Home Main Category Hunting

Headed out on my first ever ground hog hunt.

2»

Replies

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Can they be eaten?

Tried a prairie dog once. (yes, it was a "dare/bet") It wasn't bad, bout like eating a older jack rabbit. Of course it was cooked to just short of burnt.

People eat possum, so why couldn't a rodent such as a ground hog, prairie dog, rock/wood chuck be decent table fare.

I am sure you will enjoy the hunt. A day on dirt instead of pavement is good. Will the 6.5 Grendel be on standby for this outing?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hanging a coyote carcass on a barbed-wire fence cut down pretty dramatically on the pack that was running our area approaching close to the house. Jerry

Maybe the same system would work on democrats..................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,202 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Side note... The state DNR started releasing saugeye into the local lakes. Then they got into the local rivers and creeks. I haven't caught a yellow belly in over 20 years.

What's a yellow belly?

I know that there are colloquial names often used for various species of fish, but I'm not familiar with this one.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Maybe the same system would work on democrats..................

Nah. It's an aphrodisiac to them; makes them go into rut right there, and stay in rut as long as it's there. :tooth:
    If there is ever an open season on them, that could be some handy information to know, though! :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,269 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    What's a yellow belly?

I know that there are colloquial names often used for various species of fish, but I'm not familiar with this one.

Yellow Bullhead catfish......

Yellow-Bullhead.jpg

Used to catch them in every lake, river, and creek I fished....... Not since the saugeye proliferatation
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    We always waited until the first hay cutting before we shot ground hogs to allow the young of the year to become indepenent.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Yellow Bullhead catfish......

Yellow-Bullhead.jpg

Used to catch them in every lake, river, and creek I fished....... Not since the saugeye proliferatation
    That's one of the few catfish a commercial catfisher won't sell. Because they're so tasty. They also call them "butter cats."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    That's one of the few catfish a commercial catfisher won't sell. Because they're so tasty. They also call them "butter cats."

Weird. In Louisiana we'd mostly toss them back. Called them "mud cats". There was better tastin' cats in the water.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member

There's a few rivers and streams I know of that hold both yellow and/or black bullhead catfish. The creek running through my farm has quite a few in it. Mighty tasty morsels!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Throw them in the spring house for a couple days. Clean water does wonders.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Weird. In Louisiana we'd mostly toss them back. Called them "mud cats". There was better tastin' cats in the water.

Mike

That's what we still do here
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Can they be eaten?

the wife puts them in the crockpot with potatoes and all that stuff ....and some beef flavor stuff.................. youd never know it wasnt beef stew ....
    ....... biggest drawback is they knock the snot out of your knife edge while skinning
    the wife puts them in the crockpot with potatoes and all that stuff ....and some beef flavor stuff.................. youd never know it wasnt beef stew ....
    ....... biggest drawback is they knock the snot out of your knife edge while skinning

You still have them in PA? They have all but disappeared here.....