Positive article on the AR from Wired - AR as a "gadget"

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,158 Senior Member
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/ar-15/all/

This article isn't particularly political so I put it in general shooting but mods feel free to move if necessary. It's basically a tech writers take on the AR-15, it's rise in popularity and the culture surrounding it. Thought it was worth sharing since it's not all that common to see a relatively positive story about these rifles in a mainstream press outlet. He doesn't get everything perfect, but overall it's a decent article.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• HakkonenHakkonen Member Posts: 251 Member
    Very cool. I never thought I'd get the AR bug, but I've been building my own PCs since I was about 14, and the AR-as-DIY-gadget angle has me seeing possibilities.
    "If money is speech, then no money means no speech." --Bill Moyers

Money is not speech, corporations are not people, and wealth does not trickle down.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Interesting article. A point of view I hadn't considered. Thanks for posting it.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,051 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    Interesting article. A point of view I hadn't considered. Thanks for posting it.
    :agree: :that:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Haven't finished the article but the first page was interesting and different than what we usually see. Good "get".
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,740 Senior Member
    The readership of Wired is pretty libertarian. I'm not surprised, but it's an interesting point of view. A new way of looking at something, and that's always extremely novel. Thinking outside the box, so to speak.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,271 Senior Member
    Alph, sometimes you're a freaking Genius. i love this article, and it shows promise of quelling the hate of ARs, which we need right now.

I'm not trying to win over any Antis here, in my mind they're largely hopeless. But as I've said, we need to win over the middle ground, the undecided. They vote and there's more of them than anybody.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,158 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Alph, sometimes you're a freaking Genius. i love this article, and it shows promise of quelling the hate of ARs, which we need right now.

I'm not trying to win over any Antis here, in my mind they're largely hopeless. But as I've said, we need to win over the middle ground, the undecided. They vote and there's more of them than anybody.

Thanks, but can't really take credit for anything other than passing it along.

Gene...agreed Wired isn't exactly MSM and they're pretty middle of the road to libertarian, but they do have a very large readership that reaches a lot of non "gun people".
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Thanks, but can't really take credit for anything other than passing it along.

Gene...agreed Wired isn't exactly MSM and they're pretty middle of the road to libertarian, but they do have a very large readership that reaches a lot of non "gun people".

Well here's raising a glass to "non-gun people" reading this.
    FYI to non-techy people: On average, over 70 percent of all page views are via smart phone or other mobile device. And this number is growing, so any on line positive perspective is all to the good.
    p.s. my 70 percent # is at least 18 months old. 90 wouldn't surprise me.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    the comments speak louder about their reader base. very anti or the "logical compromise" anti's in disguise as pro 2A.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I've only skimmed a few of the comments, but this is my favorite so far!
    Despite being a European and anti gun except for hunting uses, and after everything that's happened in the US, I still want one. It's such a cool object.

Lots of ignorant anti comments too, but that's to be expected.
    -DoctorWho
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    I like the article although I found the term AR15 used in places where M4/M16 should have been. The photo from 'Nam should have been labeled M4 and pretty much every military context should have been.

I must admit though, I didn't learn anything new from the article. I've been so deep into the issues and the AR15 platform that I knew of all of these perspectives presented there. Still, I liked the analogies presented for the techies to better "get it".

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    mythaeus wrote: »
    I like the article although I found the term AR15 used in places where M4/M16 should have been. The photo from 'Nam should have been labeled M4 and pretty much every military context should have been.

I must admit though, I didn't learn anything new from the article. I've been so deep into the issues and the AR15 platform that I knew of all of these perspectives presented there. Still, I liked the analogies presented for the techies to better "get it".

Al

Yeah I noticed a few of the errors too, clearly not perfect, but more willing to let it slide due to the overall positive message.

Obviously I wouldn't expect you to learn anything from it (you could have wrote it and done a much better job), the point was more to point out the AR getting some positive press in a mainstream outlet.
    -DoctorWho
    Yeah I noticed a few of the errors too, clearly not perfect, but more willing to let it slide due to the overall positive message.

Obviously I wouldn't expect you to learn anything from it (you could have wrote it and done a much better job), the point was more to point out the AR getting some positive press in a mainstream outlet.

