LGS advice

agewonagewon Senior MemberPosts: 655 Senior Member
It's official; After 3 months I have finally received my FID card. Needless to say ill be going first thing this weekend and trying to find myself a decent .22LR so I can get the ball rolling on safety and joining my local club.
Any advice so I don't go in with a sign on my forehead? I've fully accepted the fact that I'm a noob, but will have a hard time keeping my cool with someone who preys on such people. Ill happily take advice from ANY clerk but anything I should look out for in general?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Look out for a bunch of libtard politicians who make their citizens ask "Mommy May I" (get a card) before they exercise their Constitutional rights! I'm so glad I live in Tennessee!
    :angry::angry::angry:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Any LGS worth it's salt should take care of you just fine. Walk in, and state your situation and you should be well taken care of. Any place that does otherwise wouldn't get any of my money...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    you are the customer and you have the ability to just walk away so exercise that if you need to.

if you dont feel they are treating you as you like, then walk out and find another LGS.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Look out for a bunch of libtard politicians who make their citizens ask "Mommy May I" (get a card) before they exercise their Constitutional rights! I'm so glad I live in Tennessee!
    :angry::angry::angry:
    Jerry

Jerry...your post lately have gotten really crazy. You sound like my dad who is the angriest person on the planet. Lets go back to the old Jerry with good info. :)
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I would say go in and listen to what the counter is saying to other customers before they help you. If he is a talking head know it all then maybe that is not the gun shop for you. But if it seems like he is willing to show customers several options and explain the differences between each gun and help you decide the right one for you. If he is just pushing one kind of gun on your because HE likes it well then that is a situation to avoid. The great thing about the gun world is that we have an unlimited supply of experts. I do not like the ones that talk to much haha. Look at some things...go home and research them online and then go back and think about purchasing something.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Rifle or handgun? Semi or bolt action? Do you have a preference or just want something you can "learn" with?

I generally know what I want to see and do not care much what the counter man has to say. One place I visit they are generally very polite and ask me do I need some help and most times I tell em to help someone else when or if I find something I want to look at I will let them know. Generally the counter person has seen me before and they gp help someone else until I bother em. I generally let em alone even when I want to see something until they have helped the other customers. Another place I haven't been in enough that they really know me but I do them the same way, when I find something I need some info on or need them to let me hold it I know how to get their attention.

Knowing what I know now I think I would start with a 22 revolver. I'd try to find an older Ruger SP101 but the newer model would be ok (I like the older model because it is more like the larger caliber models and I would love to have one that is like my 357 SP101). The Ruger 22/45 is a good choice if you like the semi auto handguns (I have a Ruger MK II which has the more Luger style grip frame) I haven't touched an SR22 yet but hear that it is a good choice (my son has a Sig Mosquito and while we like it it is finicky on ammo, but then my MK II is somewhat finiky as well which is one reason I would get a revolver).

For a first rifle I believe I would get a bolt action 22 tho many many people like the Ruger 10/22 and honestly I want a takedown model myself.

I hate that your state forces you to get a card before you can even get a firearm. You need to join one group or another and work to get that changed.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    agewon wrote: »
    It's official; After 3 months I have finally received my FID card. Needless to say ill be going first thing this weekend and trying to find myself a decent .22LR so I can get the ball rolling on safety and joining my local club.
    Any advice so I don't go in with a sign on my forehead? I've fully accepted the fact that I'm a noob, but will have a hard time keeping my cool with someone who preys on such people. Ill happily take advice from ANY clerk but anything I should look out for in general?

...arm yerself, get edumacated...

...set a budget, start researching, check MSRP's, prices on Gunbroker, etc./ decide what you really want, say, either a heavy target barrel or a "trail gun" that's easy to pack around, see what makes/ models fit your wants & needs. Check reviews, ask for opinions on accuracy, reliability, ease of take down, any hidden "traps" so you have a fair idea of what you're getting into...

...then do a little window shopping, tell the LGS "these are the pistols/ revolvers I'm interested in, but I'm not very familiar w/ them, could you show me how they operate, & explain the +/- of each?" Handle as many as you can, see what fits comfortably in your hand. A hand gun should fit your hand & point naturally...
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    I think if you gave a little more information, folks Could give you a little more helpful information. For starters, where do you live? What is your long term goal? Do you want to hunt? do you want to protect your home? do you want to eventually evolve to a carry permit? All of these would determine which firearms and what direction to take.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info guys; more than likely ill be looking for a 10/22. Something to plink with and get everyone else in the family started with as I progress into larger calibers.
    However, a friend just told me that all the LGS are pretty much out of anything and everything so chances are, I'll be on the auction sites If that's the case. I'll keep you posted.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...for a "First Rifle" for you & the rest of the family, I'd strongly suggest considering a bolt over an auto-loader. Bolt-actions are a much better "training tool" for learning safety, sight picture, etc...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    I would say that you would probably have a better experience if you went in when they were not very busy. Be up front about your situation, and what you want/ need. You should be able to tell the attitude and treatment you will get in short order. A GOOD shop will see this as a chance to hook a long term customer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • agewonagewon Senior Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    Went to two stores today and have ruled out ever going back to one.
    The first stop, Heritage Guild, was packed. Being my first time, I just lingered around and waited for one of the guys to free up when someone came up to me and asked if I needed help. I explained that I was looking to buy my first rifle, a 22 bolt, and before I could finish mentioning the wife he says "safety training the wife and kids right". So he's obviously seen my kind before. I went on to say that I was new to shooting as well, and from there on, he was as professional as I could have hoped. Answered any questions, related them to his personal experience, and not once did he give me the impression that he wanted to hurry me along to get to a higher priced sale. The store was fresh out of 22s so he brought me over to the used section and showed me what was available. He had a really nice, used CZ 452 in Walnut with a scope. He was sure to tell me that the scope wasn't great quality and would probably need to be upgraded but he scored points for telling me. Price was 450. I told him I was going to do some shopping today so he told me that I had 3 choices. 1) put it back on the rack, 2) put it on lay-away so it would still be "mine" and 3) give him a deposit, fill out the paperwork, and if I didn't want it after looking elsewhere, I could get a transferable credit on the deposit. So being that a buddy of mine shops here all the time, I gave him the deposit, signed the paperwork and went on my way.
    Store two will remain nameless. I walked in to a large store and the actual showroom was only a quarter of the store. There were two guys working the store and one other customer. I looked a bit and the one salesman just sort of stared at me waiting for me to ask him a question. Finally he asked if he could help me and as soon as I told him I was looking for a 22 rifle she got a arrogant smirk on his face. So immediately I asked him "what does it say"? With his puzzled look I added "the tattoo on my forehead? What does it say"? To that he replied, uhh I'm six months late. When I should have walked out, I just asked again if he had anything available and he had to ask the other guy (the owner) what we had. "The two black ones, and the two wood ones". Now I have read that the owner is quite knowledgable so I concluded that the guy helping me wasn't if that's the answer he got. Like saying "the big yellow one is the sun".
    So as he looks I figure I'd fill him in that its for safety classes and that I'd like my kids to learn with. With that, he points to the "black one" and says "230$, that's perfect for you". All he saw was the back of my head and my wallet laughing at him as we walked out.