Ruger is offering me a replacement firearm--What to do???

DurwoodDurwood Senior MemberPosts: 970 Senior Member
I sent in a Ruger firearm for repair (Again) and have been contacted with the following offer.

1) Have the gun returned unrepaired.

2) Choose any replacement rifle or revolver (not autoloading pistol) up to $1000 retail or so for in exchange for having my gun scrapped.

3) Choose any rifle or handgun at ~50% off retail minus the discounted price for my gun ($442).

In this scenario I can get a SR556 Varmint Target for $989-442= $547

or perhaps a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan for free???

Ideas, suggestions?

Since none of the current Ruger firearm lineup is of particular interest to me as far as replacing my gun I'm mainly looking at resale value...
You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,081 Senior Member
    Durwood wrote: »
    I sent in a Ruger firearm for repair (Again) and have been contacted with the following offer.

1) Have the gun returned unrepaired.

2) Choose any replacement rifle or revolver (not autoloading pistol) up to $1000 retail or so for in exchange for having my gun scrapped.

3) Choose any rifle or handgun at ~50% off retail minus the discounted price for my gun ($442).

In this scenario I can get a SR556 Varmint Target for $989-442= $547

or perhaps a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan for free???

Ideas, suggestions?

Since none of the current Ruger firearm lineup is of particular interest to me as far as replacing my gun I'm mainly looking at resale value...

Get one of their SR rifles at retail, sell it at a huge profit, buy two Rugers that you want.
  • jdmjdm New Member Posts: 27 New Member
    if you are looking at resale value then the 556 would be a no brainer. ARs are through the roof right now.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    What is the gun they couldn't fix?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    The only thing that "gets me" about the SR556 deal is the outlay of additional $$ Redhawk Alaskans bring a premium too most of the time and there would be no additional outlay... I have about a week to decide.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    I'd be all over the SR556VT but don't know what you've got money wise in what you are sending back. I picked up an SR556FB recently and have been very pleased.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I would get an SR1911..
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    It all depends what your into. Personally, it would be a no-brainer for the SR556 considering re-sale.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I would get an SR1911..

So would have I (The Commander) but these are made in the Arizona facility and aren't an option.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    Get one of their SR rifles at retail, sell it at a huge profit, buy two Rugers that you want.

This sounds like a plan.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    JKP wrote: »
    I'd be all over the SR556VT but don't know what you've got money wise in what you are sending back. I picked up an SR556FB recently and have been very pleased.

I would have about $1300 in it vs $750ish in a Redhawk Alaskan
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,442 Senior Member
    I would have about $1300 in it vs $750ish in a Redhawk Alaskan

$1300? What did you send in?

Right now, the 556 would likely net you close to $1k...You could sell the Alaskan for around $8-900.

Are you adverse to telling us what you sent in?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    As far as holding their value over time, I'd be all over a stainless, 4 or 5" Redhawk 45 colt.
    They're super scarce, and appreciating rapidly. That, or get the decked out bolt rifle of your dreams.

Personally, I would go for the free $1000 gun rather than having a $1300 out of pocket tied up in an overpriced AR.
    jbohio wrote: »
    As far as holding their value over time, I'd be all over a stainless, 4 or 5" Redhawk 45 colt.
    They're super scarce, and appreciating rapidly. That, or get the decked out bolt rifle of your dreams.

Personally, I would go for the free $1000 gun rather than having a $1300 out of pocket tied up in an overpriced AR.

Well, it wouldn't be free, lol, there just wouldn't be anymore outlay of cash for a Redhawk or anything in the $1000ish range (with the exception of any of the autos).
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Mini 14/30's are moving just as fast and just as marked up as AR's.Probably have better luck getting ahold of one. I haven't seen a Ruger AR in loooooong time, but mini's are still being shipped.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Before you choose the buy and resell the SR556 route, you need to really think about IF you can sell it for 2x as much as others said. I find it highly unlikely. Here's a glance at GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=SR556 . No VT listed, but I just don't see the panic crowd looking for a VT. They are more likely to look for "tactical"/scary or just plain old AR15s. There are over 3300 AR15's on GB right now so selling is going to be tough. You may try your luck at local forums, etc. but those tend to be even lower price than GB.

