Home Main Category General Firearms

Coming Out Of The Closet - Bought a Savage

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,496 Senior Member
You know some things you can only hide for so long, so I decided to come clean before I was ratted out:blah:
When the Striker first came out, I bought one, and immediately was disenchanted with its trigger.
A call to Greg Tannel was made to find what was available as far as aftermarket triggers.
Basix made one, so I spent money to get a replacement and shipped it to Gre-Tan Rifles for a trigger overhaul.
After multiple hours Greg finally gave up, as the trigger was only slightly better than it was at first.:angry:
As you can guess, this did not stay in my safe very long.
Savage discontinued the Striker as Remington has done with the XP-100.
There are three Gen's of Strikers, and with each new Gen the triggers got better.
Warp drive to the present.
Found a newer (guessing it was a 2nd or 3rd generation trigger) Striker in 243 Win for a good deal.
Chuck worked on the trigger before I got there to pick it up, and got it down to a clean 22 ounces:worthy:
Must have been a 3rd generation Striker, now I knew it was going to be a keeper.

Next, what should I rebarrel it for, knowing my enjoyment of shooting distance?
It is also easy to make the Striker a switch barrel, so feel free to give me multiple cartridges.
I am not keeping the original barrel.

I have made one choice already, and I wonder which of you will guess it first?:uhm:
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Dude, you've got so many different chamberings, I can't even remember them all to suggest another! I say chamber that sucker for .375 Ruger and put a red dot sight on it. Then head to Africa and make us proud.:applause:
    On a side note (and where I got the above idea) My Mentor during a bout of boredom or insanity, put an AimPoint on his HS Precision Specialty Pistol in .223 at started nailing the 500 yard gong with it. Just because he got tired of doing it with a scope.

So, there's your motivation.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    I am liking your Mentor more all the time-He Shoots SP's!!!:applause:
    This almost sounds like a challenge to me?:uhm:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    On a side note (and where I got the above idea) My Mentor during a bout of boredom or insanity, put an AimPoint on his HS Precision Specialty Pistol in .223 at started nailing the 500 yard gong with it. Just because he got tired of doing it with a scope.

So, there's your motivation.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Well, two life-changing events on the same day! Best of luck with your new lifestyle AND firearm.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    Well, two life-changing events on the same day! Best of luck with your new lifestyle AND firearm.

:roll2:

Gene, that is the funniest thing I've ever seen you post! :applause:
    I wondered if someone might take a swing at that :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I wouldn't mind having a Beowulf in a Handi Rifle. Do they make one?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Not the 6.5-284 or the 7-08
    Both great choices-You guys are good, but that is not it:uhm:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Not the 6.5-284 or the 7-08
    Both great choices-You guys are good, but that is not it:uhm:

Coming out of the closet.............Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bought a Savage.......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Must be going to make it a.................270......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    All good options.
    260 Rem (I have had them before), but no.
    Lazz cartridges, had the 7.82 Patriot before the WSM's were around, but no-none of them.
    270 Win., never had one, but no. If I do a .277 caliber, it will be the 270 WSM or 270 SAUM.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    All good options.260 Rem (I have had them before), but no.Lazz cartridges, had the 7.82 Patriot before the WSM's were around, but no-none of them.270 Win., never had one, but no. If I do a .277 caliber, it will be the 270 WSM or 270 SAUM.
    Well? What is it? Knowing you propensity for wildcats I lay my money there. But I have no idea the full spectrum of options. Probably something with 6.5, 7mm, or .338 as the projectile.
    cpj wrote: »
    The Laz thing was a joke, as he told us here that a .308 Winchester was no good past 100 yards. Seriously.
    Not to mention that his cartridges were the only TRUE long range cartridges. He was quite full of himself to say the least.
    Not to mention that his cartridges were the only TRUE long range cartridges. He was quite full of himself to say the least.

Now that shot on the Goat was 40yds RIGHT???? That means you could use your 308 :uhm: WAIT!!! YOU DIDN'T hit that goat at over 400yds did you???? You know, I bet that goat would like for your 308 to have not been any good past 100yds :jester::jester::guns:
    The Laz thing was a joke, as he told us here that a .308 Winchester was no good past 100 yards. Seriously.

