Well, "Justified" really ramped up this episode

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
The new Feb 26 episode of "Justified" really opened the action floodgates, eh?

It's been building to this over the past 3-4 episodes and things finally erupted.

I won't do spoilers, but those of you who think that the pace of the show has been leisurely so far this season need to watch this episode.

Quality series like Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, and a handful of others know how to string out plot lines and allow tension to build across episodes, rather that resort to the standard formula of "two car chases, one foot chase, one fight, and one shooting per episode" that lesser quality shows seem to require.

Good shows have a few episodes that develop the tension, let it ride across to the next episode, and then all hell breaks out.

Your thoughts?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    At least Raylan can still shoot. This episode really picked up the action for the rest of the season. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,570 Senior Member
    Agreed...btw did anyone else figure out who Drew Thompson is last episode? I'd say I'm about 95% certain.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    NO SPOILERS!!! We DVR'd it and haven't watched it yet.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    Agreed...btw did anyone else figure out who Drew Thompson is last episode? I'd say I'm about 95% certain.

Yes! I'll PM you and see if we think the same.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    One thing to remember, when somebody tells Raylan "Get out of my way or I'll have to shoot..." you better take cover quick.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Best line a couple of weeks ago, guy was holding a girl with a knife, Raylan says "I'm gonna count to one" bad guy jumps out the window. :cool2: Later,
    Fat Billy

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member

Did last night, they made it kinda obvious...

Also that "cigarette butt" is going to bring stuff into the light and one "newcomer" is going to go into the long sleep and this time it is not going to be Raylan doing the shooting...Great show!, slow start this season on Raylan's trigger time but he is now "2 for 2".

Raylan carries a Glock in 45 acp and it seemed to me that it has always been a Glock 21 but on a couple of instances lately it seemed like a Glock 30?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi wrote: »

Raylan carries a Glock in 45 acp and it seemed to me that it has always been a Glock 21 but on a couple of instances lately it seemed like a Glock 30?

In the first season he had a new gun every episode. They made a point about the guns he used to kill people becoming evidence. He's killed a lot of people so a lot of guns are in evidence. I think later in the show they may have gotten a bit more lazy about it.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    Just caught the latest episode, reveal of Drew and the rush to get him away from the mob has me on edge for the next weeks showdown. Find it funny that the actor playing the heavy for the mob also has a recurring role on Glee. (Don't ask me how I know this- not proud of it.)
    The problem is, every time he uses a gun it is impounded as evidence and the backlog on cases keeps them on ice. Besides it wound cost too much to use Kimbers. If he is carrying a 9mm he triple taps the target, 40 and 45s he only double taps the target. Check it out. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    BLAM!

"I hope I got that right"

:rotflmao:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,717 Senior Member
    When I grow up, I want to be like Bob.

"Drewbaca":rotflmao:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    SPOILERS

SPOILERS

That constable sure has some grit to him, they did a great job of setting up his "knife skills" I was salivating waiting for it to come into action!

They are building up that confrontation between Colt and the other Marshal big time, better pay up!

How many think that "Drew" will escape, or "buy the farm?

Kinda have to go that way in order to keep Raylan where he is.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Drew was lucky the train is on schedule. I was disappointed that the showdown in the principal's office didn't remove some mafia boys from the pond, cousin Johnnie better pack up as well. Only two episodes left, Boyd has a lot to clean up too.
    I love the Gremlin patrol car.
    A buddy had an AMC pacer with V-8, that thing would haul a$$, you could burn Dad's tires off the rims with that thing. Gremlins though I don't know if they put anything high out put wise in them. Constable Bob will play hob trying to replace his windows that got shot out.

Well, Justified is quite a bit better on their firearm non-mistakes than most other shows, but it's possible that the Glock morphed into a 30 and back to a 21. I don't remember that, however. Seems to me that his pistol was always larger than a 30. But you may be right. I don't think it has anything to do with his gun getting impounded after a shoot, though. That's too much background history and even though it would happen in real life, this is TV after all.

Despite ups and downs, still a fun show to watch, one of the best right now.

samzhere wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with his gun getting impounded after a shoot, though. That's too much background history and even though it would happen in real life, this is TV after all.

I know early in the first season there was an exchange with Art where he took Raylan's gun and put it in an evidence bag and into his safe and explained to him he'd get it back once it was no longer evidence. I want to think it happened other times in that season, but it happened while he and Art here talking about other things but they didn't bring specific attention to it. I even think Art made a joke late in the season asking Raylan if he had any guns left or something like that. I haven't noticed them paying as much attention to it in later seasons, but then Raylan hasn't been killing people every episode like he was in the beginning either.
    -DoctorWho
    All Glocks look the same to me!
    Second to last episode was last night. Most of the episode seemed to be wrapping up loose ends after the episode before which was the real climax of the season. I actually thought this was the season finale until the very end....

*Spoiler alert* (plus wild speculation on my part!)

Seriously if you haven't seen this week's episode close the window right now...

Still here? Ok just know I warned you

I'm pumped for the season finale next week. Honestly, while I don't know if the writers will go there, I hope that the pregnant ex-wife never makes it out of that rocking chair alive! Not just because I hate her character (and the actress who plays her has a larger role on the FOX show "the following"), but because I can't wait to see what that would do to Raylan in season 5! Seriously how awesome would it be to see Raylan (possibly teaming up with Boyd who also seems to be on the outs with the DET boys) wrecking a Sherman's march like swath of vengeful destruction straight up I-75 all the way to Detroit? Theo Tonin doesn't stand a chance! Raylan has always been straddling the line of law/outlaw but the loss of his unborn child could send him into full on beast mode! This is all wild, wishful speculation, but how awesome would that be?
    -DoctorWho
    alpha, excellent ideas on the final episode of the season. We eagerly await.

