Home Main Category General Firearms

Coming Out Of The Closet - Bought a Savage

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    1st gen
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/firstgenstrikertrigger.jpg
    2nd gen
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/DSCN0012-1.jpg

third gen looks like second with the difference being 2 metal tabs on the mag box to sandwich the linkage arm, reducing sideways play.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    There's just something about an XP-100 that looks sexy. Oh, but not in yellow. Black, yes. Definitely not yellow. But hey, I can fix that for you. :-)
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    John is John and I really can't hold anything against him. He's a true capitalist, trying to market his product. I guess he figures that 3 out of 5 people will buy into his BS and buy his rifles. No doubt if I had a lot more money than I do right now, I would probably try one of his rifles. But I'm more of a Remington-Winchester-Ruger-Savage-Weatherby-etc. type person and my pockets aint that deep. I've had a .308 and I know damn well it is good Way Yonder past 100 yards. I don't have one right now and don't have a burning desire to own one at this time. But in my present financial condition I'd buy one before I got a Lazzaroni.

IIRC Savage used (pre accutrigger) to chamber it's Model 16 in 7.82 Patriot...Johns attempt to get his product into the hands of the common scum...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    Ernie,
    you being the specialty handgun guy I would like you opinion on the Anschutz line of bolt action handguns. I have always had a thing for the old Exemplar model chambered in 22 hornet and would love to have one but scarce as hens teeth comes to mind.
    The newer incarnations like the 17LP has me interested as well. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Sako
    I am using that stock right now, but it is not yellow.
    The black stock broke a number of years ago.
    I really like your paint/coat work.:agree:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    There's just something about an XP-100 that looks sexy. Oh, but not in yellow. Black, yes. Definitely not yellow. But hey, I can fix that for you. :-)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I think I have a forend I am going to send you for some "work" but it is not yellow.
    I can fix that for you. :-)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have never owned or shot any of them and the same is true of the Sako SP's, and the Ultra Arm's SP.
    I am sure they would be great, but since I have never used them, I can't say from experience.
    Since I am not a regular gunwriter for a hardcover magazine, I don't get all the new stuff when it comes out.
    If I was, I may not last lone since I am not PC, so my review may or may not be favorable.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Ernie,
    you being the specialty handgun guy I would like you opinion on the Anschutz line of bolt action handguns. I have always had a thing for the old Exemplar model chambered in 22 hornet and would love to have one but scarce as hens teeth comes to mind.
    The newer incarnations like the 17LP has me interested as well. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Sako
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    Nice rig. I wouldn't mind owning one of these. What kind of accuracy can you get out of one of these compared to a rifle of the same caliber. I know there ar varibles.....what rifle......what cartridge...etc. Let's just say a rifle that shoots steady MOA.
    A well built specialty handgun will shoot as accurately or even better than most rifles.
    I usually shoot from the .1 to under 1/2" at 100 yards
    Hondo wrote: »
    Nice rig. I wouldn't mind owning one of these. What kind of accuracy can you get out of one of these compared to a rifle of the same caliber. I know there ar varibles.....what rifle......what cartridge...etc. Let's just say a rifle that shoots steady MOA.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Wow Ernie that is really enticing. Think I need to look into one. What is a fair price on one of these?
    As far as currently made factory guns go, the MOA Maximum is the "best buy" for the money IMO.
    It is a falling block design, adj. trigger, interchangeable barrel system, that has the capability to embarrass many rifles.
    http://www.moaguns.com/
    http://www.moaguns.com/coldturkey.html
    This will give you a lot of info and pictures, especially if you click on the different years of the competition.
    Price will vary depending on barrel, length, brake, and forend options.
    If you decide you want to go that route you could give me a call, and I would be glad to help you spec it out, once I know what you want.
    The custom XP-100 route is more expensive.
    Wow Ernie that is really enticing. Think I need to look into one. What is a fair price on one of these?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    I have never owned or shot any of them and the same is true of the Sako SP's, and the Ultra Arm's SP.
    I am sure they would be great, but since I have never used them, I can't say from experience.
    Since I am not a regular gunwriter for a hardcover magazine, I don't get all the new stuff when it comes out.
    If I was, I may not last lone since I am not PC, so my review may or may not be favorable.

Thanks for the response. Figured you may have run across one at some point.

Sako
    If I ever do, I will share my thoughts.
    There is several handguns I would enjoy doing reviews on.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    1st gen
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/firstgenstrikertrigger.jpg
    2nd gen
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/DSCN0012-1.jpg

third gen looks like second with the difference being 2 metal tabs on the mag box to sandwich the linkage arm, reducing sideways play.

Very helpful, thanks. I am going to contact Savage to see if there are some serial # ranges also.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks Ernie. I very well may take you up on that. I likeeeeeee!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    That's being generous. I doubt it is anywhere NEAR that high.

Yeah that is generous, but I wasn't talking realistic, just how John would think (Wishfully).
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Also, for the prices he's charging for those damn things, he could sell one to every 30ith person and still come out ahead.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    5326Kristen_250yd_MOA_6_5-284.jpg
    This is a buck my daughter took at 250 yards-poor light for picture.
    Then this was when she was a senior, with the skull of an elk she killed with it.
    Kristen1MOA.jpg
    Thanks Ernie. I very well may take you up on that. I likeeeeeee!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Lucky girl to have a dad like you, that takes her hunting. But I guess she knows that. The man that marries her will also be a lucky guy. He will have a beautiful wife with her head screwed on right and a father in law to take him hunting.
    Ernie, that is an awesome picture of your daughter. Very attractive young lady and pistol.
    First time I ever took her to a 1000 yard match (IBS, Pella, IA), a man let her use his LG and taught her to shoot it free recoil-After she shot it several times breaking clay pigeons at a grand, she turned around, said, "Dad this is so easy!"
    The following day (Sat) at the match she used his rifle and made the shoot-off for score.
    That got the attention of the guys, because most of them knew it was her first time to shoot a center-fire rifle the previous day.
    She shot that MOA 6.5-284 for the Club Handgun Class and placed there as well.
    She started shooting a Chipmunk 22lr when she was 5 or 6, then started shooting specialty handguns (XP's & MOA's) a year or two later.
    She is married to a man who just finished serving in the Army. He was in the sand, been there and done that.
    I am a little of an oxymoron for him I think.
    The combo of the diversified types of shooting I do and those who are my close friends, combined with ministry is confusing I think.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Lucky girl to have a dad like you, that takes her hunting. But I guess she knows that. The man that marries her will also be a lucky guy. He will have a beautiful wife with her head screwed on right and a father in law to take him hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    That's being generous. I doubt it is anywhere NEAR that high.

Yeah, I was thinking around 3-5% may buy the hype.
    Yeah but at his prices that's still enough to make him wealthy.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Hint - 6mm
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hint - 6mm

6mm-338 Lapua AI!!!!!!

Am I right?
    Uh, no. :)
    Ernie