I know that but thanks for clarifying anyway.
    But, the big question is will a Lazz cartridge kill beyond 400 yards ;)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I know that but thanks for clarifying anyway.
    But, the big question is will a Lazz cartridge kill beyond 400 yards ;)

It will kill beyond 400 yards on elk (180 SGK):applause:, but I am not chambering the Striker in it.
    IMG_6696.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    It will kill beyond 400 yards on elk (180 SGK):applause:, but I am not chambering the Striker in it.
    IMG_6696.jpg

Hey, good group out in the field on that elk, but why did it take three to kill it or were you just doing it to do it?
    If I took a pic of the entrance wound, you would see one of the reasons. 2-entrance holes are basically one-hole.
    Heard the meat report, on the first, didn't hear anything on the second, shot a tad lower on the third, and she went down.
    The cow couldn't move after the first shot, and if an elk is still standing, I am still shooting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    If I took a pic of the entrance wound, you would see one of the reasons. 2-entrance holes are basically one-hole.
    Heard the meat report, on the first, didn't hear anything on the second, shot a tad lower on the third, and she went down.
    The cow couldn't move after the first shot, and if an elk is still standing, I am still shooting.

Got ya, I knew you had a reasons and if it is still standing, I am with you on that one.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Don't forget the Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender were the only decent scope makers out there. Leupolds, Nikons, and Burris all made scopes that went south after a box of ammo or so.

Dan called him to the carpet on that.
    I'm just here for snark.
    That is crazy. I had a couple of Burris LER's that held zero and were repeatable.
    FWIW-Swaro's have had a problem in the past (Not sure now) for not holding zero, plus they didn't have enough internal MOA in the turrets for LR shooting.
    I think they have improved there as well.
    I would challenge him as well.
    You bring your Swaro, and I will bring my XP with a Burris on it, and I bet I don't get embarrassed:guns:
    Don't forget the Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender were the only decent scope makers out there. Leupolds, Nikons, and Burris all made scopes that went south after a box of ammo or so.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member

There's something in this world to silly to comprehend. His unbridled bashing tried, true, and tested platforms and products was painful, at best, and insulting at worst. Calling any of those manufacturers out to that degree defies responsible thinking and speaking.

Nobody ever accused Laz of having mastered the art of subtle endorsement. While I think it's safe to say that most of us on here wouldn't be in the price point for his rifles, he could've at least earned some interest if not for seemingly every one of his posts ending in "...and that's why you should buy a Lazzeroni!" It really was embarrassing.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Lazz's brass was very strong (handled pressure well), but from a quality control stand point it stunk compared with RWS, Lapua, and Norma.
    My rig had a tight neck chamber, so it was incredibly obvious the inconsistency of the brass.
    Once I did all of the brass prep the rig shot awesome (7.82 Patriot in a center-grip XP).
    5326Patriot_XP.jpg
    Same XP with different stock, 700 yard shot:
    5326Patriot_XP_1_shot_700.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Oh by the way, you owe us $5 for saying you have a gun and not producing a picture. Forum rules. No pics.......no gun........and fibbing costs you $5.00. Even for a Savage. ;-)
    It is at Mac's Gunworks.
    Where did this $5 rule come from?
    Is there a $5 rule for ambivalence?:win:
    I will come through with a pic this week...
    Oh by the way, you owe us $5 for saying you have a gun and not producing a picture. Forum rules. No pics.......no gun........and fibbing costs you $5.00. Even for a Savage. ;-)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    This is a good question. However, it makes no nevermind. No Pics=no gun=5 bucks. Pay up, sucka.
    Yeah, don't you worry about where they come from. Rules is rules. Even if we don't remember why we have them. We will put it on your tab and hold it till you produce the evidence.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    How can you tell which generation a Striker is? Besides the trigger pull:jester:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

John is John and I really can't hold anything against him. He's a true capitalist, trying to market his product. I guess he figures that 3 out of 5 people will buy into his BS and buy his rifles. No doubt if I had a lot more money than I do right now, I would probably try one of his rifles. But I'm more of a Remington-Winchester-Ruger-Savage-Weatherby-etc. type person and my pockets aint that deep. I've had a .308 and I know damn well it is good Way Yonder past 100 yards. I don't have one right now and don't have a burning desire to own one at this time. But in my present financial condition I'd buy one before I got a Lazzaroni.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I guess he figures that 3 out of 5 people will buy into his BS and buy his rifles.

That's being generous. I doubt it is anywhere NEAR that high.