Portable target heights... Need some opinions.....

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
:roll::roll: I have portable target stands that I use when I shoot handguns. These are just steel stands, with the feature to place 1X2's(wood) in them, and then using cardboard as a back, I attach a paper target to that. Now the discussion came up the other day at the range, and with some fellows here at the LGS on what might be the proper length of wood to use for practicing handguns. I have been using 4ft sections. Some suggest to use a 6ft. section of wood in the target stands, because when the pistol bench is the terain slope a bit out toward the target, ( about 3ft slope drop).. I shoot at 33yds, and that distance is measured with a laser range finder. I was wondering if there is any validity to the fact that if the target height is rasied, in relationship to my shooting position, would that make for better patterns,and more consistant hits from the gun, as opposed to shooting at a 4ft. target with downard sloping conditions? Probably hard to visualize what I am asking but I am planning on going to the range tomarrow or Friday, or both and if I don't forget I will bring some pics back.
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,906 Senior Member
    Hard to answer in numbers, you want the center of the bull level with the line of sight from the gun to
    the tgt or there abouts.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    It may not amount to a hill of beans, but I like to set up my targets at a height of what my intended use of the handgun will be. Example... Human 5-6', Elk 4-5', Deer 3-4', Rabbit 4-6"...etc. Target/Bulleye would be as NN has stated.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Ok Thanks fellows I will take these bits of advice and get some new 1x2's and fabricate some different target heights......
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Just to explain myself, I like shooting level, up or down and try to practice all but taking into consideration the backstop when I set up different targets. Amazing how many people don't (don't mean you specifically).

Good Gravy, I reckon Wambli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seen enough of that BS on the ranges before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tips,Wambli, and the rest of you folks. going to the range
    today, I will put ya'lls suggestions to work, I will let ya know.....