Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Cabellas new policy for New Yorkers

BlazerBlazer New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
I sent the following email to the NRA describing my recent trip to Cabellas in Pensylvania.

Cabelas firearm policy change
Hello.
I was recently very disheartened by a new policy of the Cabelas
outdoor store chain which impacts law-abiding citizens wishing to
legally purchase firearms from their chain. Here are the facts:
Yesterday, Feb. 24, 2013, I took a day trip from Long Island to the
Cabelas store in Hamburg, Pa (over 3 hours one way), with a friend, his
son, and two of my sons. While there, I found a Sig Sauer M1911 45 cal
POW/MIA commemerative pistol with a 7 round magazine that I wanted to
buy as a gift for my father, a Korean War Veteran. I already legally own
a few handguns and was going to give this gun to my father as soon as he
obtained his New York State pistol license. I was told by the Cabelas
gun counter employee that Cabelas new policy (of about 3 weeks old) was
that NO semi-automatic firearms will be sold to any NY residents due to
recent law changes in NY State. Even though this firearm is still
perfectly legal in NY, the mere fact that it is semi-automatic means
Cabelas will not sell it to me. I was told I could buy any revolver and
have it shipped to a FFL dealer in NY but not a semi-auto. Today, I
figured I would purchase the gun from Cabelas and have them ship it to a
FFL gun dealer in Pennsylvania, then have the Pa dealer ship it to a FFL
dealer on Long Island, from which I could then take possession of it.
The Pa gun dealer I contacted said they would be happy to take the
shipment from Cabelas and then ship it to my FFL dealer here on L.I.
This way Cabelas would not violate their ridiculous new policy. When I
contacted Cabelas to tell them this, I was told that was no good either.
Cabelas corporate offices will not allow the transaction simply because
the gun will eventualy wind up in New York State, even though NO LAW
will be violated by doing so! I was put on hold, then told that a
conference call was just made between the Hamburg, Pa Cabellas and their
corporate office in Nebraska, who confirmed their position that no NY
resident may purchase any semi-automatic firearm from Cabelas no matter
how it is transported to NY State. The employees actual words to me
were: "Cabelas will not be involved either directly or indirectly with
the sale of any semi-auto firearm if it will eventually wind up in New
York State." This gun is very difficult to find and would make a great
tribute from a son to his father, but Cabelas new policy prevents this
perfectly legal and responsible event from taking place, and for no
legitimate reason. I have been a law enforcement officer for the last 17
+ years, I am a legal and ethical hunter, and a firm believer in the
second amendment rights granted by our constitution. The conduct of
Cabelas should be made well-known and not supported. Not one more penny
of my hard earned money will find it's way to Cabelas and I will make
sure this insult to honest law-abiding gun owners is as well known as I
can make it. Thank you for what your organization does for the rights of
good, honest people.

Long Island, NY

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,062 Senior Member
    It's not only Cabela's. Because of the anti 2A policies of New York a LOT of gun maunfacturors and suppliers will no longer do business there!! It's not the stores fault, but your screwed up pea brained libtard politicians!!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    You are complaining to the wrong people. Join the NY State Trooper Association, and the REST of the united states to go AGAINST new York's SAFE act:
    http://www.gunpoliticsny.com/?p=7562

Can you fault Cabelas in not being able to tell how to comply with a law that was so poorly written that it made it a crime for POLICE officers to load their issues magazines to capacity?

Here is a list of Seventy-some companies that are refusing to do business with NY due to the law:
    http://www.ncgunblog.com/new-york-boycott/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Simple solution- - - - -get the frack out of Noo Yawk!
    Jerry
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    While I realize this created a hardship for you, I do not blame Cabelas for there stance on this issue. Are you aware of the on-line site Gunbroker, there are currently 4 of the models you desire listed for sale there. With luck, one of those sellers will still be doing business in NY.
    Good luck.

