My M&P just grew an inch....

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,085 Senior Member
IMAG0325-1_zpsc76fb4ef.jpg

After a measly 2 months with my standard M&P I found a used Pro series with Apex trigger, warren tactical sights, 5 mags, plus bladetech holster and mag pouch for a good price. I've now got my standard M&P9 up for sale and if I get what I'm asking it'll cost me less than $200 for the upgrade (which is less than the cost of the 3 extra mags at today's prices).

I picked it up and immediately headed to the range. For comparison I shot it back to back with my standard M&P and my groups shrunk approximately in half with the Pro with the Apex trigger. I don't know what I was thinking, thinking the newer M&P had a decent trigger. While it's not terrible, it's nothing compared to a gun with an Apex in it! While I still don't shoot the pro as well as my CZ, it's not really a fair comparison since I've got at least 2-3k rounds through the CZ and maybe 50 through the Pro.

The guy included the parts he took out of the Pro series with the gun so for fun when I got home I swapped the pro sear for the regular one on my standard. To my surprise it made the trigger pull worse! It might have been slightly lighter and a bit shorter reset, but it was hard to tell because it made the trigger loud and gritty as heck! I didn't install the pro striker block though which may have reduced some of the issues as it did seem to be the point where the trigger had the most issues. Given this, it seems that adding an Apex trigger to a standard gun is probably a better expenditure than buying a stock Pro if you're a trigger snob like I'm apparently quickly becoming.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,288 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    You making the trip to Tennessee this year? I'd like to run that next to my XDM Comp......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,085 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    You making the trip to Tennessee this year? I'd like to run that next to my XDM Comp......

That's the plan, it will definitely coming with me.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    This message has been deleted
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,766 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,070 Senior Member
    Soooooo, stipple?

:tooth:
    Eli wrote: »
    Soooooo, stipple?

:tooth:

I'm thinking possibly some grip tape, but unsure where exactly it needs it. I'll probably shoot this in some IDPA matches so to be legal for SSP the stippling has to be confined only to the back strap.
    -DoctorWho
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,364 Senior Member
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,330 Senior Member
    Only an inch?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Only an inch?

I knew I could count on you! You never disappoint...
    -DoctorWho
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Why not keep the shorter model? I started with a pair of 4.25" M&P40's, than got a pair of M&P40 Shields, and will get a pair of M&P40 Pro 5" CORE's this summer. You can always keep a gun stashed in different places around the house "Just In Case".
    Riflemann wrote: »
    Why not keep the shorter model? I started with a pair of 4.25" M&P40's, than got a pair of M&P40 Shields, and will get a pair of M&P40 Pro 5" CORE's this summer. You can always keep a gun stashed in different places around the house "Just In Case".

Despite what it might seem like lately, my gun budget isn't unlimited. I've got other things I'd rather buy and would rather have the cash on hand to jump on an opportunity that might fall into my lap (like this one) than an inferior (although perfectly adequate) version of a gun I've already got. Of course what makes this possible is that the secondary market here in VA is very good and I should be able to sell for most what I have in it, if not a tiny profit.
    -DoctorWho
    On my pistols, I like to have 2 of the same model since my wife shoots with me alot, or one of my daughters want to go shooting with me. My son generaly has the same pistols as I do and the whole family hunts with the same caliber rifles for deer or predators so we handload all the same ammo for everyone.
    Riflemann wrote: »
    On my pistols, I like to have 2 of the same model since my wife shoots with me alot, or one of my daughters want to go shooting with me. My son generaly has the same pistols as I do and the whole family hunts with the same caliber rifles for deer or predators so we handload all the same ammo for everyone.

Makes sense...sorry if I sounded like I was making a value judgement about you owning multiple versions of the same gun, didn't intend to. I'm the only one that shoots in my family so most of my collection is built around diversity and filling different niches. A bit of "churn" in my collection also lets me try out a bunch of different firearms and find exactly what I like while swapping the ones that don't make a strong impression.
    -DoctorWho
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Nice, I like that.
    These are good times around our house, Kids are all grown and moved out, now I have 2 grandsons coming up, and the whole family enjoys hunting and guns. Years ago the kids were what I spent my money on, now I am enjoying the hobby a bit more. Enjoy your guns guys, We still live in a Free Country, even though the PC crowd thinks they know better than us. Good Shooting,----Riflemann