If you have the option of getting a standard SR556, I'd go with that instead. That's the one that will be on the chopping block with all of the evil features IF the ban goes through. The VT would be banned too with Feinstein's list, but it has significantly less ban features (fixed stock, no flash hider, no bayo lug). In the event that "compromises" happen, you may still be able to buy a VT after the ban. $1300 is actually the low end of pre-panic price for the SR556 so you will be getting a fairly decent deal. It's a piston-driven AR, not a typical AR and you're not going to find one for less than $1300 even a year or so ago. The down side is that 223/5.56 ammo is very difficult to find right now.

Now, if you absolutely see no reason to own an AR and feel that you need a revolver that you will use more often, then the decision is clear.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    I could not sell the Alaskan if one fell from the sky like that- why couldn't your gun be repaired?
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556E/models.html

I'd probably go with this one if I went the AR route.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    cpj wrote: »
    What would I do?
    First I would tell us what gun it was, what was broke, and why they couldn't fix it.

That really has nothing to do with my question. It was a gun that is no longer made and at least some parts are not available--particularly the part mine needed.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    I have some Rugers that are not made anymore. This is their warranty solution for obsolete firearms?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

I'd second that! It will be way less than $1300.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

That might be a good option. I would have to see what the discounted price is minus my $442 allowance. I'm guessing $250ish difference.

On the other hand it looks like A Redhawk Alaskan in .454 would probably sell for ~$1150 or so with no outlay.

While a Stainless Mini Thirty might bring $1200 or so...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    They're super scarce, and appreciating rapidly.
    My step-dad has a 4". I want to find one in 41 magnum some day. THAT is rare!
    That really has nothing to do with my question. It was a gun that is no longer made and at least some parts are not available--particularly the part mine needed.

It doesn't, but it's a matter of curiosity. A lot of people here may own the same one and it's helpful to know what model and why, which parts, so that we may know what to expect if we run into the same problem instead of sending it to Ruger and end up in your position. Think of it as a helpful public service announcement.

Al
    Buford wrote: »
    I have some Rugers that are not made anymore. This is their warranty solution for obsolete firearms?

They also offered a similar deal to a patron of a gun shop where I hang out. They had to return two LCRs for the guy because both of them broke due to no fault of the owner. This was their good faith option.
    mythaeus wrote: »
    It doesn't, but it's a matter of curiosity. A lot of people here may own the same one and it's helpful to know what model and why, which parts, so that we may know what to expect if we run into the same problem instead of sending it to Ruger and end up in your position. Think of it as a helpful public service announcement.

Al

I think this is a good idea, but probably as a separate thread and after my situation is resolved. They have been gracious in giving me some time to decide, but have said they prefer no longer than a week because of storage limitations.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    Pretty sure I would go for this one:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5026.html

4" .44mag. Yes, please.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jermanator wrote: »
    My step-dad has a 4". I want to find one in 41 magnum some day. THAT is rare!

Ask, and you shall receive!

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1030458/cleveland-ohio-handguns-for-trade--ruger-redhawk--41-mag---unfired-nib
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I would go for this one:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5026.html

4" .44mag. Yes, please.

Yeah, those are scarce, too. I've only run across 1 for sale locally in the last 3 years. Wanna take a guess where it is now? :tooth:
    I'm still looking for a 4" 45 to go with my 5.5"er.
    I saw a 5.5" stainless 44 a couple weeks ago, but, alas, the gun fund was lacking.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    Yeah, those are scarce, too. I've only run across 1 for sale locally in the last 3 years. Wanna take a guess where it is now? :tooth:
    I'm still looking for a 4" 45 to go with my 5.5"er.
    I saw a 5.5" stainless 44 a couple weeks ago, but, alas, the gun fund was lacking.

No layaway?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Nope, private sale. Cash.
    I had just bought a Zoli O/U the day before.