Sako
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Instead of venting here about a company that has taken a stand on the 2nd Amendment and refuses to do business with a state that is trampling that right under foot, it would be much more worthwhile to write your governor, state representatives, and anyone else in the NY government to get the anti 2A laws just passed repealed. Cabela's and many other companies have come on board and are refusing sales to NY and a couple of other states because of the laws just passed. And it is my hope that many more step aboard.

Laws like the one your state passed make it difficult for such companies to do business there, so they decide not to do business there to avoid inadvertently breaking the law. The fault isn't Cabela's. You point your finger at them and fail to realize that there are three of your own fingers pointing back at you.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Hey Blazer, Thanks for this information. In protest, I will not be doing business with Cabela's anymore. I usually buy something something from them every year,and have done so since,1999. I will locate another source for my gun needs,until Cabela's reverses this inept,and anti-2nd amendment,company policy.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Actually this policy is in support of 2A. Like other companies, they've decided they will not sell anything to LEOs that any law-abiding citizen can't buy.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote:
    Simple solution- - - - -get the frack out of Noo Yawk!
    Jerry
    .....Not a bad idea Teach!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    Hey Blazer, Thanks for this information. In protest, I will not be doing business with Cabela's anymore. I usually buy something something from them every year,and have done so since,1999. I will locate another source for my gun needs,until Cabela's reverses this inept,and anti-2nd amendment,company policy.

Why are you going to protest a company that supports the 2A?
  • DrumhellerDrumheller New Member Posts: 13 New Member
    The problem is they are punishing the law abiding citizen when they will not sell legal gun to NY. The gun in question is legal for anyone in the state to own from what I have read.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    Drumheller wrote: »
    The problem is they are punishing the law abiding citizen when they will not sell legal gun to NY. The gun in question is legal for anyone in the state to own from what I have read.

The NY legislature are the ones punishing the law abiding citizens. Manufacturers and distributors are tired of jumping through the hoops and have decided to take a stand. I understand it sucks for the average joe, but I applaud them for doing so.

Except that magazines holding 8 or more rounds are available for it. Cabela's is taking the 'safe is better than sorry' stance as well as making a statement on the 2nd Amendment. Don't look at it as punishment; look at it as a wake-up call. You should really be questioning why your state is so adamant about disarming you and other law abiding citizens. Germany didn't question it in the 1930s and look where that led.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BlazerBlazer New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Instead of venting here about a company that has taken a stand on the 2nd Amendment and refuses to do business with a state that is trampling that right under foot, it would be much more worthwhile to write your governor, state representatives, and anyone else in the NY government to get the anti 2A laws just passed repealed. Cabela's and many other companies have come on board and are refusing sales to NY and a couple of other states because of the laws just passed. And it is my hope that many more step aboard.

Laws like the one your state passed make it difficult for such companies to do business there, so they decide not to do business there to avoid inadvertently breaking the law. The fault isn't Cabela's. You point your finger at them and fail to realize that there are three of your own fingers pointing back at you.

How are they supporting the 2nd amendment by denying the sale of a gun to an INDIVIDUAL person who happens to be from NY? As stated in my letter I even had it arranged that Cabellas could ship the gun to a Pennsylvania dealer, thereby taking them out of the loop and preventing any dealings with NY State. If they simply boycotted selling to NY State governments or municipalities and the like I would say fine, good for you. If violating the NY law was their only concern then shipping it to a Pa FFL took care of that for them. And I still point my finger at them.

Yes. The gun is perfectly legal in NY, magazine capacity and all. The Cabellas salesman even acknowledged that.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    Blazer wrote: »
    How are they supporting the 2nd amendment by denying the sale of a gun to an INDIVIDUAL person who happens to be from NY? As stated in my letter I even had it arranged that Cabellas could ship the gun to a Pennsylvania dealer, thereby taking them out of the loop and preventing any dealings with NY State. If they simply boycotted selling to NY State governments or municipalities and the like I would say fine, good for you. If violating the NY law was their only concern then shipping it to a Pa FFL took care of that for them. And I still point my finger at them.
    Many businesses won't sell ARs to California residents even if they're out of state because of the potential to sell an item that is illegal for that state's residents to have.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I still point my finger at them.

