You can't eat venison

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
Louisiana has done lost its mind. No more donated venison for homeless shelters.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/health-dept-homeless-cant-eat-deer-meat.html

(Mods, if this should go in Hunting, feel free.)
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Thanks; Mods, you can delete.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Louisiana has done lost its mind. No more donated venison for homeless shelters.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/health-dept-homeless-cant-eat-deer-meat.html

(Mods, if this should go in Hunting, feel free.)

I bet if they turn over enough rocks, they'll find the Bunny Huggin' Liberals behind all this. This just wreaks of it!!! But in Louisiana???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Thanks; Mods, you can delete.

If it were up to me, I'd put it in the politico-2nd amendment file. I still think this is about politics. This looks like an attack by antis. They know hunters contribute and that gets in their way. They can't have us right winging hunters helping the poor. It looks bad on their agenda to stop hunting and get rid of guns.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    Used to be, no one cared. They used to give deer to the jails. Nowadays, it ain't like that. Everything has to be checked by USDA, which is bad for homeless shelters, but good for hamburgers to make sure you're not eating horsemeat. Jails and I assume all homeless shelters and other institutions have to be inspected to make sure they're not serving something unhealthy, even if it's free.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Used to be, no one cared. They used to give deer to the jails. Nowadays, it ain't like that. Everything has to be checked by USDA, which is bad for homeless shelters, but good for hamburgers to make sure you're not eating horsemeat. Jails and I assume all homeless shelters and other institutions have to be inspected to make sure they're not serving something unhealthy, even if it's free.
    Yep. From what I've read the issue is not with the venison, but rather poor interpretation of the rules concerning donated meat with regards to harvesting it and processing it.
    Overkill is underrated.