Home Main Category General Firearms

Somebody please "learn me." a 1:24 twist in a .308

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
I go to a LGS right across the street from my work where one of the empoyees is an older guy with military backround that owns pretty much EVERYTHING. When we were talking as I was browsing, He was talking about his LR rig chambered in .308 that has a 1:24 twist rate????? Im young and obviously no pro, but this didnt sound right to me. Granted I didnt ask what grain bullet, charge, etc.... Is he full of it, or did he just mis speak? I know for a fact he has a Barret .50 that he competes with somewhere in Colorado, but other than that, Im just taking his word for it. Will that twist be sufficient to stabalize a .308?

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,494 Senior Member
    I think he must be confused or was misunderstood.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    :uhm: My .308 is 1:10....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Not NO but Hell No. I have never heard of such nonsense. I think he's full of it. 308s usually come in 1-12 or 1-10 twist rates. I guess if you're trying to stabilize a 50 grain bullet in a .308 it might be feasible, if there is such a thing.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    FWIW, my .308 is 1:10

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Must be shooting those new high speed 40 grain bullets for the .308 Win. :jester:
    Didn't you know that a fast light weight bullet, will ALWAYS beat a heavy for caliber high BC bullet starting out slower at long-range?:uhm:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Must be shooting those new high speed 40 grain bullets for the .308 Win. :jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Lilja's fastest twist is 17 and Krieger's is 18 for 30 cal.
    I still don't know of anyone who has ever a had a 30 cal even as fast as above, little alone think it would be good for LR.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Didn't you know that a fast light weight bullet, will ALWAYS beat a heavy for caliber high BC bullet starting out slower at long-range?:uhm:

Of course. Everybody knows that.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sure he wasn't talking about his barrel length?

Somebody is more confused than a blind lesbian in a fish market:uhm::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member

:jester::jester::jester:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    I go to a LGS right across the street from my work where one of the empoyees is an older guy with military backround that owns pretty much EVERYTHING. When we were talking as I was browsing, He was talking about his LR rig chambered in .308 that has a 1:24 twist rate????? Im young and obviously no pro, but this didnt sound right to me. Granted I didnt ask what grain bullet, charge, etc.... Is he full of it, or did he just mis speak? I know for a fact he has a Barret .50 that he competes with somewhere in Colorado, but other than that, Im just taking his word for it. Will that twist be sufficient to stabalize a .308?
    Maybe, he was thinking about the barrel length?

Ask him again, he probably got confused. :confused:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Lilja's fastest twist is 17 and Krieger's is 18 for 30 cal.

Uhhh - - - - -Ernie- - - - -wouldn't that be "slowest" twist? I shoot a 1:66" twist in my .50 caliber chunk gun, but that one shoots a patched round ball only.

Edit: a 1:24" twist would work for some of the "muzzleloaders" that shoot some sort of jacketed conical bullet- - - - -the ones that look like a fiberglass-stocked fence post.

Jerry
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    That would be better known as #1.5 Buck

edited to add: available here
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-Buckshot-1-1_2-8lb-310/productinfo/SBK15/

I suppose it's possible to have a .308 caliber muzzleloader shooting round balls that would work with that twist rate. By the time you get the greased patch around it, I'm guessing #2 buckshot at (HORRORS!) .270" diameter would be just the thing for hunting. . .ummm, I dunno. . .mice.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Now that I think about it..... maybe he did get confused with barrel length. I know for a FACT that I asked him what rate of twist the barrel was. Maybe he was just having an off day. I'll try and give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Amen to that Bro Paul. Anyway, I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. There are some people that do a lot of things that seem to qualify them as some kind of expert, but if you dig deep you find out they don't know as much as you do. They just get into something and assume they know something about it, which many times they don't. I think that is the guy you're talking about.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yep, I got them turned around. Thanks for the correction.
    I guess I am so used to saying fast twist, I can't say "sloooooow twist"
    Teach wrote: »
    Uhhh - - - - -Ernie- - - - -wouldn't that be "slowest" twist? Jerry
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yep, I got them turned around. Thanks for the correction.I guess I am so used to saying fast twist, I can't say "sloooooow twist"
    Nope. Just getting old. :-)
    Nope. Just getting old. :-)
    And fat :D
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"