Chris, I have to agree that the baby mama won't survive the season finale. Characters like Raylan don't have families; in order to function to their full capacity, they can't have the distraction.

And I think the loss of his family will be the catalyst for his personal war against the Detroit mafia, and a temporary partnership with Boyd seems likely. After which, of course, his job will be in jeopardy, but something will come into play that 86s the Service's case against him, but Art will know the truth and will always have that "nudge,wink" to use against Raylan when he needs to.

Going to be a long summer until the next season after next week...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    When I saw that rocker I figured she was sitting on a bomb encased in that fluffy pillow...
    And I was dead wrong! Upon thinking about it some more, I'm kinda glad I was. My alternative plot would have been a bit cliche and over the top for a show this well written. Overall I was satisfied with this season and with finale even though it ended more with a sigh than with an epic climax and will eagerly look forward to the next one.
    -DoctorWho
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    When I saw that rocker I figured she was sitting on a bomb encased in that fluffy pillow...

Me too! Glad I was wrong, she sure showed her Kentucky woman fire, didn't she? That's why I'm always nice to the Wife!

NRA Endowment Member
    Makes you wonder what Raylan was thinking in the last scene while drinking the beer. Too bad his thirty day suspention will last a year for us. Can't wait! :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

And I was dead wrong! Upon thinking about it some more, I'm kinda glad I was. My alternative plot would have been a bit cliche and over the top for a show this well written. Overall I was satisfied with this season and with finale even though it ended more with a sigh than with an epic climax and will eagerly look forward to the next one.

Agreed. Having Raylan's gal blowed up might have been a bit too much. Now, the shoe's on the other foot for a while.

It's kinda funny... girlfriend and I were watching a rerun of a Law&Order episode (they all run together after a while) and in it, you had the typical TV cop scene, where the bad guy has hidden behind a hostage (one of the other cops) and the other cops have their guns pointed at him, telling him to surrender. Naturally, typical of all TV cop shows, there is a non-shooting resolution. Whereas in real life, the bad guy would be shot in about 3 seconds.

And I mentioned laughing to my girlfriend, how that non-shooting wouldn't work with Raylan. Sure enough, that evening, we get his special solution to the problem: shoot 'em all.

I think I've read that Justified has already been greenlighted for 2 new seasons. At that point, I'm thinking the show will likely have run its natural course. But good "cop" shows are sad to say goodbye to: "Homicide" being my fave, with "The Badge" and Hill Street, a few others too.

I was a HUG fan of "Homicide" and of course also of "The Wire" both created by the same fellow who ran with the Baltimore police for a while to get a front seat view of real police life, to me "The Wire" is simply put the best ever thing created for television.

Never considered killing Rayland's mom to be ex wife an option, as tough as he is that would had changed him way too much for the character and show to go along. Many folks (not here) where also predicting that his boss would be killed as well and Rayand would then be in charge, another no sense plot course, things had to stay pretty much the same to keep on going and IMO they found a reasonable way to do so.

SPOILER COMMING....Rayland made a comment on the last episode that he was carrying a Glock 26, he loves the plactic guns and he still is cool but seems he got tired of the 45 acp?

Now his "buddy - Boyd" going into the heroin trade with the "big boys" might cross the line of being Rayland's childhood buddy and sort of "alter ego" and that worries me.
    Boyd is pissed he isn't ther lead star so he may need to go. Maybe? :yesno: Later,
    Fat Billy

I was a HUG fan of "Homicide" and of course also of "The Wire" both created by the same fellow who ran with the Baltimore police for a while to get a front seat view of real police life, to me "The Wire" is simply put the best ever thing created for television.

Never considered killing Rayland's mom to be ex wife an option, as tough as he is that would had changed him way too much for the character and show to go along. Many folks (not here) where also predicting that his boss would be killed as well and Rayand would then be in charge, another no sense plot course, things had to stay pretty much the same to keep on going and IMO they found a reasonable way to do so.

SPOILER COMMING....Rayland made a comment on the last episode that he was carrying a Glock 26, he loves the plactic guns and he still is cool but seems he got tired of the 45 acp?

Now his "buddy - Boyd" going into the heroin trade with the "big boys" might cross the line of being Rayland's childhood buddy and sort of "alter ego" and that worries me.

His saying "Glock 26" was probably just a scriptwriter's error. G26 is a small 9mm compact and Raylan carries a larger gun, and it's likely still the G21. btw, it's "Raylan", no "d".

Well, the character of Boyd is one thing, the actor playing him another. From what I'd read, actor Walton Goggins campaigned long and hard to boost his character's place in the series. Goggins himself is not only an actor, but writer, poet, and seems a pretty sharp guy. Of course the show creators/showrunners make the ultimate decisions but Boyd has become Raylan's alter ego (as you correctly say), someone whom Raylan might have easily become if paths had differed. Now, of course, as Boyd's criminal activity picks up, his longterm childhood and "truce" with Raylan may suffer.

Show has maybe 2 seasons to run. I'd expect the finale to feature a showdown between Raylan and Boyd. Not that this is much of a surprise, of course.