Keep doing that- - - - - -there are three fingers pointing back at the real source of the problem. You dummies elected these gun grabbers- - - -now lie in the the bed you made for yourselves, and try to relax and enjoy the screwing you're getting! I don't feel a bit of sympathy for the fools in New York!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Keep doing that- - - - - -there are three fingers pointing back at the real source of the problem. You dummies elected these gun grabbers- - - -now lie in the the bed you made for yourselves, and try to relax and enjoy the screwing you're getting! I don't feel a bit of sympathy for the fools in New York!
    Jerry

You seem to really love that three finger phrase. These three fingers don't point at someone who cast any votes that caused this. A great many people in this state strongly oppose what's going on around here. Unfortunately the majority didn't swing our way this time. Oh and nobody's looking for your sympathy. Trust me.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    You dummies elected these gun grabbers- - - -now lie in the the bed you made for yourselves, and try to relax and enjoy the screwing you're getting!

Isn't that about like saying that you, Teach.........elected our current president? So, suck it up and stop complaining?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    Blazer- were you trying to take a gun into NYC? You say "Long Island", but that can be misleading. There are different laws for the city, and that could be a reason for them to deny the sale.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,194 Senior Member
    I don't know if 'divide and conquer' was part of the New York state legislature's and Governor Cuomo's grand plan, but it sure seems to be working out that way.

Guys, this bickering among ourselves is not going to make us any stronger. The name calling is certainly way out of line.

Personally, I don't understand why Cabella's thinks their policy is a good one. I can see refusing to sell to NY government agencies, but not to private citizens when everything is legal and above board. I think they're hurting themselves on this one.

Now would be a good time for everyone to take a deep breath and take a few minutes before making another post.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Given the topsy turvy mess the New York legislature has made here recently, you can hardly fault anyone for not wanting to ship a handgun into New York. Plus couple that with from what I see you wrote in your letter its' already a borderline illigal purchase. Check the 4473 form and the question that asks if you are going to be the owner of the firearm...
    Simple route , have your local FFL dealer call Cabela's and have them sell and ship it to him direct , if they will.
    Otherwise you guys in New York are just going to have to learn to live with the mess your legislature made of things in your behalf, and not be blaming an out of state company for not wanting to get tangled up in the goofy laws in New York itself.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Every company has the right to set what they feel are best practice policies and Cabelas as it would seem chooses not to deal with the nonesense in NY. Will they lose customers? Perhaps but that is their call.
    Being from Illinois I have had to deal with similar policies when attempting to purchase ammo on-line. Some places will not ship to Illinois due to our FOID requirement even for ammo purchases. Frustrating, yes but not worthy of getting on-line to vent to strangers. I simply found alternate suppliers for what I wanted.
    In my first post on this subject I offered an alternative solution to the OP which was not acknowlaged so I can only assume they are here more to vent than find a solution.

Sako
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Blazer- were you trying to take a gun into NYC? You say "Long Island", but that can be misleading. There are different laws for the city, and that could be a reason for them to deny the sale.

The political climate is such that really they are so huge and have so much to lose that is it cheaper Blazer to upset you then find themselves in some kind of violation of NY's extreme new regulations. More then likely they have not had time to learn the rules and train their employees properly. I think a little understanding on your part (Blazer) is in order as well. I have been to the Hamburg store and it is so busy that losing a sale to you is like me dropping a penny on the ground.
    As stated in my letter I even had it arranged that Cabellas could ship the gun to a Pennsylvania dealer, thereby taking them out of the loop and preventing any dealings with NY State.

