've observed how unstable you are from years of forum posts!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Forum post, what about his voting record?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Forum post, what about his voting record?

What's you talking about Willis?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    What's you talking about Willis?
    A+13 voted for obama twice.