Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage Axis

gatorgator Senior MemberPosts: 1,746 Senior Member
So yesterday I had to go into Phx. and decided to stop in at Cabelas,was unaware of the big sale going on till I got there.I picked up a sale flyer as I walked in the door and saw they had the Axis for $50 off,So off to the gun counter I go.
I picked up a camo stocked one in .223 rem.with a cheapo Bushnell 3x9x40 scope.I took her home and run a brush and patch through the bore cleaned the bolt but decided not to go to the range cause it was 115 deg.
So I get up at 5 this morning and it's storming and looks like rain so I gotta wait awhile longer :angry:
Anyhow does anyone have any experiance with the Axis?seems like a pretty good gun and ought to be a right handy coyote getter.
Range report and pics to follow,later today I hope.
USMC 80-84
-96 lbs

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I think it used to be called the "Edge." I have one in .243. It's an honest 1.25 rifle, once I replaced the trigger...they have awful triggers.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    What did you replace the trigger with?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a Rifle Basix. It was a very simple task.
    First I'll see what she can do with the factory job but I'll keep your sugestion in mind,thanks.:up:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    It shot about the same with the original trigger on it, which was about 7 pounds, IIRC. It's just a WHOLE lot easier to shoot it with the better trigger. I think I picked up about a quarter inch with the better trigger.

I can almost always shoot around a heavy trigger, it just takes a lot more concentration.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I would imagine the factory trigger on the Edge or Axis is the same one that's on the Stevens Model 200. I worked on mine and polished the trigger and sear mating surfaces. Then there's a mickey mouse spring adjustment, but you gotta be careful because if you lighten it too much it will go off if you slam the bolt closed. I went a little far with mine at first and had to back it off about a turn. But now it breaks clean at about 3 pounds maybe 2.5. But it's a real crisp break. It's a simple trigger but not a bad one. However, I'll probably end up getting me a couple of Rifle Basix, one for the Stevens and one for my coming 110 7 Mag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Rifle Basix makes an $80 trigger, and Timney just came out with a $125 trigger as well.

I am trying to decide if I get an Axis and an $80 trigger, or one of the Marlin or Mossberg rifles with a good trigger built in.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Another question I have about the Axis-Edge, what is the difference between them and the Stevens 200 or the Savage 10-12-14-16-110-112-114-116?

The Remington 770 is a cheapified product. To me it doesn't even remotely resemble a 700. Also, the barrel isn't screwed in, but rather it is pinned to the action. If it wears out, I think you just throw the whole gun away. I don't know if there's enough metal there to cut threads into the action. However, I may be wrong on that. But, they are fairly accurate rifles. My friend has one in 300 Win Mag that's plenty accurate for a cheapo rifle.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Rifle Basix makes an $80 trigger, and Timney just came out with a $125 trigger as well.

I am trying to decide if I get an Axis and an $80 trigger, or one of the Marlin or Mossberg rifles with a good trigger built in.

I've seen this déjà vu before. We had the same discussion in the PMF. You might want to look at the Marlin X7 thread.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I've seen this déjà vu before. We had the same discussion in the PMF. You might want to look at the Marlin X7 thread.

Hey, I own a CSN&Y album called deja vu:tooth:

41o99XsXUNL_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    Savage first came out with the Axis, stepped on some company's toes and renamed it to the Edge.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
    drwalker47 wrote: »
    Savage first came out with the Axis, stepped on some company's toes and renamed it to the Edge.

Ok, but it was probably the reverse since it is now called the Axis (formerly Edge,) at their website.
    Yes you're right Pegasus. It came out as the Edge, then was renamed the Axis. But that's all I know about them. Again, does anyone know the difference between an Edge-Axis and a regular Savage or a Stevens 200? Like I pointed out in my other post, the Remington 770 looks nothing like a Model 700 and the barrel is pinned to the action. I think it is pressed in and pinned. But I have heard that the Edge-Axis is screwed into the action. So what is the main difference in it and the higher priced Models?
    Sorry Snake, I can't help you. I tried the Axis, hated the trigger so I bought a Marlin which has a great trigger and is wonderfully precise for the price point. I leave the Axis to others. (And I hate the new name to boot.)
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    Caution Thread Hi-Jacking in Progress

I read (Rimfire Central, I think) there is a 22LR Axis coming out in the not too distant future.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "I picked up a camo stocked one in .223 rem.with a cheapo Bushnell 3x9x40 scope.I took her home and run a brush and patch through the bore cleaned the bolt but decided not to go to the range cause it was 115 deg."

You shoulda gone shooting !!!! why let a lil ole hot day put you off ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I made it to the range just before sundown and ran some rounds through the axis.
    I put a different scope on her because the factory Bushnell Sportsman wes so short I could not get the proper eye relief.
    I had a BSA Sweet 223 scope in the closet so I mounted it up and out the door I go.
    I set the target up at 25 yds cause I don't have a bore sighter and wanted to get on paper with the first shots.
    Set up at the bench and fire my first 3 cloverleaf,5'' low and 6'' right,Ok lets go turn some knobs.
    Now I know that a 1/4 moa click scope takes 16 clicks to the inch at 25 yds.........So 16x5=78 clicks up and that means 96 clicks left.........guess what? Not enough clicks left.........got about 80 was all.......so now I got me some mounting problems to solve........Any suggestions?
    Anyway here is a pic of the rifle and one pf the last target I had to hold at 9:00 of the red but it's 5 shots in one ragged hole so I think the rifle is gonna be the cats meow on coyotes.
    001-5.jpg
    004.jpg
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Sorry Snake, I can't help you. I tried the Axis, hated the trigger so I bought a Marlin which has a great trigger and is wonderfully precise for the price point. I leave the Axis to others. (And I hate the new name to boot.)

To tell the truth Peg, if I want a cheaper Savage, I'll go with either the Stevens Model 200 or go to a gun auction like Gun Broker, and find me a Savage under bid. I won a bid for a Model 110 7 Rem. Mag about 2 weeks back for $205. That's cheap for me, but I'm going to keep looking at auctions with Savages on them and try to get one for $150-$160 range. But I still would rather have an Axis over the Remington 770 Cheapo. It has very little to do with a Model 700 while the Edge-Axis is very close with a few minor differences than the Model 10-110 series.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,274 Senior Member
    Sure does shoot, congratulations.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.