Home Main Category Hunting

Headed out on my first ever ground hog hunt.

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,642 Senior Member
Been seeing quite a few out grazing along the sides of the road while traveling, so am headed up to where I deer hunt to see if I can find any grazing on the greenfields or the edges of the hayfield. HOPEFULLY I'll get to introduce some to either a 60gr V-Max or a 55gr RRLP. (Or maybe both so I can compare the damage)

Range report to follow.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good luck, Paul!
    If a whistlepig hasn't been shot at he's usually an easy target, but be aware he's never going to be more than a few feet away from his burrow. You'll usually get only one shot, so make the first one count! They sit up on their haunches often, so wait for it. The vertical target area just about triples when one's upright. I like to find one somewhere in the 250-400 yard distance, as sub-200 yard shots are too easy. My Ruger M77 .22-250 with the Hogue stock and the Harris bipod is a really good groundhog rig. Have fun!

10689Ruger_22-250_001.jpg

Jerry
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Be careful - they bite!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,642 Senior Member
    Jerry, with this being my first time (changing shoes at the moment) My hope is to at least SEE one of the darned things. The way most of the hay & green fields are set up, it'll be TOUGH getting much over a 200-250 yard shot. So the 223-20" "hunting" upper should handle that nicely :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Six-Gun wrote: »
    Be careful - they bite!

Hopefully not after eating a V-max or RRLP. I'm hoping that will satisfy their appetite

I like to hunt them right after the first hay cutting in mid-May, usually. The grass is a few inches tall then, instead of a foot or more, and the young, dumb ones are out. It doesn't take long for them to get educated, especially if they experience a close miss a time or two. They spook and sprint for their hole at every provocation. I've been spotted from 300+ yards several times.
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Good luck, Paul!
    If a whistlepig hasn't been shot at he's usually an easy target, but be aware he's never going to be more than a few feet away from his burrow. You'll usually get only one shot, so make the first one count! They sit up on their haunches often, so wait for it. The vertical target area just about triples when one's upright. I like to find one somewhere in the 250-400 yard distance, as sub-200 yard shots are too easy. My Ruger M77 .22-250 with the Hogue stock and the Harris bipod is a really good groundhog rig. Have fun!

10689Ruger_22-250_001.jpg

Jerry

I remember the 'chip shot' you made from your back door when I first came over...........IIRC it was about 45yds with a 30.06 :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    Can they be eaten?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Can they be eaten?

They can. I've heard some say it's OK, some say it's awful. I leave the eating to the coyotes and buzzards.

They're like overgrown prairie dogs, and their holes are 5 times as big.

Good luck, Paul!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,912 Senior Member
    Can't be worse than javelina.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    orchidman wrote: »
    I remember the 'chip shot' you made from your back door when I first came over

The ones that undermine the barn foundation don't get any slack at all! I'll bet it looks like a honeycomb under there by now!
    :cuss:

I had a neighbor a few years ago who would eat every one I brought him. He said there were some musk glands inside the back legs that absolutely had to be removed, or it was impossible to even stay in the house while one was cooking, and the meat would be completely inedible. I never accepted his invitation to share one with him!
    Jerry
    Readers digest condensed range report......

Saw nothing, shot same.

Though that's not entirely true, did sit down and pop 2 anthills in the last field, just to practice both my field shooting AND range estimation.

With my typical luck, of course I saw 2 ground hogs grazing on the shoulder of the road within the first 2 miles after getting back on the pavement :roll:

cpj wrote: »
    You know where to find a groundhogs hole?
    in the ground

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    in the ground

Something tells me that's not where Chris was headed with that......:roll2:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,189 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Can't be worse than javelina.

I've tried javelina that was absolutely inedible, and some that was very good, much like fresh pork. The old boars are NOT good. They young piglets and sows are good.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,912 Senior Member
    That was my problem, then.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Something tells me that's not where Chris was headed with that......:roll2:

Mike
    Possibly, or it could be no matter which one I answered, he was going to go the other way :rotflmao:

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Paul,

My friends see ground hogs on their way to their shooting spots so often they have a prepped pistol to take advantage.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Paul, iffin you have any kudzu patches around I guarantee you that there will be a groundhog in it or along the edge. There is nothing they like better to munch on, and kudzu provides excellent cover.

