A Star for Andrew Ridge (ADRidge)

ADRidge's GirlADRidge's Girl MemberPosts: 30 Member
Hey everyone, its been a long time since I've been on here. I hope you are all well.

As a lot of your know, I am Andrew Ridge's (ADRidge) fiancé - and I know a great many of you know of his passing last June. His birthday is coming up in March, and I wanted to do something special for that day for his family to surprise them and also give everyone else a way to honor him.

So I have bought a star in his name (i know its kinda fake and silly, but i think the idea is very powerful) - Alpha Romeo for his initials (also a pretty badass name in its own!) There is a star page online that shows you where its at (see link below) in the Ursa Major constellation (big dipper is part of this constellation) so that all year long we can look up and know he is watching over us from the Great Bear.

Here's the link: https://stars.osr.org/MXV971612

I'm asking that you visit the star page and leave a comment... happy memories, funny stories, something you gained from him, or whatever you feel like sharing to celebrate him. I know when I share it with his family on his birthday, March 28th, having a bunch of wonderful comments from you all would REALLY make it extra special. It will be a tough day, we're gonna need all the love we can muster. Please share with others who might want to see or comment too. And thank you in advance, and my deepest appreciation for all the comments you all poured out in the first few months of his passing... looking back, you have NO idea how healing and helpful all your support was then, for myself and his family. From the depths of my heart I thank you <3

PS I havent forgotten about the shoot - still hoping at least his mom and I will make it out and maybe his brother too! ;)

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Great idea, Sarah! I look forward to meeting you and Drew's Mom at the SE Shoot this year.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    I miss Drew here on the Forum. He could get a thread hoppin' at times! Hope you, your mother, and brother can make it to the Shoot.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this, Sarah. What you are doing is a wonderful idea. FYI, I just added my post. I'm the guy from Monahans.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    Sarah -

This is a really thoughtful and heartfelt thing you've done to preserve Drew's memory. Message left.

Luis
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Very thoughful, thanks for sharing.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing Sarah, hey Mods is there anyway to make this a temporary sticky? There are some folks who actually met Drew in person who might have some good stories to share on that site.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Sarah, you are awesome! The minute I saw this thread the tears just flowed on their own before I finished reading it. He is a man of his dreams and he loved you more than he loved flying. Alpha Romeo......not a bad car either! I miss the drew-man. Thank you.

I put my comment on the site, everyone take the time to do the same.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,006 Senior Member
    I think that is a cool thing you did, hope you are doing well:angel:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    I feel like I have been gut punched. I was gone for a while from the forum and this is the first I heard of him passing. I talked to him in 2011 when I was headed to Texas and we talked about getting together but due to an illness laying me over in Tennessee for a few extra days it didn't happen. I am sad to hear that he is gone. From the brief time I chatted with him he came across as a good man. I am glad you chose to honor him in a way that will allow us all to have a reminder of our lost friend. :angel2:
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    RIP, Drew, and all the other young men who left us too soon in their pursuit of the freedom of flight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btH3bCJD2wM

:angel:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ADRidge's GirlADRidge's Girl Member Posts: 30 Member
    To everyone here, thank you again for the wonderful messages you've left on the Star page, I hope more continue to share in the next few weeks. Each and every one has warmed my heart, and I know will mean SO much to his parents and his brother and sister on his birthday.

Rallykid, I'm terribly sorry you've found out so much after the fact my friend =( he died in a helicopter crash in Washington state on June 12th last year while working. It was his first job as a working pilot, he'd done a few weekend gigs for them before that one. He was happy as a man could be, and I can honestly say those 6 months of 2012 were literally the happiest either of us had ever been, a very blissful and effortless sort of joy we had that year together, full of nothing but love and excitement. A time I will always cherish.

As I look back, what I remember most is that he was living his dreams, he had my support 100%, and I had his. There's a lot of peace in knowing that neither of us had any regrets, and that he found a kind of happiness in his short time here that so many never do. That we lived so fully and never pushed aside the important things like talking, listening, and having FUN. He lived a very full life, and he taught me how to do the same.

In fact, I left my lame corporate job only 2 months after he died... moved out of Dallas where we called home (we never really liked it there anyway) and am now staying with his parents (both of mine are passed away). He gave me a new family in a way. They are the most incredible, loving people I've ever known and we have come together very much to heal. I am so blessed to have them. His younger brother and sister are like my own now, I am fiercely protective of them. His parents have helped me in any way they can to start living my own dreams of flying - a different kind... flying high as an artist. I've always been an artist, but i have never stepped fully into that in my life. He was definitely the greatest supporter of my art and wanted nothing more than to see me taking off with it. Well, now I am... just a few days before his birthday I will be selling my art for the very first time at a local art festival - and I've been gaining a lot of attention online in the past few months - had 4 people just this past week interested in commissioning me for some things! I never dreamed all this could happen - that I could make art for a living... do something a truly LOVE for a living. Now I'm believing. He changed the whole course of my life - and still is. So really, in that way, maybe he's never entirely gone after all. He lives in how we live.

I have no idea why I just poured all that out - lol - but I was feeling the moment from all your wonderful messages and there it came! Thank you all again!!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    I left a note for him.

Pilots never die, they just buzz off.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    :that:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Thank YOU for providing a reminder. As the daily grind of life wears on the memory, its a truly wonderful thing on your part to help kick start the memory. I always appreciated Drews comments and stories on here, and he was getting to be a pretty good yarn spinner. He is missed.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 64 Member
    The star is a great thing.

I honestly feel Drew is looking down and appreciating everyones kind words. Goosebumps and a knot inmy throat everytime I remember a talk he and I had that changed my life. He never realized it, he was so nonchalant (sp?) about the whole deal but we were fishing at my Dads lake house towards the end of 2011 on Lake Texoma and the night before we had a few too many scotches....a whole nother story.... and he really spoke some sense to me about following my dreams and getting out from behind the gun counter where we worked and back to fishing on the ocean everyday. I will never forget Drew, Great guy and I miss him, everyday.
    Drew is a terrific example of following your dream. Years ago, he was very unhappy and a little bitter about life, and it showed here. But when he made the decision to take flight lessons and go after his dream, he became a whole new man, full of humor and a new excitement about everything!

I wish I could have known him in person, but even just knowing him here, he was a good friend.

NRA Endowment Member