Home Main Category General Firearms

Recent movie mistakes about guns

1235»

Replies

  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand still no qualifications.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Oh I believe you that you got duds. I don't believe you are correct as to WHY.

    If you have a better theory, I'd be happy to hear it.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    The primer fits tight enough that oils or sweat won't penetrate them.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    Gentlemiant...
    I'd still like to know your qualifications. Why should we listen to you over others?


    Hi breamfisher,
    I DID try to post the note below, but something seems to have happened to it.

    I see what you're asking breamfisher. All the situations I mention are my personal experiences unless stated otherwise. Everything I've written is based on experience and logic. In the file I try to give enough info to make the logic evident.
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    Gentlemiant...
    I'd still like to know your qualifications. Why should we listen to you over others?

    Hi breamfisher,
    I DID try to post the note below, but something seems to have happened to it.

    I see what you're asking breamfisher. All the situations I mention are my personal experiences unless stated otherwise. Everything I've written is based on experience and logic. In the file I try to give enough info to make the logic evident.
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    No, you're trying to tell us how you know these things and have learned them. What qualifies you to teach? LE experience? Military? Tactical school experience? Your website (which I notice asks for money, if we feel so lead) is called "Expert Publications" but it doesn't tell us who the expert is, or how that person became an expert.

    For all we know, you're some 13-year old who's gathered some information and is just regurgitating it. Why should we listen to you if we don't know your background and how you came to these conclusions?


    Hi breamfisher,
    I DID try to post the note below, but something seems to have happened to it.

    I see what you're asking breamfisher. All the situations I mention are my personal experiences unless stated otherwise. Everything I've written is based on experience and logic. In the file I try to give enough info to make the logic evident.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    So, you've had to..

    disarm crowds, make a head shot, been shot/shot at, don't know how to fire DA (I guess that means revolvers are out), arrested folks, and had to "discribe" killing a person?

    Because I don't see anything that you've NOT stated to have been from your own personal experiences. And has been said, your ideas are outdated at best.

    Sorry, but I tend to listen to folks who have been there, not those who have read about it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Oh boy, and I thought I made an out of myself with my first few posts here. Come on dude, be serious. I myself and many others are not even quite sure of your age, but so far EVERYTHING you are saying seems very unfounded and unrealistic. For the love of God, not everybody on the net believes everything that they read. And you sir are not an exception. Please, before you are banned as a troll, take a minute to step back, see the errors of your ways and start over again. If you were to step in and say "yes boys I have been a douchebag," well we would give ya a second chance.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    If you have a better theory, I'd be happy to hear it.

    You had some bad ammo (it happens) ...sweat and or condensation had nothing to do with it...unless you disassembled the "duds" in question and discovered soggy paste where gunpowder should have been I will continue to claim that you condensation theory is all wet.

    I have carried for quite some time, and exposed many different brands of ammunition (Hornady, Federal, UMC, WWB) to the cold/hot cycle day in and day out (if anything will produce condensation, this will)...I've never had a failure in my carry ammo...

    any other maneuver used to try to discredit me,

    And for the record...I am NOT trying to discredit you...I'm pointing out that based on MY experience, YOUR conclusions are wrong...Prove me to be in error and I will gladly retract my statement...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • glc5011glc5011 New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    Its so true but not all bad, I spent hundreds of dollars trying to convert my Enfield to a Speed Sporter because of the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" with Val Kilmer
    ironduke wrote: »
    The Desert Eagle/Baretta thread got me thinking about recent Hollywood gun mistakes I have seen on TV.

    A few days ago there was an episode of Burn Notice where the mercenary approaching Michael has an M4 type rifle with a scope mounted on the flat top rail. problem is the scope is pointed BACKWARD!! Upon closer inspection, the scope is mounted on a QR type mount, but the levers of the mount ar on the right of the gun thus putting the occular bell forward. Obviously some prop guy mad a mistake.

    Last night I watched an episode of Rizzoli and Isles (a show my wife really likes), and it was full of gun flubs.
    1: The bullet recovered from the deceased was a jacketed, BT type bullet with a cannelure and "22 cal" It showed good expansion BTW
    2: it was determined that it had been deflected off a nearby field piece (revolutionary war reenactors were nearby, but they were able to precisely judge the original firing position of the bullet, which was a tree branch, BTW Upon said branch they recovered skin and cosmoline.
    3: The gun was later determined to be an Armelite AR7!, as you well know that is a 22LR chambered gun, tha wouldn't fire the type of jacketed bullt found in the deceased.

