"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior MemberPosts: 819 Senior Member
Does that phrase scare anybody else to death, or is it just me?
Here's the latest example of the great bureaucracy at work:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/25/la-authorities-force-homeless-rescue-mission-to-destroy-8k-of-deer-meat/

Some highlights from the article:
Workers at a rescue mission in Louisiana were forced by state health officials to destroy roughly $8,000 worth of deer meat because state law prevents the serving of venison in homeless shelters, according Fox News.

“The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins — and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox — so other animals would not eat the meat,” the Fox report notes.

Again, just so we’re all on the same page, that’s 1,600 pounds of venison.

This one REALLY gets me:
The whole ordeal started after someone at the shelter complained about being fed deer meat
So don't eat it! You don't like it, go somewhere else where they'll serve you ground beef or filet mignon or lobster tail! Geez....

When questioned by Fox, state officials said the Clorox baptism was necessary “so that animals would not eat it from the dumpster and become sick or die.”

“This is a process called ‘denaturing,’” they said

A comment at the bottom of the article about ruining the meat was perfect..."Very appropriate terminology. After all, what could be more unnatural than destroying perfectly good, healthy food when people are hungry?"

I have no words.....

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    "Let them eat cake!" - Queen Marie Antoinette
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,365 Senior Member
    Should have thrown the state health officials in the dumpster and doused them with bleach to denature them. They are more dangerous to the health of the people than the deer meat ever could be.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Why does state law prevent from serving venison? Cause it's not regulated by the FDA?! Why doesn't the FDA come down and look at it...."yee-up, it's a deer.....chow down peoples!" Seems to me STUPID is in those states bordering big water....must be the water......
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you help me."