Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Why am I so skeptical?

http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_22690768/house-gun-bill-focuses-background-checks-weapon-bans
Bans on assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines are virtually off the table in the gun control debate at the Minnesota Legislature.

The head of the House public safety panel on Thursday, Feb. 28, unveiled his gun violence prevention bill, focusing on expanding background checks for prospective buyers, stiffening penalties for those who sell to disqualified people and prosecuting gun crimes.

Rep. Michael Paymar, DFL-St. Paul, had a three-day discussion on gun control that drew hundreds daily to the Capitol earlier this month, examining nearly a dozen bills to change Minnesota gun laws. Paymar, chairman of the Public Safety Finance and Policy Committee, said he wanted to focus on keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them and that would attract broad consensus.

"We've compiled what we think is a good bill that we think can pass out of committee, that can pass the Legislature and get the governor to sign it," Paymar said.

His DFL counterpart in the Senate also said bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines would not be included in his bill.

Paymar was joined by police chiefs and rank-and-file officers, who said out of all the gun legislation introduced this session, expanding background checks to all purchases and transfers was their top priority.

"For us, this is the centerpiece of all of the firearm legislation," said Dennis Flaherty, executive director of the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association.

"Not only would it be a huge disappointment for the police community but all of the citizens in the state if at that end of the session, this doesn't end up on the governor's desk for his signature."
A KSTP/SurveyUSA poll released earlier this month found most Minnesotans favor changes to gun laws. About 75 percent survey said they supported background checks on anyone who wants to buy a gun.

Gun control laws may have the best chance in years to pass with DFLers now in control of the Minnesota Legislature. But guns are far from a party-line issue in the state. Many rural DFLers are reluctant to support legislation that might appear to step on the rights of gun owners; even gun-control advocates admit it will be a tough battle to get bills passed.

The National Rifle Association opposes universal background checks, arguing they will never be "truly 'universal' because criminals will not submit themselves to the system. And the NRA has plenty of political clout in Minnesota -- particularly an active membership and highly publicized report card giving politicians a grade of A through F on gun issues.

"As long as they remain steadfast opposed to it, there are going to be members that won't cross that line," Paymar said. "That's why we'll have to win over some people and change their hearts and minds on this issue."

Paymar also cautioned that his bill is one of many going through the Legislature right now to prevent gun violence. Proposals to improve access to mental health programs, both in schools and in the community, are being proposed to address gaps in Minnesota's mental health system.

"We see this as a piece of the puzzle, not the whole part," Paymar said.

So, why am I still very skeptical? I'm missing something, I know it. Of course, I'm not sure the actual bill is available to view yet, at least, I can't find the details yet. So maybe that will answer my question. Or is it that last quoted sentence? Like Paymar tipped his hand a little, and is showing us this universal registration, that he wants us to focus on & arguing against, while allowing something more nefarious to slip through!
Yeah sure, you can say that my .380 is underpowered, but I'm betting you wouldn't want me shooting you in the face with it!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    He's a politician- - - -if his lips are moving, it's a good bet that he's either lying to you, or he's misdirecting your attention away from whatever sleight-of-hand trick he's getting ready to pull. Tall trees, short ropes, and politicos swinging in the wind- - - - -that's the best answer!
    Jerry
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Universal background checks are the first step towards confiscation. IMO that's even worse than a ban that may be rescinded at some later date.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug