Home Main Category Personal Defense

Cost of getting a CCW?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,111 Senior Member
My wife and I are seriously considering getting our CCW. We've put it off for years mostly because we don't want the government to know any more about us than necessary. Now, with the craziness going on in the Colorado state legislature, now may be the time to act before it's too late.

We've looked into this, and see that it costs the following.

- $100 processing, payable in cash, money order or local county check.

- $52 CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) fee (for running a background check, I think), payable by cashier's check or money order only.

- Handgun traning certificate, which means that you have to take some sort of training and demonstrate competence with a handgun. For this, you have to find a certified instructor (not hard), and pay whatever that person charges for their course. From what I know, most such courses run around $80 per person.

All of which means one is looking at an outlay of about $250 just to get the permit, and wait for ever long how the background check takes. I know one person who has been waiting for several weeks for the check. Seems like they could be a lot faster than this.

Is this in line with what other states charge?

And please, hold the Colorado bashing to a minimum. We have a 2nd amendment forum for that. I'm really only interested in finding out whether or not these costs are in line with what other states charge.

Thanks,
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    PA is 21 dollars. Go to the Sherrifs office for the form, fill it out and return it. You should already know how to shoot before you get the permit so that is the fee for background check and lamination. 5 years and another 21 for renewal.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    I should point out that Colorado allows open carry. For that, you do not need any sort of permit or special permission from the state. Just make sure your firearm is plainly visible.

The last few times I've been at the local Walmart, I've seen folks with their sidearms on their belts, in plain sight.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I've researched it. It's about $130 total for a standard CCW. That's $100 for the permit, then fingerprinting at the police station or highway patrol for $25, and 2 passport type photos, however much that would be. There's a whole list of places that a CCW holder is banned from carrying in, such as schools, any place of worship, public parks, establishments whose main business is selling alcohol to be drunk on the premises, courthouses, etc. There is an "enhanced" CCW that would let me carry in most of these places, except for courtrooms, police stations, and, shall we say, "places of ill repute." There's a required class for the enhanced CCW that's priced by the individual instructors, seems to be somewhere around $70-$100.
    So it's either $130ish, or $220ish.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    PA is also open carry. Don't see it much though.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    200 is what the initial outlay of cash was 100 to sheriff, 100 to take class, but it also cost me at least one new pistol as yet maybe more. I wish I could buy bullets for them.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    $50 for the class, $115 for the permit, three seperate trips to the DMV, $50 to Kansas to get my "state" issued birth certificate. Worth every penny. $50 for my renewal in August.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    $65 for the class and $65 to the Sheriff in Oregon. Good for four years and for a non-specific handgun. I think the renewal is $60. Ours isn't good in very many other states which is a pain. I'm thinking of getting on for Utah to cover the surrounding states except for Cal. (I don't think anyone's is good in Cal.)

Hawk
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,390 Senior Member
    $25/year paid to the county sheriff.
    Alabama law requires an expiration date of 1 year or less. So, I either have to go 1 day with an expired permit every year, or back up my renewal date 1 day per year
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jigbonejigbone Member Posts: 182 Member
    In Georgia it's $75 - $89 depending on the county. Get fingerprinted at the county sheriff's office, pay your fee, no classes required. The time it takes to get the license in the mail varies. In our county, the sheriff just started a program whereby if you take a basic firearm safety course and prove you can handle your weapon safely, they'll allow you to use the sheriff's range one day per week no charge.
    ATF should not be a government agency, it should be a discount store.
    :usa:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,921 Senior Member
    In Fla. if you have a DD214, that counts for the training, no other class required. Cost is about $117. By going to Dept of Agriculture, it's one stop shopping. They do background check, photos, and prints. Takes about one week to get permi. If you sent it in by mail, it's about six months.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    A hunter's safety course will also substitute for the training. They're more concerned with you being safe gun-handling wise.

Oh, and the cost is $42 for the initial background check and prints, I believe, and $75 for the permit. Permit lasts 7 years, too.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,807 Senior Member
    For initial permit
    $50 for the class, classroom and shooting
    $100 to Sheriff for permit and background investigation.
    $5 to local mental health facility for a records check.
    30-90 day wait.

For renewal
    $95 to Sheriff
    90 day wait, but, they notify you early so your old permit is good during the wait.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    The required class with a state certified instructor:
    Me, a while ago: $115.00
    The wife recently: $50.00
    The instructors can fingerprint you or you can go to the main state police barracks, which is what we both did. it's a $145.00 for the back ground check.
    my class was more hands on shooting wise than her's was.
    If you qualify with a revolver then that's all you can carry, so she used my Kahr.'Cause if you qualify with a semi then you can carry either.
    They told her they were 120 days out based on volume. With a stern warning on the website to not bother them til it's been over 120 days.
    Our CCLs look like a driver's license.
    Sometimes I wish I hadn't read Unintended Consequences just yet.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    Jerry, when i got my CO. CCW in Clear Creek County it took less than 2 weeks, keep in mind that i already had a Florida permit, and I showed them my N.R.A. rifle, pistol, shotgun, and home saftey certifications, and copies of my FFL.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Sounds kind of like MT. $55 for the fees + whatever your class costs. You can skip the class if you're LEO or have some sort of paper work from the military saying you used pistols. I think hunters safety card works too (which seems odd...) Then it's like 35 every 5 years to renew.

Luckly though MT is pretty quick about it. The paper says wait 6-12 weeks or some such but I had my permit in under a week, from what I hear that's the normal turn around time in my county.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Wyoming regulations differ by county sheriffs...where I am, it's $75.00 & hunters safety card + background check. Renew every 5 years, not sure on renewal costs. I think it's $50.00
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    To the best of my recollection, that $250 seems to be in line with what I spent for the initial permit. I did mine at a 'one-stop' indoor range that was set up to do digital fingerprinting, teach the class, and burn 100 rounds on the range. 50 rounds were for the practice run, in which the newbies were given basic safety training and some fundamentals of shooting a pistol. The other 50 rounds were for the actual 'test,' which nobody failed. It was easy and somewhat fun.

We left with a brown envelope that needed to be mailed, and then about 8 weeks later, the ID card arrived. Some have gotten theirs back much sooner, and some much later.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    The Irony is strong.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    In Tenn., You take the class, $50 to $100+. Fee for the permit and background check is $115, non-refundable. With a $50 renewal, every 4 years. The state must have your permit in your hand, within 90 days or provide proof of denial.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    My wife and I are seriously considering getting our CCW. We've put it off for years mostly because we don't want the government to know any more about us than necessary. Now, with the craziness going on in the Colorado state legislature, now may be the time to act before it's too late.

We've looked into this, and see that it costs the following.

- $100 processing, payable in cash, money order or local county check.

- $52 CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) fee (for running a background check, I think), payable by cashier's check or money order only.

- Handgun traning certificate, which means that you have to take some sort of training and demonstrate competence with a handgun. For this, you have to find a certified instructor (not hard), and pay whatever that person charges for their course. From what I know, most such courses run around $80 per person.

All of which means one is looking at an outlay of about $250 just to get the permit, and wait for ever long how the background check takes. I know one person who has been waiting for several weeks for the check. Seems like they could be a lot faster than this.

Is this in line with what other states charge?

And please, hold the Colorado bashing to a minimum. We have a 2nd amendment forum for that. I'm really only interested in finding out whether or not these costs are in line with what other states charge.

Thanks,

Here the course on the range is taught by the same person that gives the classroom course. Also, I think the Federal FBI does our background, and may be why we don't have to go through the background check when we buy a gun. All we do i show our CCL. I think other than that, the price is close. But I think since we don't have to pay another instructor for the range course ours is gonna be about $80-100 cheaper.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    You shoulda stayed in Texas!!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Wait! Hold Everything! You have open carry in Colorado? What's the deal, just carry the damn thing where we can see it. Then Bubba the bad guy ain't messin with you!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tchad78tchad78 New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    Wait, some states make you ask permission to carry? Glad I live in Vermont. My permit is being a law abiding American. Doesn't the second say "Shall not be infringed"?
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    [QUOTE=snake284 just carry the damn thing where we can see it. Then Bubba the bad guy ain't messin with you!!![/QUOTE]

Or be the first one to get shot!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,807 Senior Member
    tchad78 wrote: »
    Wait, some states make you ask permission to carry? Glad I live in Vermont. My permit is being a law abiding American. Doesn't the second say "Shall not be infringed"?

That is cool; but, only 4 other states let you CCW and they aren't next door.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Up here in Adams County, we are looking at an average of $150 for a training class with range verification, or DD 214 with in 10 yrs of separation. $12 for a couple Walgreen's passport photos, $12 for fingerprinting. I would have to re-look into current pricings.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »

Right, the Israelis figured this out a long time ago when terrorists would shoot the uniformed cops on the bus first. I remember reading a story years ago about how armed citizens foiled an attack and the lone surviving terrorist was seriously pissed because no one warned him that little old ladies carried CCW.
    This is also one of the reasons that unless open carry were my only option to carry, I probably wouldn't. Carry openly that is.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    If I recall it was $80 for the class and $65 to DPS and $42 every 5 years to renew.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    U T wrote: »

Yeah, that's very true. I think I'll stick to concealed. I just thought the idea was cool.
    Right, the Israelis figured this out a long time ago when terrorists would shoot the uniformed cops on the bus first. I remember reading a story years ago about how armed citizens foiled an attack and the lone surviving terrorist was seriously pissed because no one warned him that little old ladies carried CCW.
    This is also one of the reasons that unless open carry were my only option to carry, I probably wouldn't. Carry openly that is.

I actually knew better but put my mouth in gear before thinking. I remember someone on here pointed this out before and it made a lot of sense.
    tchad78 wrote: »

Tell Obama and all the antis. But they don't pay attention to the Constitution anyway. It just gets in the way of there agenda. If Obummer ever gets a chance he'll do away with the Constitution as we know it. All these progressives think it's a living document that can be changed at any whim. Granted, there are cases when change is needed, but not when on a whim. However, I don't like the idea of anyone messing with those first 10 amendments. They should be sacred. The only reason the BOR are called amendments is because they forgot to put them in there the first time, so when it was decided to add them, the only way was to amend the Constitution. Hence the name Amendments.