    Seriously, I could consult for Hollywood and save them a lot of embarassment.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,801 Senior Member
    Here is a different twist on the thread.

    I have watched the movie "Black Hawk Down" several ties over the years and I have come to the conclusion that it is among the best movie in terms of realistic gun use.

    I guess I should add that I read the book long before the movie came out and while the movie tried to stay true to the book, it does collapse multiple events into a smaller number and the movie does condense multiple characters into a few, but overall the movie does a good job of depicting consumate professionals surviving against incredible odds by virtue of sheer guts and training. I was pleasantly suprised at how realistic the gun use was in that movie.

    So, the question is this: what, if any, are the mistakes in gun use in the movie, "Black Hawk Down?"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Everything I've written is based on experience and logic.

    And in my experience, my logic is proven wrong more times than not.

    There are plenty of things that seem perfectly logical that just aren't true.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmm- - - - -I've checked my edition of "Cartridges of the World" pretty thoroughly, and unless the ".22 LR Hornet" is in the same category as a "Flux Capacitor" I'm going to call BS on our new member's so-called expertise. He didn't quite set a record for blatant lies in a first post, but it's a close call.
    Jerry

    I'm glad I didn't buy that 7.3 Mag RF in the back of MAD magazine, then. I guess there is no such thing as a semi auto lever action. Lord knows I would have looked dumb. I know that caliber only works in a full auto break top. ;-)
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    So, you've had to..

    disarm crowds, make a head shot, been shot/shot at, don't know how to fire DA (I guess that means revolvers are out), arrested folks, and had to "discribe" killing a person?

    Because I don't see anything that you've NOT stated to have been from your own personal experiences. And has been said, your ideas are outdated at best.

    Sorry, but I tend to listen to folks who have been there, not those who have read about it.

    In my previous post when I said: "situations", I meant any narative of a specific event. I have not disarmed any crowd. However I've thought what I would do if I had to. I believe if such a situation came up, it would be better to have a plan worked out rather than having to think of everything on the spot. So I shared my best thoughts on the subject. This comes under the heading of "logic". But if you or anyone else here has a better plan, I'd be glad to hear it.

    As I've stated before, I've never had to shoot anyone, also I've never been shot. And I attribute this to my habit of aiming for the head.

    I never said that I was either shot or shot at (unless you include someone shooting into the air). Only that I had faced bad guys that were threatening and some of which had a gun, were reputed to have, or claimed to have one.

    I never said that I didn't know how to shoot DA. But DA requires either a longer or heavier trigger pull than SA, or both. Either of these things are likely to decrease accuracy.

    I never said I arrested anyone, unless you want to include holding someone until the police arrived.

    I never killed anyone, but I did get the use "shoot to stop" instead of "shoot to kill" from a police instructor. So I expect it is in the training manuals.

    No need to apologize, If what I write doesn't make sense to you, don't use it. My writings are intended for those who think for themselves. I am strongly anti-elitist, which means that even if I had acceptable credentials I would be likely not to give them.
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    Oh boy, and I thought I made an out of myself with my first few posts here. Come on dude, be serious. I myself and many others are not even quite sure of your age, but so far EVERYTHING you are saying seems very unfounded and unrealistic. For the love of God, not everybody on the net believes everything that they read. And you sir are not an exception. Please, before you are banned as a troll, take a minute to step back, see the errors of your ways and start over again. If you were to step in and say "yes boys I have been a douchebag," well we would give ya a second chance.


    Hi ghostsniper1,
    You seem like a sympathetic sort, so maybe you can help me understand a few things.
    You say I should claim to be a "douchbag". I can't imagine why you would suggest I lie, so I'm supposing that you think I really am a douchbag.

    Now I run a site that is as free as you want it to be. And so far, everyone that's visited it has wanted it to be free. (Except for Bullsi of course. I think he thought it should pay for some advertizing. But he didn't indicate a willingness to pay either.)
    So why do I run such a potentially unprofitable site? Because I put things on it that I believe can help people. At least those that will read it with an open mind. And I want to be sure they can get it, even if they're afraid to put money out for a pig in a poke.
    So I'm going to assume that either you haven't read anything there, or that this isn't the reason you believe me to be a douchbag.

    Now on this forum, I have neither implied nor accused anyone of being a liar (as far as I remember. If I did, please remind and I will apologize). In fact I don't remember being rude at all. Instead I have diligently tried to clear up all misunderstandings as they've been presented (even though often, the presenter seemed rude to me.)