You are not taking them out of the loop. They are still in the loop because the gun originated from their FFL. To them if that gun ended up on the street in NY the ATF would still come calling to them eventually to find out how it got there. They will follow the paper trail. If it turns out that a new regulation was violated THEY will be punished. You have to look at the big picture which is of course protecting the cash flow.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
    Jerry

Easy there Jerry. We have friends trapped behind the liberal lines. Just because they lost their battle does not mean they support the liberal agenda.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,529 Senior Member
    There is no way you can fault Cabelas.

As goofy as the laws are in NY, they are avoiding the place like the plauge. If they sell it to you and in the time it takes to have the thing shipped it may be illegal and they could be into a lawsuit.

You may not have voted for the people responsible, however your neighbors did. Elections have consequences.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    .....This gun is very difficult to find and would make a great
    tribute from a son to his father, but Cabelas new policy prevents this
    perfectly legal and responsible event from taking place, and for no
    legitimate reason....

Why not just buy one off gunbroker.com? There are 4 active listings for that gun today. Not so difficult to find now was it? :)

Put your bid in and have it shipped to your FFL. Problem solved.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=sig+sauer+pow
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    very good, I'll have to make the trip to Nebraska and get the howdah pistol and Leica 1600-B up there. Wait a moment. Has the Colorado store opened or is it on hold again awaiting pending legislation?
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    Blazer, here's the deal. Your state passed a very restrictive gun confiscation bill. The full ramifications of that law are still being studied, and changes are possible re the no 'special dispensation' for cops. Until the dust settles, many companies won't enter into sales on the grounds that the law hasn't been out long enough for them to study the ramifications to sales to that state, and some just won't sell due to the 2nd Amendment stand.

And for what it's worth, if I still had my 01 FFL, I wouldn't ship any semiautos to NY State either until I'd had time to fully digest the new law and it's ramifications. When I had my FFL I always ensured my behind was covered concerning the law. Might not be any skin of the buyer's nose if I made a mistake, but running afoul of the Feds could have put my tail in a tight crack I couldn't get out of no matter what. Used to be that the penalty for the FFL holder was twice the penalty for the buyer, as in double prison time and double fine.

And if the law in NY state says seven rounds, well a 1911 could be a problem. The magazine may only hold 7 rounds, but chamber a round and then insert a magazine with 7 rounds, and you have an 8 round pistola. May not be how they meant the law to read, but some slimy bottom feeding prosecutor could easily set a precedent out the gate and make some political hay. A felony weapons charge and conviction would negate firearms ownership forever.

I still think you should direct some wrath at the legislature and the governor, and get anyone who dislikes the new law to also do the same. Meanwhile, you have been informed at least twice that Gunbroker has the pistol from several sellers.
    ― Douglas Adams
    OK, I probably came across a little more strongly than the situation warranted. Here's what set me off- - - -the OP comes on with his first post whining about Cabelas basically being in C Y A mode over a situation they didn't create, and he's trying to blame everything and everybody EXCEPT the ones at fault for the cluster flop. He seems to think that being a New York LEO makes him so special that he can coerce a business with outlets all over the country to be his accomplice in a quasi-legal scheme that would be considered to be a straw purchase even before the latest round of gun control stupidity hit. We see that mindset pretty regularly from a lot of LEO's for some reason. What he does with the gun after he buys it is his business, or at least it should be, like it is here in Tennessee where the politicians still have a healthy respect for the people who put them where they are. The crapload of "pistol permits" and other stupidity that the citizens up there have tolerated for years was just the tip of the iceberg that just hit their version of the Titanic- - - -now they can get busy rearranging the deck chairs before their freedom sinks beneath the icy waves of poltical correctness for good.
    Jerry
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Cabelas is based in NE which is not a handgun friendly state in its own right. I have a great weakness for their stores and catalogs, the Cabelas points you build up on their credit card are also very enabling. I am disappointed in them now because they don't have any .224 bullets for me to purchase (The last time I looked anyway). I also read today Bloomberg wants to expand his sugary drink ban to the whole great state of NY. How's that for hi-jinks? Does the poster wonder why Cabelas has no stores in NY?