Home Main Category Personal Defense

Glaser Blue Safety Slugs

tommythegreektommythegreek New MemberPosts: 15 New Member
I went shooting today at the range and had a blast. I can definitely tell that my aim and technique, while still extremely newbish, is getting really good and comfortable. So before I left I needed to buy some home defense rounds for my .38. The salesman asked what I was looking for in a bullet and I told him that I needed something that isn't going to penetrate three walls and lodge itself into any of my three small children. He immediately brought out Glaser Safety Slugs and told me that in his home he swore by them since he had children as well. Needless to say I picked them up. I will never say that a bullet is too expensive as long as it puts down a BG and it doesn't go through the walls to my children's rooms. Being that I am still new to all of this I was wondering if you guys use or have used these bullets. You guys are the experts...I'm counting on you!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    They aren't my favorite. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of any of the prefragmented bullets.
    A lot of folks seem to swear by them though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    IMHO - take it for what it's worth - the Glasers are beyond HD/PD ammo and get into a specific specialty niche. When they hit the market, they were aimed at LE/security use in high-crowd areas or other situations where overpenetration would be a bad thing.

The "blue" used a finer internal shot size than the "silver" Glaser slugs, both were intended to expend all their energy in a "soft" target without passing all the way through. From all reports I've seen, they work as advertised. My only issue with Glasers is the price - for the cost of a six-round pack of Glasers you should be able to mostly cover the cost of most other 20 or 25-round boxes of premium HP ammo, giving you more ammo to practice with.

I know, I know - your life is worth much more than the cost of your ammo, but to encourage familiarity and verify function and point of impact from your selected gun, I'd want to run a number of the rounds in question under range conditions. THAT could get pricey with Glasers...
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    I'm a lot more paranoid about handgun rounds (being the relatively puny things that they are) not penetrating ENOUGH, so I'm really not a fan of the whole Glaser concept. Most of the top shelf hollowpoints have a tendency to by stopped by the skin or clothing on the far side of a human body. Such a round will tend to penetrate walls ONLY IF YOU MISS YOUR INTENDED TARGET FIRST. As such, I wouldn't trade a round that might penetrate walls IF I SCREW UP MY SHOT for a round that might not even make it to the center of my target's chest.

This brings us to one of firearm safety's most basic rules - be aware of your target, its surroundings, and what lies beyond. If your felon is standing in front of a school bus full of kids, it's your job to make the call either not to shoot, or to be so sure of your shot that there will be no negative consequences.

I'd be looking at a quality hollowpoint in the 125 to 158 grain range myself, or better still, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with largish birdshot (#4 to BB) or smallish buckshot (#4 to #1).
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I don't use them cause I live alone and may need to shoot through a door or wall, if necessary. IIRC, when they first came out, in the mid 70's, someone wrote an article for G&A about them. He was testing the .380s by shooting into slabs of meat, leaving huge shallow craters. A neighbor called and asked him to come over and put down a sick horse. I think he shot it from about 10 yds. The round went between the ribs and put the horse down for the count.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    My SW-686 in .357 Mag stays loaded with Glaser Blues. There's a lot of misconception about how they perform, it seems.
    I have zero scientific data to back any of this up, but my experience with them is.......

If the first thing they hit is inanimate (i.e. wood, drywall, etc.) they will penetrate more than common opinion says. I once shot a 2.5" diameter live sweet gum sapling with three of them. All three blew through the sapling (granted, not the hardest wood, but a heck of a lot tougher than a wall stud) and embedded in a large red-oak a couple feet behind it. So, my opinion, while they're probably not the best for blasting through bank-vault doors, they're gonna penetrate well enough against anything I'm liable to launch one at.

OTOH, I once shot a possum at ~10-12 feet with one. The bullet did not exit, but the critter's physical characteristics resembled a fur-covered bag of jello. I used one against a feral dog that decided my back deck was it's own turf and was willing to defend it. I hit it with a frontal center of chest shot at about 15 feet, and I honestly believe it was dead before it even saw the muzzle flash.

In my experience, the Glaser Blue works exactly as advertised. Not the best for all situations, by any means, but for what it's designed to do, I don't think you can beat it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Put me in the "not a fan" club...I put Glasers, Corbon PowR Ball, Sintered bullets, in the category of "trick" or specialty bullets...they may have a use in certain applications but for all around self-defense use I'll stick to a premium jacketed hollow point. You're already behind the eight ball if you're using a handgun to defend yourself, and given the wide parameters of a gunfight you don't know what you're going to end up having to shoot through... plate or auto glass? what if your assailant is in a car? Is kicking in your door and you don't really want to wait until he succeeds? Additionally, in my mind at any rate, one must be able to train with your SD ammo to some extent...the cost of some of these loads precludes that for the average person.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I will add a caveat to my prior post. My 686 is my "nightstand" gun. If it's ever used, I have a pretty good handle on the geographics of the area in which it will be employed. Truth is, this rig is a backup to the 12 gauge.

OTOH, my carry piece is a Kahr PM9. It's loaded with 124 grain Speer Gold Dots. I believe they are a much better choice than the Glasers for "anywhere is possible" scenarios.

Mike
    N454casull
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Though modern hollow-point bullet design and effectiveness has come a long way since Glasers came out , I still don't consider Glasers a 'trick' bullet. Glasers have a good street rep. Overpenetration and richocet are real concerns of mine. Massad Ayoob and some other professionals used to tout them very highly in the pages of Combat Handguns and American Handgunner. They did well in the somewhat controversial Marshall/Sanow street shooting results. I have all my house and carry guns loaded with Glasers. I've put down 2 dogs with .380s. Heard an ER/trauma surgeon describe a .45 Glaser wound channel as looking like a ".410 shotgun contact wound".
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I played around with those back when, just too expensive for Me to justify regular use.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I played around with those back when, just too expensive for Me to justify regular use.

At almost $2 a pop , it ain't plinking or target ammo. I think I ran a pak thru each gun to see how it functioned and where it hit.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    I'm glad to hear people have had good experiences with them. I've never been a fan of the whole idea but lately I've been considering loading them in my nightstand gun. The way my house is set up if I have to jump up in the middle of the night to deal with an intruder the wall to my kids bedroom could be right in front of me / behind intruder depending on which entrance the intruder came in.
    I'd also bet that the surgeons will miss a few pieces of that #12 shot the first time too. :guns:
    Well, I really like to fully test ammo, and back when I did, the good thing was the ammo did not cost Me anything.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tommythegreektommythegreek New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    That is exactly my predicament. If a BG is in my house there is a 90% chance both of the kids rooms will be behind him when I take aim and shoot. I wouldn't want to risk my children's lives anymore than they would already be. I wouldn't need to shoot through plate or glass in my house. I have other rounds for carry.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    mkk41 wrote: »
    I'd also bet that the surgeons will miss a few pieces of that #12 shot the first time too. :guns:

Probably won't matter. Any parts they're operating on are gonna be hash anyway.

Mike
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Maybe..... lead shows up quite nicely on xrays, so they should be able to locate all of it "on film" before the first incision is made
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

It is really nice when the lead gets into areas they can't operate on, so as not to damage nerves etc.....
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    I wouldn't count too much on them not over penetrating either.

I, uh (confession time) had a negligent discharge 20 years ago with the same round and caliber you purchased and it easily went through 3 walls (totalling 5 sheets of standard drywall), the 3rd with aluminum siding outside of it, then some foam insulation sandwiched with another sheet of siding. It cleared the neighbors roof by a few feet heading for an open field and swamp, thank god.

The holes they left did get progessively bigger, the last being perhaps 1/2 inch by 3/4.

I think their low deflection claim is what makes them appealing to some.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.