    Is this how I've become a douchbag??

    The only person that has seemed completely fair is Pegasus. I think he thought it likely that some of the things I've said were not true, but since he had no obvious proof, he did not call me dishonest names. Like most really intelligent people, he was willing to face uncertainty, and also apparently unwilling to bear false witness. On the other hand, most unobjective people seem to have to know, one way or the other, or at least pretend they do.

    One of the main "disagreements" seems to be the question of the bad ammo. Several have talked about how they've never had that problem, so therefor I couldn't have either. But none of them have even asked which ammo I was talking about!! Is this how they present scientific proof??

    Then there are those that criticize, nothing specific, just in general. Is that supposed to be helpful??

    Any way, if you think you can help, thx.
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You had some bad ammo (it happens) ...sweat and or condensation had nothing to do with it...unless you disassembled the "duds" in question and discovered soggy paste where gunpowder should have been I will continue to claim that you condensation theory is all wet.

    I have carried for quite some time, and exposed many different brands of ammunition (Hornady, Federal, UMC, WWB) to the cold/hot cycle day in and day out (if anything will produce condensation, this will)...I've never had a failure in my carry ammo...




    And for the record...I am NOT trying to discredit you...I'm pointing out that based on MY experience, YOUR conclusions are wrong...Prove me to be in error and I will gladly retract my statement...


    No, of course I don't take your stating facts as trying to discredit me. It was the "running up the flag", and Buffco's poletaking I was referring to.

    So, did you ever carry loads of Remington .22 LR all summer long during the years 1965-1985? If so, did they always shoot??
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    So... why should we listen to you over someone like Clint Smith, Jeff Cooper, or any one of the writers out there who has actually used a firearm in a true defensive situation?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    It was the "running up the flag",

    francis.jpg

    You sure got a thin skin there new guy!...hang around long enough and it will get a lot thicker......or it won't....


    So, did you ever carry loads of Remington .22 LR all summer long during the years 1965-1985? If so, did they always shoot??

    I believe that EVERYONE who has shot a .22 for any length of time has had a dud, but seriously? you're comparing rimfire ammo to centerfire ammo?...The failure rate in rimfire cartridges is normally quite a bit higher than centerfire...less so nowadays but still......

    Also...are you implying that you were carrying a .22 as a defensive firearm? :popcorn:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Next will be "vibrations from being in a vehicle will cause the powder to breakdown and not fire properly" ... I can't remember who but somebody proved that to be a myth (or B.S.) also.

    I was one of the crazy people involved in that test before the last forum crash. I vibrated some powder in a few cases for about 12 hours total in a vibratory tumbler and didn't end up with dust, just shiny powder sticks. That myth got busted pretty soundly, if I recall.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GentleMiantGentleMiant Member Posts: 32 Member
    So... why should we listen to you over someone like Clint Smith, Jeff Cooper, or any one of the writers out there who has actually used a firearm in a true defensive situation?

    Firstly, I doubt you can read everyone else's mind, so the question is not "why should we listen", but why should you listen. I'm sure others have their own ideas about why to listen to who, and what sounds reasonable to them. It appears that many have already decided not to take my ideas seriously. Good luck to them.

    I don't know Clint's and Jeff's points of disagreement with me, but I doubt it's concerning the need for accuracy. If I hear from them what points they disagree on, I will be glad to give them my reasoning, or change my point of view, as appropriate.

    Whatever their ideas are, if you know them, and you know mine, then it's obviously your decision.

    I don't know why you keep pursuing this. But if your questions don't get more specific, I hope you'll forgive me for not answering.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    Hi ghostsniper1, And so far, everyone that's visited it has wanted it to be free. (Except for Bullsi of course. I think he thought it should pay for some advertizing. But he didn't indicate a willingness to pay either.)

    You posed a link to your website where you ask people to pay you. That is a SPAM link. Pretty simple. If you want to drive traffic to your site so you can climb up in Google analytics and get more clicks, do it ELSEWHERE, or pay for an ad.
    At least those that will read it with an open mind.
    We did. And we rejected your advice as being ludicrous.

    You ask us to have an open mind, but you refuse to have one of your own.

    Since this thread has derailed completely, I am locking it. GentleMiant, if you want to participate on this board, please do. We would be glad to have you as a member, if you are willing to have an open mind.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement