Should I Shoot This?

dodgedifferentdodgedifferent New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
I have a somewhat rare firearm and was wondering what you guys thought about firing it. It is a pre-ban (1993) Colt AR chambered in 7.62. What is rare about this particular firearm is that it has never been shot. I bought it new some years ago and have never shot it because I knew the value would be greater in an unused condition. How much of a depreciation can i expect sending a few rounds down range?

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    Shoot the crap out of it before Curious George and his lap dog Holder come to take it away from you and send it to Mexico. You can buy a toy gun if you want a wallhanger- - - -I don't think they've banned those yet!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    The fact that it's "pre-ban" basically adds nothing to it's value as far as I know, since the ban expired 9 years ago. So you can either have a NIB rifle (if you still have the box) or you can have a used rifle. If it's just "used" but not abused, you're not going to lose much in my experience
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    Keep the box. It increases the value considerably. If you want to sell it, now is the time. If not, shoot the bad boy.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    if the gun was purchased by you and you havent shot it, then its worth more to a collector as-is. IE NOT SHOT.

as mentioned, now is the time to sell it if you dare. every day you wait, allows the panic to die down more.

fwiw, my LGS has one also. hes going to put it up f/s soon.

if you do decide to shoot it, and if i was looking to buy it, i would value it as a "USED" gun. no matter how few rounds you shoot thru it.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Keep it and shoot it, otherwise you're a tool to the market.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    He's not a gun nut! He's owned it for years and hasn't shot it yet! Sell the thing! Take the money and run! Buy some posies and plant a peace flag.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    guns are like cars...once it leaves the lot, its used whether never shot, shot once, or shot 10k times. pre-ban really means nothing anymore and if the Dems get their way you won't be able to transfer it regardless of when it was purchased. if it was me I'd join the gougers and sell it at a very high premium ASAP since it isn't being used.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Sell it. Lock in your gains and wait for the buying frenzy to blow over. Once prices are back down, buy another gun and congratulate yourself on making a handsome profit.
  • dodgedifferentdodgedifferent New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for all the advice. I do still have the box, but as some of you have pointed out it is still considered used i guess. After all, i would have a hard time believing a gun that is almost 20 years old has never been shot myself and i typically give people the benefit of the doubt. Guess ill have to see it if shoots half way decent.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    It was almost certainly test fired before leaving the factory, so "never been shot" is a big lie anyway. A few rounds downrange won't matter much, and if you like the way it shoots (unlikely) you might just want to keep it. I think there was a reason the 7.62 EBR's didn't sell very well.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    After all, i would have a hard time believing a gun that is almost 20 years old has never been shot myself and i typically give people the benefit of the doubt. Guess ill have to see it if shoots half way decent.

I know folks who have guns that are two or three times that old and are still in the original box and have never had a round fired through them by the owner....they're called Safe Queens and were bought as an investment rather than for use....in the end, what you have on your hands...shoot the thing, you might decide to keep it...and if you do decide to sell it, considering the current frenzy, those few rounds aren't going to cost you a dime...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Shoot it to see if you like it or not. If not, sell it. In the current market you are not going to hurt it's value any.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    I'd say this is your decision, I would shoot it unless I had plans to sell. I don't really like stuff I cannot use for ME.