Used to be an old man up home who was a rural mail carrier. Name was Will Dills, and he had a couple of Fox Terriers that he used to help dig groundhogs out with. He honestly dug the darn things out of their burrows, talking to them the whole time he was digging. Will ate them with relish!
    Dan, with where these 2 were, shooting them wasn't a legal (or safe) option :tissue:

Rich, No kudzu up around where I hunt (yet), but plenty of alfalfa and bahia hay (which is still brown) and quite a few green fields that are still pretty and green.

I walked to/around the high ground near them, glassing the edges Closest I came to shooting a "critter" was a crow on the ground that spooked & flew from ~200 yards away as I was setting up for the shot

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    Will ate them with relish!

You could marinate them in Jack Daniels and cover them with chocolate and I still wouldnt be tempted!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Hopefully not after eating a V-max or RRLP. I'm hoping that will satisfy their appetite

Yeah, but won't eating the lead stunt their growth??? (Spoken like a true Bunny Hugger, :roll2: )
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Readers digest condensed range report......

Saw nothing, shot same.

Though that's not entirely true, did sit down and pop 2 anthills in the last field, just to practice both my field shooting AND range estimation.

With my typical luck, of course I saw 2 ground hogs grazing on the shoulder of the road within the first 2 miles after getting back on the pavement :roll:

This sounds like MY suck luck. With me it's aways, "Man you shoulda been here last week" or "Too bad you gotta get back so soon, next week they should really be moving." Sometimes it SUCKS to be me!!! :jester:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    orchidman wrote: »
    You could marinate them in Jack Daniels and cover them with chocolate and I still wouldnt be tempted!

Yeah, but if you do that at least you can drink the sauce...
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I've tried javelina that was absolutely inedible, and some that was very good, much like fresh pork. The old boars are NOT good. They young piglets and sows are good.

I've never tried to cook Javelina, but I have eaten it. The person that served it to me claimed there are glands, just like was said about ground hogs, in its back that have to be removed. Then it is good, or so he said. Whatever, what he served me was excellent.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Haven't seen any up my way lately........Really too bad..... as they would stand out like a sore thumb with the whitebackground
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,263 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    They can. I've heard some say it's OK, some say it's awful. I leave the eating to the coyotes and buzzards.

They're like overgrown prairie dogs, and their holes are 5 times as big.

Good luck, Paul!

I always threw the carcass back in the hole. Supposed to keep any other groundhogs from using the hole or digging nearby. Didn't do a scientific study on it, but it seemed to work.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Hey, Paul. Getting the thread back on track. Groundhogs can be baited.
    1. Find active groundhog holes
    2. Bait with old pithy apple slices, watermellon or some fresh sweet corn cut in short pieces.
    3. Place bait out several yards from active holes early in the morning and wait
    4. Choot, Paul, choot!

Yes, I've baited groundhogs, and it works. They also like cantaloupe, but I do, too. That's how and why I started baiting them cantaloupe stealing varmints! Nobody, NOTHING, messes with my cantaloupes! :guns:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I always threw the carcass back in the hole.

Hanging a coyote carcass on a barbed-wire fence cut down pretty dramatically on the pack that was running our area approaching close to the house. We were seeing them within 200 yards or so of the cattle feeder hay rolls before my son shot a big female and hung the body on the pasture fence.
    Jerry
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,263 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hanging a coyote carcass on a barbed-wire fence cut down pretty dramatically on the pack that was running our area approaching close to the house. We were seeing them within 200 yards or so of the cattle feeder hay rolls before my son shot a big female and hung the body on the pasture fence.
    Jerry

Knew a guy who would hang a groundhog carcass from a tree over the creek on his farm. The maggots would fall off into the water and chum bluegills and yella bellies........

Side note... The state DNR started releasing saugeye into the local lakes. Then they got into the local rivers and creeks. I haven't caught a yellow belly in over 20 years.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    Hanging a dead crow is supposed to keep crows out of fruit trees and gardens, works on me.