Fatal shark attack..........

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,735 Senior Member
........about 10 miles from where we normally operate the charter boat.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/16252397/shark-attack-at-muriwai-beach-confirmed-fatal/

Will say a prayer for the victim and his family tonight.

They havent released his name yet and he appears to be a local..........(I know a lot of people who live out that way)

Saw a couple of 6-8 foot 'Whites' on sunday when we were fishing. I was surprised actually as this is the first time for about 5 years that I have seen any of that species in the area we were in. We had a couple of Mako's swimming around the boat and kept one that weighed about 60kg after it was foolish enough to take a hooked snapper.. Also had 3-4 blue sharks in the 6' range attacking hooked fish as they were being reeled in.

Great Whites are protected over here now. It stands to reason that the numbers will increase.

Which reminds me, 2 weeks ago we picked up some 2" nylon rope in the port propellor and I managed to clear it with the gaff instead of going over the side to cut it away. Hope we dont pick up anything on the props this weekend. Berley in the water along with hooked, bleeding and struggling fish is a great attractant.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    When I live in the SanFran Bay Area in the early 80s, girlfriend and I would often go to Santa Cruz and other nearby beaches. It was absolutely necessary for someone to keep watch for the Great Whites.

One note of caution for inexperienced swimmers off California coastlines: If you see a few California Sealions in the water, get the hell out! The seals won't hurt you but those dudes following the herd may not be so friendly.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Stay safe my friend. You have a trip to make, and a "fat man" to visit.

One question though...
    orchidman wrote: »
    ... Berley in the water ...
    What's "Berley" :uhm:
    Must be kiwi for something, but not a term I'm familiar with.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Sharks are something I don't care to see when fishing offshore. They can put a lid on the bite from gamefish in a hurry. And taking half of a fish off the hook means that the other half has to be thrown overboard when landed due to length regs.

Knitepoet, berley is baitfish dead or barley living thrown out as chum to attract fish. Whole baitfish along with chum is a good gamefish attractant, and will also draw sharks.

Alec, be careful going over the side to clear a prop when you're out there fishing. Want me to make you a take down bang stick to take back with you? I can make one in .357 Mag. pretty quick!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    We did a lot of scuba diving here in Puerto Rico in my high school days, we saw our share of sharks, 6 footers and so on, we carried a power head all the time, at one point there where some reports of a 30 foot white shark around which is kinda rare here and as we where very young and stupid we came out with this "plan" to catch it alive that included a well to do uncle's patronage, a cage and a cow so we could cash in selling it to a seaquarium, good thing we never got the funds to try it.

Did I mention "young and stupid"?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".