Home Main Category Hunting

Shotgunning coyotes

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
With Kentucky about to approve night hunting coyotes, Shotgun only, trying to figure out best shotgun/load combination. It has to be multi-projectile, so: 1). I have a 12 ga. of course,and some duplex shells,(#4 over #6's) but would the Win.1400, 20ga. with #4's be large enough? ( If I can find #4's in 20 ga.) 2). I have a good shooting Mossberg 500 in .410 and plenty of 3" with three # 3 "0" 's but is the .410 capable? It shoots like a rifle .I haven't found the .410 in # 4's. do they make them?. Anyone using the shotgun for Coyotes. Rifle still approved for daylight. I'll use my .204 for that time of day. 3). What choke would do best....Don't think "00" will be aproved, but may be.
Thanks Guys, I know the responses will be top notched... Lot's of good advice here....

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
    My son hunted them with 00 and 12 ga; but, IMO #4 buck.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,315 Senior Member
    I don't care for 00 buck for coyotes....#4 buck on the other hand is my current go-to load. If you're considering using birdshot, use the heaviest you can find, #2 OR BB...
    I'd leave the .410 at home.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    Hevi-Shot makes a line for coyote. Smallest they have is T-shot. I would go with that, or #4 buck for lead.

p_105200212_1.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    80gr 2f GOEX with 1 1/4oz #4 buck through a thirty thousandts jug choked 16ga will do the job 100% out to 40-45 yards :tooth:
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I don't care for 00 buck for coyotes....#4 buck on the other hand is my current go-to load. If you're considering using birdshot, use the heaviest you can find, #2 OR BB...
    I'd leave the .410 at home.
    I'm thinking of leaving the .410 at the LGS..... cannot use on turkeys either.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I can't believe state biologists would not allow shotguns with slugs. I can see maybe not using rifles at night, but Slugs? I guess they have their reasons, but that sounds like over control to me. That's right up there with not allowing hogs to be killed over feed. Of course here we allow feeding deer as well as our biologists figured out a long time ago that the benefits far outweighed the disadvantages. Some ranches feed all year long. And as for luring a BIG buck in, that rarely happens. Those big bucks didn't get old and big by being stupid. They come to feeders, but at night.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Coyotes are tough critters, but not armor plated. #4 20 gauge ammo in a full chocked red-dot sighted shotgun is effective out to </= 50 yards or so. I know of folks who use just such a rig for coyotes in confined areas where a CF 22 is ill advised.

Depending how educated the dog is, one should be able to call one to within 50 yards without too much difficulty. Coyotes around here tend to hang up around 100-250 yards out. At night it would be next to impossible to spot them unless one is using some sort of light or NVG.

Is the use of a light also legal?

In Texas, a call to the local game warden is advised when hunting varmints (I include pigs in this category) at night so they don't scramble for a reported folks spotlighting deer.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    While rifle bullets will travel farther than slugs, they will also more readily break up on contact with brush and what not. A one ounce slug has a lot of weight to it, and will likely (not always mind you) travel further through brush.
    A .223 with a varmint bullet is FAR safer than a 12 gauge slug. The varmint bullet if it exits, won't go far. A one ounce slug will go through a coyote and keep right on trucking.

Just ask jbohio what's it sounds like when a slug goes whistling past you...... You can hear the difference if it already hit something and is tumbling.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    While rifle bullets will travel farther than slugs, they will also more readily break up on contact with brush and what not. A one ounce slug has a lot of weight to it, and will likely (not always mind you) travel further through brush.
    A .223 with a varmint bullet is FAR safer than a 12 gauge slug. The varmint bullet if it exits, won't go far. A one ounce slug will go through a coyote and keep right on trucking.

That's probably very true. We don't have to worry that much about it here because if you're on a ranch or farm, your projectile will probably never leave the property. Wide Open Spaces are nice to hunt on.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The only way bullets would leave the property I hunt on is if you fired them straight up in the air! :tooth:

Yep same here or more like a 45 degree angle and then you better not be in the back of the property.
    Also, you better not go out there with a little gas or no spare tire, because it's a good long walk to the hiway. Where we hunt is at the back of an 8500 acre ranch along a river. It's 1.5 miles from the barn which is a mile from the hiway.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Last time I carried a shotgun for 'yotes, it had a load of lead 4 buck. Frankly, a stout load of BB or even #2 will get it done at close enough range. As was stated by cpj, a V-max is way safer option than a lead slug if for no other reason that it's frangibility. I have personally witnessed V-max bullets (through a scope at fairly long range) shatter into bits instantaneously when hitting brush or grazing the ground, and the litte shards they break into fly MAYBE 40 yards from the POI.

A neat sidenote is that the shards from a fragged V-max will tend to skip in the direction of the rifling spin, so a V-max sent from right hand twist barrel will send a scatter of itty bitty bullet bits a shade to the right. You can, if fact, kill a pdog on a off-kilter impact axis to the POI if you skip the little bits into him with a close enough miss. Ask Linefinder, JerryBobCo or rapier if you think I'm fibbing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-condor-outback.php

Been thinking about getting one of these to bring along with my savage .223
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-condor-outback.php

Been thinking about getting one of these to bring along with my savage .223

I like it and would feel much better taking a <$500 gun out in the bay or in a rice field than taking my Citori.
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Hey sarg1c, when are they opening coyotes up for night hunting? I looked on the kdfwr website and couldn't find anything about it. What are the laws concerning lights, bait, etc.?
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Jim Tom wrote: »
    Hey sarg1c, when are they opening coyotes up for night hunting? I looked on the kdfwr website and couldn't find anything about it. What are the laws concerning lights, bait, etc.?
    I talked to some wardens Sat. Night in Ashland. We had a dinner at the Northeast Kentucky fish and game club and two wardens were there. They said it had passed and was sent to the game commission to look it over,they will set the gun/shot combo. I do know it will not be a single projectile,lights and calls are o.k. If I find out anything, I'll post or send you smething.
    I'll be using my Win.1400 ,20ga. And #4 shot, if I can find any...
    Are you after regular #4 birdshot or #4 buck? Birdshot that small might be a little light.
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Sounds good, sarg1c. I hollered at one of them varmits as it was chasing the neighbors cat through my yard last week around 0500. Glad my "call" will be legal now:cool2:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    During a turkey hunt on my place a few years ago, a friend nailed a yote with two close-range rounds of #5 lead shot from a 3" 12 gauge, probably 20 yards or so. He rolled the critter with both shots, but it got up and ran off. We never found the carcass!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    During a turkey hunt on my place a few years ago, a friend nailed a yote with two close-range rounds of #5 lead shot from a 3" 12 gauge, probably 20 yards or so. He rolled the critter with both shots, but it got up and ran off. We never found the carcass!
    Jerry

Yeah, that's what I would think would happen. That's why I wanted to claify on what kind of "#4 shot" sarg1c was talking about. Now, a #4 BUCKSHOT load, I can personally attest, will knock the snot out of a coyote at 20 yards. With #4 birdshot, I doubt you would fare much better than the story you just described.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I prefer #4 buckshot for close range coyote hunting. ie. calling in or near thick cover. Even using 2 3/4" 12 ga., you're throwing 27 lead pellets that are .24" diameter! Lethal.....
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!