Oh, it's definitely a positive light on the platform and glad to see a magazine such as WIRED doing the piece. It reaffirms what I knew and spread the words more than I ever could. It was difficult for me to convey that I knew all the angles without sounding like an unimpressed know-it-all, though, but hopefully it didn't come across as that :tooth:.

BTW, the NYT actually did one earlier, with a take on marketing as the reason for popularity: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/business/the-ar-15-the-most-wanted-gun-in-america.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,051 Senior Member
    The photo from 'Nam should have been labeled M4 and pretty much every military context should have been.

Al
    Actually any reference to a select fire made prior to the mid 90's (IIRC) is correctly called a M-16A?
    Going from memory here, but believe A1 added frwd assist in the late 60's early 70's, A2 heavier contour barrel and longer stock, A3 different sights. Then they went to 14.5" barrel, different feed ramps, railed forened, flat top upper w/collapsible stock for the M4.

The "original" with the collapsible stock select fire was the CAR-15
    (Again if my feeble memory serves)
    Also, somewhere between m16, and the a1 and a2 variants they went from the triangular handguards to the current round (unrailed)

edited to add: Also somewhere along the way, (a3-m4 I think) they did away with true full auto capabilities for most and went with 3 shot burst At least for normal Army grunts, SF soldiers still have true FA (At least the 20th SF still does or did the last Qual for oldest Step-son. He's not SF qual, but is assigned to them for their sat-coms)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Actually any reference to a FA made prior to the mid 90's (IIRC) is correctly called a M-16A?
    Going from memory here, but believe A1 added frwd assist in the late 60's early 70's, A2 heavier contour barrel and longer stock, A3 different sights. Then they went to 14.5" barrel, different feed ramps, railed forened, flat top upper w/collapsible stock for the M4

The "original" with the collapsible stock select fire was the CAR-15
    (Again if my feeble memory serves)
    Also, somewhere between m16, and the a1 and a2 variants they went from the triangular handguards to the current round (unrailed)

I'm actually having a bit difficulty figuring which model that one is in the photo. It has retractable stock, but a fixed carry handle. It doesn't have brass deflector and no FA that I can see. There was a military-designated M16A2E2 that suppose to have a flat top and ACR break. This one looks like it may be a hybrid upper and lower? Even the details when you click on the photos is off: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2016/11/ar-15/viet-nam-war-1967/

Al
    OK, it looks like the Colt XM177E2 CAR-15 variant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_XM-177E1.jpg

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15#CAR-15_Commando_.28XM177.2FGAU-5_series.29

Learned something new today!

Al
    I was in the middle of having my "AH HA!" moment and typing that I thought it was a Colt XM17 blah blah can't remember the rest of the numbers, when I see that Al beat me to it....Now I am going to sit in the corner and sulk for a while...
    I was in the middle of having my "AH HA!" moment and typing that I thought it was a Colt XM17 blah blah can't remember the rest of the numbers, when I see that Al beat me to it....Now I am going to sit in the corner and sulk for a while...

Hahaha...I cheated, had to look it up so you were 1 step ahead.

Al
    That stupid long flash suppressor is what made me remember...Isn't that the one they called the Colt Commando? It was issued to some serious behind enemy lines "not actually there" types?

ETA: So, i got all curious on those 4.3" "flash suppressors" and I'm seeing that they were partially baffled to reduce the decibel level to that of a 20" A1...You do learn something everyday!
    That stupid long flash suppressor is what made me remember...Isn't that the one they called the Colt Commando? It was issued to some serious behind enemy lines "not actually there" types?

ETA: So, i got all curious on those 4.3" "flash suppressors" and I'm seeing that they were partially baffled to reduce the decibel level to that of a 20" A1...You do learn something everyday!

Yup, it was a Colt Commando. The link I posted above has the whole history on it. Pretty interesting.

Al
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,740 Senior Member
    OK, it looks like the Colt XM177E2 CAR-15 variant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_XM-177E1.jpg

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15#CAR-15_Commando_.28XM177.2FGAU-5_series.29

Learned something new today!

Al

That's what I carried during part of my tour. It was popularly known as a CAR 15. Very bad to jam. I got rid of it for a M 16
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Gene got it right, you young'uns need to brush up, in the photo was a CAR 15. The shorter barrel causes A LOT of gas and carbon to get back to the BCG. At night you can see miniscule flare around the BCG from the ejection port (escaped gas). I had one issued to me in Macedonia after my M203 took a dump (couple of years before the M4).
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!